Golf team starting strong

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
2 up over 2 rds to Wake, 9 ahead of Free Shoes in 3rd. #2 Carolina is 15 back.
Likely to get rained out today. Lots of rain up here today with severe weather at times. Sandy soil in Pinehurst so it drains fast but lightning will keep them off the course. I would expect today's round will be played Sunday and maybe first matches in the afternoon if they want to finish Monday.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Likely to get rained out today. Lots of rain up here today with severe weather at times. Sandy soil in Pinehurst so it drains fast but lightning will keep them off the course. I would expect today's round will be played Sunday and maybe first matches in the afternoon if they want to finish Monday.
That’s exactly what happened.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Rain in Chapel Hill has stopped for now. May get some golf in today but they were predicting a second round of storms this afternoon.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Golf team tearing it up this morning opening up a huge lead. Currently in the lead by 12 shots @ 23 under with about 4 holes to play. Second place Wake is 11 under. If the standings remain the same Tech will start match play against UVA who has a 1 shot lead over Duke. Wake and FSU would be the other match. Hopefully we carry this momentum into match play which will be televised on the ESPN app at 2:00.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Golf team tearing it up this morning opening up a huge lead. Currently in the lead by 12 shots @ 23 under with about 4 holes to play. Second place Wake is 11 under. If the standings remain the same Tech will start match play against UVA who has a 1 shot lead over Duke. Wake and FSU would be the other match. Hopefully we carry this momentum into match play which will be televised on the ESPN app at 2:00.
Nice to win the stroke play but ACC winner is based on match play. Would be nice to have one of our guys win individual stroke play as well. I think they are only taking top 4 into match play. Surprised UNC didn't do better but I didn't see Greaser listed on their team roster. He is very good but glad he isn't playing. Our guys just need to keep making birdies.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Nice to win the stroke play but ACC winner is based on match play. Would be nice to have one of our guys win individual stroke play as well. I think they are only taking top 4 into match play. Surprised UNC didn't do better but I didn't see Greaser listed on their team roster. He is very good but glad he isn't playing. Our guys just need to keep making birdies.
We did. Hiroshi Tai eagled the 18th hole to tie for first at -9. Tech had 4 golfers in the top 11. And all 5 guys shot under par. As said before match play is a different animal so we need to carry this momentum into the matches. I assume they will only have time to get the semis in and the finals will be tomorrow.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Won semi. Not easy. Go Jackets.
Lots of strong finishes:

Lamprecht 2 down after 8, wins 2&1
Steelman tied at 7, wins 2&1

and the supersized comeback belonged to Forrester who was down 4 after 5, managed a tie.

Hiroshi just flat out whipped his guy.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I have played that course. It is pretty tough with lots of water on the back. Looks a little different on TV. As number 1 seed we should not have had the later tee times. Wake has more time to rest between rounds but this is the ACC bias at play. Duke could actually have gone back to Durham each night. It is only an hour and half drive. Their team practices some at my club when they want to practice on bent rather than Bermuda greens. Same for their women team . They have a nice course on their campus. My course is about a mile from Duke campus so lots of Duke employees are members including their new MBB coach.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
@g0lftime That damn dook announcer was making me want to vomit. I usually don't swear watching golf but my wife was getting mad because I kept yelling at the tablet I was watching the game one. ***** *** mother****ers, both he and his sidekick. They kept talking about how tough Wake was gonna be tomorrow because of how good they played today. Hey jackwad, GT just beat them by 14 strokes today.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
@g0lftime That damn dook announcer was making me want to vomit. I usually don't swear watching golf but my wife was getting mad because I kept yelling at the tablet I was watching the game one. ***** *** mother****ers, both he and his sidekick. They kept talking about how tough Wake was gonna be tomorrow because of how good they played today. Hey jackwad, GT just beat them by 14 strokes today.
I am hoping our A game shows up again today. I thought the announcers were slanted to Dook. I got a little nervous that Dook was going to make a comeback the last few holes. That 18th hole is interesting. There is a long carry over water if willing to risk it plus a tree sits on the desired line on a small island. It is a lot more uphill on the next shot than it shows on tv. I was playing it with our club pros. Both took it over the tree and had irons into the green. I didn't even consider that line. Forrester got lucky the Duke kid chunked his chip shot there after he had gone into the penalty area. That was a huge mistake in a very tight match. Can't afford to do that today. It was pretty dark when they finished. You get a little more afternoon daylight in Atlanta than we do. I couldn't believe they were going to play any more holes. Glad we didn't need that point.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Great win today. Really happy for our players and coaches. Good to be an ACC Champion in something. It's been a very bleak year. The win over UNC in FB and MBB over Miami were good wins in a down year. I'm ready for some success this fall.