Going on the Record

How many games does Tech win next season?

• 0-3

• 7+

Results are only viewable after voting.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Much like Slug I just think that there are so many question marks all I can do is hope that most are resolved in a positive fashion so we can get to 6 wins and a bowl.

At the end of the day though I think our wins are mostly determined by our OL and DL play. The OL is arguably a little more talented, but it is much less experienced and will have a new player calling the signals for the line. Will that lack of experience be taken advantage of by opposing defenses to confuse the OL.

On the DL are the guys that were backups last year ready to be starters and play better than the starters we had last year. Can they provide any disruption at all. We have had almost no mayhem in the last 3 years. The defense is what was supposed to keep GT competitive until the offense could make its transition, that has not been what has happened so far.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Do you mean the part where he said the interview process of Long was all about how he could elevate Sims’s game, instead of how they could elevate the “generic QB” play? So when it comes to “Competition is King”it only applies to 21/22 positions, or maybe that was just a slip of the tongue.
That was a big part of it, but also right before that when he describes the QB room, he gushes over Sims like he always does, then talks about Pyron and all of his accolades, then barely even mentions Gibson's existence. I doubt anything could get Collins off the Sims train. We are just going to have to hope Weinke and Long can get him playing at a higher level.

Jmonty71

Banned
I picked 4 and thought..."Am I just being pessimistic?". Then I saw the numbers.... Guess I am not the only one... Low expectations, for most.. I think we got a really tough schedule and lose 3 of the first 4 games. Depending on how the team responds will determine the rest of the season.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
The lynchpin to our season will be the first 4 games. If we don’t come out of that stretch at least 2-2 then it’s going to be a LOOONG season. If we could come out of that 3-1 then 6 wins would not be out of the realm of possibility

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
That was a big part of it, but also right before that when he describes the QB room, he gushes over Sims like he always does, then talks about Pyron and all of his accolades, then barely even mentions Gibson's existence. I doubt anything could get Collins off the Sims train. We are just going to have to hope Weinke and Long can get him playing at a higher level.
I think Collins is off the super long term loyalty trait with anyone except Key.
The defensive back field coaches an #1,#2,3 used up that trait. Hopefully we are completely past giving team points for style in running to line up.
I think S , Z, & G will get plenty of "Spring and Fall " . IMO, QB / OC will judge who can read /react AND be super accurate w short and mid range AND THAT WILL BE STARTER. Sims has a good chance of winning a extra point because he has several years of playibg QB behind blocking looks like chaos.

Let's hope one steps up and raises the bar.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I picked 4 and thought..."Am I just being pessimistic?". Then I saw the numbers.... Guess I am not the only one... Low expectations, for most.. I think we got a really tough schedule and lose 3 of the first 4 games. Depending on how the team responds will determine the rest of the season.
60% on here said 4 or less.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Do you mean the part where he said the interview process of Long was all about how he could elevate Sims’s game, instead of how they could elevate the “generic QB” play? So when it comes to “Competition is King”it only applies to 21/22 positions, or maybe that was just a slip of the tongue.
He was specifically asked a question about QB competition and he essentially deflected it by talking at length about how good Sims is and how much progress he is making. Did not really acknowledge that any other QB would get a chance to play.

Could be that he wants Sims to feel confident by communicating that his position is not at risk. But, no, competition is not a factor at QB at this point.

Jmonty71

Banned
Here's me going on the record.. I think we win 4 games... After the season not only is Collins fired, but also Todd Stansbury is fired. You'd think that, at some point, GT would stop dishing out insane amounts of money to untested coaches... I think Long takes over in the 2023 season and starts getting the program turned around some. However; Collins set this program back 5 years, from ever becoming competitive again. That me...going on the record.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Here's me going on the record.. I think we win 4 games... After the season not only is Collins fired, but also Todd Stansbury is fired. You'd think that, at some point, GT would stop dishing out insane amounts of money to untested coaches... I think Long takes over in the 2023 season and starts getting the program turned around some. However; Collins set this program back 5 years, from ever becoming competitive again. That me...going on the record.
This sounds about right to me.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
If we win 4 games, Collins will be gone, but I doubt Stansbury would be fired. Cabrera doesn't seem very cutthroat on athletics, and a lot of the other teams are performing well. You also mention untested coaches then suggest Long will take over, which doesn't add up. I think if Collins is fired it will be a complete changeover on the FB staff.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I put down 5.

Closer to the season I could see the line coming out as 4.5 and I let myself pick the optimistic side of that.

Don't say it JuiceMan..

Look, can the defense really get that much worse? I know, I won't hold my breath.

Jmonty71

Banned
If we win 4 games, Collins will be gone, but I doubt Stansbury would be fired. Cabrera doesn't seem very cutthroat on athletics, and a lot of the other teams are performing well. You also mention untested coaches then suggest Long will take over, which doesn't add up. I think if Collins is fired it will be a complete changeover on the FB staff.
I think GT will be in the hole, so bad, that we'll have to offer Long the HC job. I do think he gets traction and after 2 years, he gets offered a better job. At least I have a better feeling about Long than I ever did with Collins. Collins just reminds me of that co-worker that takes credit for everyone else's work and plays the political game, to get promoted. I cannot respect that and it's sad that so many GT fans just blindly did so. And you are right. It could be a complete change over and we may be trending further backwards.

Last edited:

JacketFan137

Banned
“insane amounts of money” is a stretch.

he is on the very back end of ACC coaching salaries and would literally be the lowest salary in the SEC. the length of the contract is certainly a lot but i think when we decided to move to modern offense no coach wanted to come in and only have a 4 year contract. i have a feeling the next coach will not get that long of a leash

these numbers are from 2019 but the point remains. source: https://247sports.com/college/virgi...alaries-2019-USA-Today-137375898/#137375898_1

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
All of this seems plausible except Long getting the job. I wish someone would tell me where this fascination of Long becoming the head coach has come from. What exactly has he done in his career that screams good head coach?

JacketFan137

Banned
All of this seems plausible except Long getting the job. I wish someone would tell me where this fascination of Long becoming the head coach has come from. What exactly has he done in his career that screams good head coach?
ive said this before but i also think the idea he CANT become a head coach is a bit of a stretch too and is being repeated on here too much. he has 6 years of OC experience at the FBS level. 3 of those were with nationally competitive notre dame teams. including a trip to the playoffs. he’s been around a couple of different programs, and based on what we’ve seen from his press conferences he at least seems like he’s confident and knows what he’s doing

is he gonna be some superstar coach? no one knows, but the people that keep acting like he can’t be a head coach is a massive overcorrection imo

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
The only argument for it is that you can tab him as interim mid season and give him a chance and see if he can improve things.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The lynchpin to our season will be the first 4 games. If we don’t come out of that stretch at least 2-2 then it’s going to be a LOOONG season. If we could come out of that 3-1 then 6 wins would not be out of the realm of possibility

Interesting to lump 3 into a 0-3 choice. :sneaky:

I’m saying 3. We are nothing if not consistent! I see 9 bowl eligible teams on this schedule. Granted, 2 or 3 of them only get their 6th win with a win over us. So if we manage to win more than 3, it will be obvious that the schedule was weak and we still didn’t beat a P5 team with a winning record...
Not sure what to make of schedule, and Geoff Collins's relentless pursuit of a 4-win season. I think we get there, but no more, and the real issue is whether four wins gets him fired, or six wins gets an extension. (Stranger things have happened you know.) Getting Clemson out of the gate can tell us a lot about both programs. Clemson, after a 3-loss season of ridicule from the SEC and its water toter, Paul Finebaum, has risen from the grave and appears loaded. They still believe in their QB, have a great defense and running game coming back, and despite his sometimes goofy gamesmanship, an outstanding coach who did not get credit for the turnaround of 2021pppppp
I give up./ My keyboard beats ,me.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
No chance of an extension with 3 more years on his contract anyway and his dismal record.
Clemson will have new OC and DC. Rather catch them early than later.
Hope we start season without key injuries since we are thin and young in the DL. I saw no seniors listed on the DL. Mostly soph which could also include a COVID year. One junior. Five freshmen including 3 redshirt. Very young.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
ive said this before but i also think the idea he CANT become a head coach is a bit of a stretch too and is being repeated on here too much. he has 6 years of OC experience at the FBS level. 3 of those were with nationally competitive notre dame teams. including a trip to the playoffs. he’s been around a couple of different programs, and based on what we’ve seen from his press conferences he at least seems like he’s confident and knows what he’s doing

is he gonna be some superstar coach? no one knows, but the people that keep acting like he can’t be a head coach is a massive overcorrection imo
By this argument, almost anyone can be a head coach. That doesn't mean there aren't better options out there. I think he will improve our offense but we are talking about making him the head coach when the last few years he got fired from a major coordinator job, worked as an analyst for a middling program, and then took an OC job at a mediocre G5 school. I doubt he could get a HC job at any FBS school right now, but we seem to be pining for him for some reason.

JacketFan137

Banned
By this argument, almost anyone can be a head coach. That doesn't mean there aren't better options out there. I think he will improve our offense but we are talking about making him the head coach when the last few years he got fired from a major coordinator job, worked as an analyst for a middling program, and then took an OC job at a mediocre G5 school. I doubt he could get a HC job at any FBS school right now, but we seem to be pining for him for some reason.
eh we’ve seen guys take over at both the nfl and college level with similar resumes and they’ve gone on to be good. i’m not saying he’s the favorite to take the job at all and i don’t have strong feelings one way or the other at this point but it makes absolutely no sense to me why people are acting like it can’t happen, and like he can’t possibly have success

i think people need to be aware of our place in college football at this point and realize that he is basically gonna be in line with what we should expect as a candidate anyway, unless we drastically change from the top down and decide to commit to spending money. otherwise expect a p5 coordinator or an FCS/g5 head coach.

also to say he wouldn’t get hired at the fbs level is a massive stretch. there’s coaches that have worse resumes and ran some good programs into the ground a la muschamp and they got another opportunity. i don’t think it’s a stretch to say a guy who led three of notre dames best ever seasons offensively can’t get a job