Going on the Record

How many games does Tech win next season?

• 0-3

• 7+

Results are only viewable after voting.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
UNC, UVA, FSU, VT, PITT, UM are all winable IF we can get our crap together.
I’m putting Clemson there too. Im not confident we’ll get that one, but first game of the year, Clemson without Venables, us with new OC... I’m hoping they have no good film, maybe have some growing pains and we can play loose and make it another close one.
I think we are going to need all the confidence we can get coming out of that one. I feel like that one and Ole Miss can be constructive close loses. Outside of those two, we need to turn every close opportunity into a W or we could spiral.

slugboy

Staff member
At this point, I don’t know what we’ll see.
  1. Do we have enough talent on offense? definitely at the skill positions. We have enough talent to be in the top half of the ACC, even losing Gibbs, McGowan, and other players.
  2. Can we block well enough on offense to win? We lost players to graduation and injury. We’ve added others through transfer. Key is back at OL coach. We had multiple times during the year where a player looked confused by a stunt or other assignment. I’ve heard, but don’t know first hand, that we do more cross-training than most teams (moving players from left to right, guard to tackle, etc). Is this year different enough in coaching or experience or new players that the line gels and is at least average?
  3. What difference will the coaching changes make on offense? We have a new OC/TE coach, a new QB coach, and a new RB coach. Is the scheme a better fit for Sims? Does the QB coaching improve the reads?
  4. The defense has player changes all over the secondary, at LB, and on the line due to graduation and transfers. When you lose production off of a defense that’s had bad results, that’s a negative sign unless you have a strong influx of talent through recruiting or the portal.
  5. We have a new DL coach, and new DB coach, and a new LB coach. That looks like a revamp on paper. One of the big hopes for this team is that the new coaches make a massive change for the better in this defense.
To me, the unknowns for this team are as big as the year that Collins started. There are so many moving parts that if everything meshes together beautifully, you could see eight or nine wins. If nothing meshes, you could see two.

I have a difficult time seeing a massive miracle turnaround in one season with the same head coach—even a new head coach usually takes a few years of year-over-year improvement to turn a team around. While eight or nine wins is possible, it’s not really likely unless Collins has or had a life-changing revelation that changes up the direction of the team.

Having seen people in a “win or lose your job” situation, there’s usually an intense effort to save things, but it rarely works out. Occasionally, you’ll see someone with nothing to lose do all the things they wanted to do but didn’t because of peer pressure. I haven’t seen anything like that yet.

This team desperately needs to believe that they can win if they do the right things and don't freelance. The first four games are Clemson, WCU, Ole Miss, and UCF. If we're 2-2 after the first four, it's a struggle to win 6 games. If we're 1-3, we'll do well to win 4 total. The success of the season really depends on getting at least two upsets out of the first four games. The coaches really need to pull out all the stops.

The potential to win is definitely there. I have seen teams at rock bottom turn in around (they kicked a bunch of stars off the team and kept the ones who did what the coaches needed them to do).

The over/under on the team is probably 4 1/2 wins right now. I'll go "over" with 5.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I completely agree.

Will add - we play FSU 10/29 and Mia 2 weeks later. I hope these games will be nationally televised. They would be nationally televised if FSU and Mia looking like the are returning to being top teams. I think gt will be showing signs of life after a tough season start.

If we win by hook or crook , we are on the way up with Collins for another year.
Or
We can be kicked to the curb.
I am getting some optimism that the team will get fired up for these games.
Take a look at FSU’s schedule leading into our game. Wake @NCST Clemson plus LSU in sept. They’ll be 2-5 going into our game. They’re about as back as we are…..

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
6. Danny Hall is going to retire from baseball and come coach football. No more rah rah stuff, just more wins.

Really, no idea about our team and most other teams. Some are clear losses and a couple wins, so between 2-8. I want 6 and hope we can get there with the schedule.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Have to keep Sims vertical at least first few games to get our backups up to speed. He missed at least 4 last year. We have a shot at beating UCF and several toss ups with new coaches in the ACC but only at home.
The OL is the key to more winning and keeping key linemen without injury. We suddenly seem a little thin there. I expect the D to be about the same.
I think 4 wins but hope it is more.
What have you seen with Sims’s on field performance over 2 seasons vs. his “talent” makes you automatically default to him being the starter and not one of the other two?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
*Steps to the 🎙 *
*Taps it a few times, coughs and clears his throat*

Gary Vaynerchuk Hello GIF by GaryVee

I went 7+ and it’s not just gold colored glasses. Here we go, take a peek inside my optimism:

Week 1, feels like Weak 1: we get crushed. Clemson will be out for blood after a long offseason being told how poorly they performed last year. They’re bouncing at the gates to grab a w and we are the unfortunate sobs who play them.

Week 2, Mount the Catamounts: same but in reverse we let out the aggression from knowing we are a better team than last year and play with a sense of urgency. We show those cats from Western Carolina that dry rubbed pork > mustard BBQ and stomp the little guys. No longer shall we be beaten by the sisters of the poor teams. So hear me, we shan’t do that again. Also the OL situation starts to come together as the transfers gel (hopefully we will have picked up some more help in the portal but they missed the spring so are coming up to speed).

Week 3, us versus the rebellion: I believe we have to win this game to have a solid back half of the schedule. We grow up this week and beat the rebels, staving off our own rebelling fans and start to turn the corner. The team is bought in and ready to roll now, and since we are being optimistic we avoid the injury bug that has been lurking around for what feels like forever based on the changes in our conditioning staff.

Week 4, the Knights bend a knee: with some wind in our sails the guys rally to remember it’s go time. We cruise into the beach scene down south and remind those knights, they serve at the pleasure - and it pleasures us to snag another pelt. We leave with a win and play some lights out defense. I at this point will be privately snickering at @kg01 treating all the poor souls who have up till now lost hope to some Counting Crows ice cream, brought to you by Mayyfield’s™

Week 5, the Pitts: Regrettably just as poor Icarus crashed into the sea of despair by flying to far up; we see a road game at Pittsburg and lose this one. (I think it’s possible we win here and lose the following week with the same reason, but liked the pitts moniker so pit the L here).

Week 6, Split with Pitt the devils in the detail: as mentioned above we split these two games. I don’t think we have the ability to carry week to week to week consistency quite yet. Also until Chip and Brent get the hardnosed attitude more completely established we are too easily corrupted by the unbridled positivity of CGC so we will lose one or the other from lack of focus and reading too much of our own positive press.

Week 7, comes at a great time physically and mentally. We regroup and come out swinging.
Justin Timberlake Jt GIF by *NSYNC

Week 8, the horror of The Who’s:
Charlottesville is the first city I think of that I love being in every day save the ones we have a gameday during. We are just so unlucky up there, thankfully we get them at our house and they’re figuring out their new Elliott coaching situation so we beat them in a close one.

Week 9, ATL loses its tomahawk: we come in 5-2, but we leave 5-3 as a night game is too much pressure to overcome from the tribe.

Week 10, road woes continue: never like the odds of playing up at their house. We lose this one in a closeish game. Fans start getting restless again - someone repeats the “good teams don’t lose two in a row trope” and we hit the 10K mark on the bourbon thread about CGC.

Week 11, no place like home: we beat Miami and stop the skid. @kg01 has been blocked by the 8-10 blowhards on here that only kvetch about the program but can’t take the heat from our guy’s kitchen and there is some hilarity between people missing posts because of the blocked content. I start quoting @kg01 in an unholy alliance to make sure the haters have to read his katana like sharp wit and get the both of us put in the SinBin*.
no regrets GIF

*Just kidding mods, no posters were injured during the creation of this hypothetical- plus if we are 6-4 in the way I have described at this points wouldn’t I have enough time traveler cred to be unbannable? Like don’t mess with that MidtownJacketMagic™

Week 12, UNCheat gets taken to the woodshed: The coaches have our guys playing to their potential and there is talk of JS10 being a darkhorse Heisman candidate next year. Also someone tweets @Suddes about bad Mojo for leaving us and the board has an illogical and totally odd minibattle where the malcontents who have been silenced start throwing rocks at our staff for not having mad changes sooner. Because some of us just can’t be happy.

Week 13+, shudder, champagne shower and introspection: Jowja beats us but not nearly as badly as this past season. They make it a point to do a ceremony at the half honoring their previous natty. I drink a good half bottle of an even better bottle of bourbon and console the chat with a reminder we are at 7-5, going to a sweet bowl game (which we go on to win and I get to finish that good bottle under happier circumstances) to finish the season in spectacular form at 8-5 and having made positive signs across the board.

Recruiting picks up, donors have formed NIL slush funds and we start to open the next brave chapter of Georgia Tech Football.

Go jackets!

Boom Mic Drop GIF

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
What have you seen with Sims’s on field performance over 2 seasons vs. his “talent” makes you automatically default to him being the starter and not one of the other two?
Good point. Kid from Akron may have a shot with a new OC. Figure new to the whole process but with spring and stay on campus this summer may be enough.
Would Sims transfer at the end of spring practice if not the clear starter week one?
Good reason not to have a clear starter until the first game. We would be way too thin at QB.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Good point. Kid from Akron may have a shot with a new OC. Figure new to the whole process but with spring and stay on campus this summer may be enough.
Would Sims transfer at the end of spring practice if not the clear starter week one?
Good reason not to have a clear starter until the first game. We would be way too thin at QB.
Or we could pull another QB from the portal. Hypothetically of course.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Or we could pull another QB from the portal. Hypothetically of course.
The new QB coach will make a big difference.
I
On every play the QB coach and Heand oc will make sure the QB and HOT receivers will on same page at 1.5 seconds, 2.5 seconds , 3.5 seconds etc

Our future is in hands of QB and wr coach..

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
*Steps to the 🎙 *

I went 7+ and it’s not just gold colored glasses. Here we go, take a peek inside my optimism:

Week 1, feels like Weak 1: we get crushed. Clemson will be out for blood after a long offseason being told how poorly they performed last year. They’re bouncing at the gates to grab a w and we are the unfortunate sobs who play them.

Week 2, Mount the Catamounts: same but in reverse we let out the aggression from knowing we are a better team than last year and play with a sense of urgency. We show those cats from Western Carolina that dry rubbed pork > mustard BBQ and stomp the little guys. No longer shall we be beaten by the sisters of the poor teams. So hear me, we shan’t do that again. Also the OL situation starts to come together as the transfers gel (hopefully we will have picked up some more help in the portal but they missed the spring so are coming up to speed).

Week 3, us versus the rebellion: I believe we have to win this game to have a solid back half of the schedule. We grow up this week and beat the rebels, staving off our own rebelling fans and start to turn the corner. The team is bought in and ready to roll now, and since we are being optimistic we avoid the injury bug that has been lurking around for what feels like forever based on the changes in our conditioning staff.

Week 4, the Knights bend a knee: with some wind in our sails the guys rally to remember it’s go time. We cruise into the beach scene down south and remind those knights, they serve at the pleasure - and it pleasures us to snag another pelt. We leave with a win and play some lights out defense. I at this point will be privately snickering at @kg01 treating all the poor souls who have up till now lost hope to some Counting Crows ice cream, brought to you by Mayyfield’s™

Week 5, the Pitts: Regrettably just as poor Icarus crashed into the sea of despair by flying to far up; we see a road game at Pittsburg and lose this one. (I think it’s possible we win here and lose the following week with the same reason, but liked the pitts moniker so pit the L here).

Week 6, Split with Pitt the devils in the detail: as mentioned above we split these two games. I don’t think we have the ability to carry week to week to week consistency quite yet. Also until Chip and Brent get the hardnosed attitude more completely established we are too easily corrupted by the unbridled positivity of CGC so we will lose one or the other from lack of focus and reading too much of our own positive press.

Week 7, comes at a great time physically and mentally. We regroup and come out swinging.

Charlottesville is the first city I think of that I love being in every day save the ones we have a gameday during. We are just so unlucky up there, thankfully we get them at our house and they’re figuring out their new Elliott coaching situation so we beat them in a close one.

Week 9, ATL loses its tomahawk: we come in 5-2, but we leave 5-3 as a night game is too much pressure to overcome from the tribe.

Week 10, road woes continue: never like the odds of playing up at their house. We lose this one in a closeish game. Fans start getting restless again - someone repeats the “good teams don’t lose two in a row trope” and we hit the 10K mark on the bourbon thread about CGC.

Week 11, no place like home: we beat Miami and stop the skid. @kg01 has been blocked by the 8-10 blowhards on here that only kvetch about the program but can’t take the heat from our guy’s kitchen and there is some hilarity between people missing posts because of the blocked content. I start quoting @kg01 in an unholy alliance to make sure the haters have to read his katana like sharp wit and get the both of us put in the SinBin*.
no regrets GIF

*Just kidding mods, no posters were injured during the creation of this hypothetical- plus if we are 6-4 in the way I have described at this points wouldn’t I have enough time traveler cred to be unbannable? Like don’t mess with that MidtownJacketMagic™

Week 12, UNCheat gets taken to the woodshed: The coaches have our guys playing to their potential and there is talk of JS10 being a darkhorse Heisman candidate next year. Also someone tweets @Suddes about bad Mojo for leaving us and the board has an illogical and totally odd minibattle where the malcontents who have been silenced start throwing rocks at our staff for not having mad changes sooner. Because some of us just can’t be happy.

Week 13+, shudder, champagne shower and introspection: Jowja beats us but not nearly as badly as this past season. They make it a point to do a ceremony at the half honoring their previous natty. I drink a good half bottle of an even better bottle of bourbon and console the chat with a reminder we are at 7-5, going to a sweet bowl game (which we go on to win and I get to finish that good bottle under happier circumstances) to finish the season in spectacular form at 8-5 and having made positive signs across the board.

Recruiting picks up, donors have formed NIL slush funds and we start to open the next brave chapter of Georgia Tech Football.

Go jackets!

Boom Mic Drop GIF
You forgot to mention the new linebacker we are getting off the portal. Cedric something or another, from South Carolina I believe. He comes "highly recommended".

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If you listen to the 680 interview then it's hard to believe the Akron kid has any chance at all of taking Sims job.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
My vote went for 4 wins. Outside of the Duke and WCU games, we likely won't be favored against anyone. I would be pretty shocked if we beat UGA, Clemson, or Ole Miss. That leaves us needing to win 3 out of other 7 games as a likely underdog to get to 5. It's just hard to see that happening given our recent results.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
If you listen to the 680 interview then it's hard to believe the Akron kid has any chance at all of taking Sims job.
Do you mean the part where he said the interview process of Long was all about how he could elevate Sims’s game, instead of how they could elevate the “generic QB” play? So when it comes to “Competition is King”it only applies to 21/22 positions, or maybe that was just a slip of the tongue.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
*Steps to the 🎙 *

no regrets GIF

Go jackets!

Boom Mic Drop GIF

There are no words, sir. Just ...

one direction slow clap GIF

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The Kg account went 6 to be conservative.

And we're gonna be an insufferable b*tch to the lot of you after each and every victory.

Get yer mines ready, fools.
Well, I think personally I can deal l with three such Saturdays.l

JacketFan137

Banned
Do you mean the part where he said the interview process of Long was all about how he could elevate Sims’s game, instead of how they could elevate the “generic QB” play? So when it comes to “Competition is King”it only applies to 21/22 positions, or maybe that was just a slip of the tongue.
based on what you see on film gibson looks like such a low upside qb that i don’t think he’s really in a position to take the job. nothing about his game really wows you at all from his arm to his legs, so i think for the sake of the team we need sims to be the guy or our offense may struggle. sims arm is about the same as gibsons but his legs are truly a difference maker that can be game breaking on offense

pyron is a highly touted recruit and rated 4* but i don’t really think he’s gonna come in and displace the two year starter as a freshman. just not realistic. sims started his freshman year because the qb room didn’t even have a QB in it so it was a bit of a different situation.