Going on the Record

How many games does Tech win next season?

• 0-3

• 7+

Results are only viewable after voting.

JacketFan137

Banned
This is looking backwards,

I'm a little surprised that Fremeau trended our last 15 years. Our offense improved last year, but our defense regressed.
A 7 win season would be a really impressive turnaround

if the defense can even be close to acceptable and our offense can take a step forward (both entirely possible) we could be decent and while that is much easier said than done i don’t think we are anywhere near as far away as some people choose to act like we are.

really a respectable o line would just about put us within range

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Just for the sake of curiosity though .... what's your final answer? Just for gits and shiggles.

Tonight Show Writing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Don't mind me. Just making my uh .. grocery list. Yeah .. groceries.

:sneaky:
I honestly don’t have a clue anymore. Every bit of mental gymnastics I had for manufacturing wins in my head has been completely used up. For Tech to win more than 4 games this year something totally unpredictable and totally unexpected would have to happen. Sims would have to go from a player who had potential to a leading QB in the Coastal Division. The offensive line would have to go from mediocre play to bowl eligible level of play. Every position on defense would have to evolve from undisciplined and ineffective to solid and consistent.

There is no actual evidence that any of these things will happen. All we have is blind faith that a new set of coaches, new to the program and previously unknown to most Tech fans, will pull of a minor miracle in one year. Could it happen? Yes. Is this level of optimism warranted? No.

I’ll stick with my previous winning prediction because I don’t want to be blamed for bringing bad karma on the team.

slugboy

Staff member
if the defense can even be close to acceptable and our offense can take a step forward (both entirely possible) we could be decent and while that is much easier said than done i don’t think we are anywhere near as far away as some people choose to act like we are.

really a respectable o line would just about put us within range
For what it’s worth, I didn’t post that to take a slap at Collins—I’m trying to be as objective as possible. It’s amazing that the defense got worse under a defensive head coach, when a step toward being even average was available and reasonable.
It’s entirely reasonable to expect the defense to play much better than it has. It’s going to need a big change, but a good coaching staff should be able to get good results.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It COULD be addition by subtraction but I am of the firm belief that last year's team was Geoff's best hope at turning his program around. That team had the most returning talent and a true superstar in Gibbs. At one point we were 3-3 and had come within a whisker of being 5-1 as both the Northern Illinois and Clemson games should have been won. Coach Collins reminds me of that character in the old "Lil Abner" cartoons that would go around with his head down and a cloud spitting out lightning hanging over his head. Such is the life of coaches and programs living on the edge all the time. Sooner or later the breaks go against you and it snowballs into a debacle that will take years to clean up. On a more positive note, the Coastal is, as always, in a state of chaos with a bunch of teams losing lots of players. I did not think UVA would have as many coming back as they do. I see possibilities in being competitive with UVA, Virginia Tech, UNC, and of course, Duke. Could win 3 of those 4 and it helps that Virginia Tech and Duke will be breaking in new coaches.
That would be Joe Bltzflck. Most people on this thread sound like old Joe.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
What more data do you need at this point that doesn’t point to the head coach being in over his head? He’s a defensive coach and yet in 3 seasons his defense has gotten worse. He does not know how to game plan. He runs vanilla systems that every team runs and thus any coach worth a head coaching position recognizes it and reacts. That is why we lose games whether by large margins or small margins. Normally with competent coaches you can chalk up the close losses to the football gods, ie. a penalty, a turnover, etc, but with us it’s all about poor game plans to start the game and zero adjustments to end the game. Offensively, we have hope if Long is given total control. But defensively, we have little chance. Teams know exactly how to attack us. Look at Pitt. We finished 2020 but getting beat down by them. And we ran the same defensive scheme against them in 2021 with the same results. Just unbelievable incompetence.

JacketFan137

Banned
What more data do you need at this point that doesn’t point to the head coach being in over his head? He’s a defensive coach and yet in 3 seasons his defense has gotten worse. He does not know how to game plan. He runs vanilla systems that every team runs and thus any coach worth a head coaching position recognizes it and reacts. That is why we lose games whether by large margins or small margins. Normally with competent coaches you can chalk up the close losses to the football gods, ie. a penalty, a turnover, etc, but with us it’s all about poor game plans to start the game and zero adjustments to end the game. Offensively, we have hope if Long is given total control. But defensively, we have little chance. Teams know exactly how to attack us. Look at Pitt. We finished 2020 but getting beat down by them. And we ran the same defensive scheme against them in 2021 with the same results. Just unbelievable incompetence.
pitt isn’t the best example here. gameplan had little to do with what happened to us. had much more to do with the fact we don’t have a pass rush and pitt had a first round QB and WR with a good o line. was more of a matchup issue than a scheme issue. pickett was a heisman candidate for a reason

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
There is one possibility that I can cling to...at least until we've played the first four games...and that is this:

EVERYONE is going to assume that we are an easy W on their schedule. If the coaches can get the kids ready to play and devise good game plans, we could jump up and surprise a few folks.

One "upset" gets us to four wins...two gets us to five, and Coach stays.

If not...

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
There is one possibility that I can cling to...at least until we've played the first four games...and that is this:

EVERYONE is going to assume that we are an easy W on their schedule. If the coaches can get the kids ready to play and devise good game plans, we could jump up and surprise a few folks.

If not...
So, he stays with 5 wins? I realize that is "improvement", but I thought those in the "know" believed he had to get to 6?

Oh well, I think it is probably a moot point anyway.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

If not...
This is good.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So, he stays with 5 wins? I realize that is "improvement", but I thought those in the "know" believed he had to get to 6?

Oh well, I think it is probably a moot point anyway.

A couple of the big money donors are on record as saying it's 6 wins or bust for CGC. That doesn't mean they have necessarily drawn a line in the sand though. My understanding is that 5 is bare minimum, but if we only win 5, we need to be a LOT more competitive in our losses than we were last year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A couple of the big money donors are on record as saying it's 6 wins or bust for CGC. That doesn't mean they have necessarily drawn a line in the sand though. My understanding is that 5 is bare minimum, but if we only win 5, we need to be a LOT more competitive in our losses than we were last year.
I think you are correct.

My feeling is there cannot be 0-45 or 0-55 games next season. Also, a loss or ugly win over Western Carolina is an absolute no no. Four or five games in we should have a clear picture.

So, let's say we are 5-6 when we play uga. Do they ease off at 28-0 so CGC gets another year?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Take away the last 2 games and the Pitt game (only 3 of our 9 loses) and we were competitive in all of them. I agree that more wins are needed and I'm in the 5+ wins group. We could have easily had a winning record or only have 1 win. Facts and figures don't care about your feelings, 5 of our loses could have been wins and we make a change vs BC in the 2nd half add a 6th. Also UNC was nip and tuck for a while and Duke we needed a great catch to win. We were there, just needed that extra tipped ball on defense or first down on offense and it's a whole different (and shorter) off season. 138days cant get here soon enough!

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Time is softening the view here. Does anyone not remember the *** chewing Geoff got after the season? He didn‘t make staff changes, he was TOLD to make staff changes.

My sources at the AA made it clear. It’s SIX or you’re out.

I would bet money that Geoff knows he is going to be canned. So, pretty the place up, try to look respectable and get another gig. It keeps him coaching and reduces the buyout burden on the AA. If he gets canned with no landing spot, he may never coach again.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Take away the last 2 games and the Pitt game (only 3 of our 9 loses) and we were competitive in all of them. I agree that more wins are needed and I'm in the 5+ wins group. We could have easily had a winning record or only have 1 win. Facts and figures don't care about your feelings, 5 of our loses could have been wins and we make a change vs BC in the 2nd half add a 6th. Also UNC was nip and tuck for a while and Duke we needed a great catch to win. We were there, just needed that extra tipped ball on defense or first down on offense and it's a whole different (and shorter) off season. 138days cant get here soon enough!

Another competitive loss to an NIU caliber team will get CGC fired.