Getting stronger...

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
How does bench press translate to the football field?
Pass protection blocking. Helping to keep defender from ripping the ball (fumble) from your grasp or helping you to get possession in a wrestling match for the contested ball. Stiffarming. Buttoning your chin strap. I am sure there are others

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

pushing yourself up off the field after Todd Gurley trucked you again trying to tackle him

picking yourself up off the field after another clemson WR blew by you

pushing the chest of your teammate after you make a tackle for a 5 yard gain like it was a big play on first down

on offense picking yourself up off the field after another whiff cut block

there are plenty of reasons GT players need to be strong in the bench.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Right, let's have them stop doing bench press for something more football relevant. I suggest skipping around campus. Think about it, skipping increases quad and hamstring strength, initial burst of speed, and leaping ability.

On a serious note, the Austin twins are big hitters. Unless they plan on running at guys with outstretched arms like zombies they are going to need arm and chest strength to get the guy to the ground. Sure an initial hit is mostly legs and momentum, but breaking through blocks and wrestling a guy to the ground is where bench comes in to play.

Also there is no need to crap on this type of thread. If you aren't interested in the first post, move on to another thread - there is a lot to read on this board. There were no opinions offered where someone needed to be 'taken down a notch' or anything other than the new guys are seeing benefit of our S&C program.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
pushing yourself up off the field after Todd Gurley trucked you again trying to tackle him

picking yourself up off the field after another clemson WR blew by you

pushing the chest of your teammate after you make a tackle for a 5 yard gain like it was a big play on first down

on offense picking yourself up off the field after another whiff cut block

there are plenty of reasons GT players need to be strong in the bench.
That's one of the funniest posts I've read in a long time. :D

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Right, let's have them stop doing bench press for something more football relevant. I suggest skipping around campus. Think about it, skipping increases quad and hamstring strength, initial burst of speed, and leaping ability.

On a serious note, the Austin twins are big hitters. Unless they plan on running at guys with outstretched arms like zombies they are going to need arm and chest strength to get the guy to the ground. Sure an initial hit is mostly legs and momentum, but breaking through blocks and wrestling a guy to the ground is where bench comes in to play.

Also there is no need to crap on this type of thread. If you aren't interested in the first post, move on to another thread - there is a lot to read on this board. There were no opinions offered where someone needed to be 'taken down a notch' or anything other than the new guys are seeing benefit of our S&C program.
Not sure who you are talking to. I was asking a legitimate question.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Any exercise that helps build strength and power will translate to the football field. Some may be more beneficial than others to football in particular sure. But bigger, faster, stronger is what every player shoots for no? I feel like there is a punchline coming from you somewhere cheese.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I think the biggst advantage is fourth quarter strength.Most guys are within ten pounds of each other and after a half at least somebody is tired moving or trying to move a 300 lb guy around.Guess big thing is its a given today since the 300 lb dude is lifting too........helps when you are drive blocking and pass protection.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Any exercise that helps build strength and power will translate to the football field. Some may be more beneficial than others to football in particular sure. But bigger, faster, stronger is what every player shoots for no? I feel like there is a punchline coming from you somewhere cheese.
I would think lower body and core work would pay off more on the football field, generally speaking. All positions need explosion, power and leverage.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bench press might be the most overrated measurable, but it is still important. As long as it is done as a part of a very comprehensive program, where athletes are working just as hard on the other muscle groups, it can be an indicator of good things. Core strength, that involves the twisting muscles of the mid-section, are probably the most underrated.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Bench press might be the most overrated measurable, but it is still important. As long as it is done as a part of a very comprehensive program, where athletes are working just as hard on the other muscle groups, it can be an indicator of good things. Core strength, that involves the twisting muscles of the mid-section, are probably the most underrated.
Core strength is underrated in almost every sport. I played golf in high school and still try to play a few times a week. A couple of friends play with me sometimes and one is about 250 pounds and has a very strong upper body while one is 160 pounds and played basketball and was a pitcher in high school. The smaller one can hit a drive about 30-40 yards further because he has really good core strength. I imagine it would help in football as well.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Core strength is underrated in almost every sport. I played golf in high school and still try to play a few times a week. A couple of friends play with me sometimes and one is about 250 pounds and has a very strong upper body while one is 160 pounds and played basketball and was a pitcher in high school. The smaller one can hit a drive about 30-40 yards further because he has really good core strength. I imagine it would help in football as well.
Power and explosiveness come from your lower body and it is translated to your upper body through your core. Being strong in your upper body while weak in your lower body or core is useless.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I would think lower body and core work would pay off more on the football field, generally speaking. All positions need explosion, power and leverage.
Good point but after a big un leans on you for four quarters you need some upper and lower strength period just to survive.We see big kids coming from HS and they are strong but when you put them in vs a guy who has had college weight training for two years we usually lose the battle.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Power and explosiveness come from your lower body and it is translated to your upper body through your core. Being strong in your upper body while weak in your lower body or core is useless.
I agree again partly..big problem is when the guy grabs you by jersey then you need it .........all. Now we never pushed a kid to weights since in the sixties most Docs felt like it hurt your development and when I coached we had only one or two guys who used a 110 lb set but now...........if you dont lift you lose.