getting past a pay wall...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
for those of you who have experienced the new pay wall at the ajc i have found a way around it.

clear all your cookies and download the page you want to read in a private window. i use firefox to make this happen. i tried using a vpn but the one i used didnt work.

if this is common knowledge or you dont read the ajc..... never mind. heh.

GTRhino24

GT Athlete
I haven’t seen anything on that site worth reading in months. Everything of interest is behind the paywall. I just come here and get the details anyways. Sucks because KS did a decent job writing about GT even if his interview skills are terrible.

I haven’t seen anything on that site worth reading in months. Everything of interest is behind the paywall. I just come here and get the details anyways. Sucks because KS did a decent job writing about GT even if his interview skills are terrible.
I agree about Ken, and it really sucks that whatever he writes now goes behind the paywall. Fortunately, I have a gift subscription to MyAJC, so I am able to read them when I know that they are out there. But with all the work he has put and continues to put into writing objective articles about Tech athletics, it's a real shame that everyone can't read them.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Nothing stays secret on the net for long. Even the super secret pay through the nose black hole internet sites. :)

The Rev.

Georgia Tech Fan
That pay wall has been bugging me for awhile. It has only served to encourage me to look elsewhere for GT news.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
But it’s so cheap tho! I don’t mind throwing in a buck to help support Ken’s livelihood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTRhino24

GT Athlete
But it’s so cheap tho! I don’t mind throwing in a buck to help support Ken’s livelihood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I could be sure it would go towards GT articles and Ken, I would gladly pay for it. Unfortunately we all know it goes to Dwagnation and all the other mutt beat writers.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
If I could be sure it would go towards GT articles and Ken, I would gladly pay for it. Unfortunately we all know it goes to Dwagnation and all the other mutt beat writers.
Yes that’s how funding works. Goes into a big pot to then be distributed. Refusing to put into the pot just results in Ken getting no funding at all.

GTRhino24

GT Athlete
The AJC made it perfectly clear long ago how much it cares about GT athletics. I understand the fan base sizes etc, but I choose not to send money where 90% of it benefits something I oppose just so 10% will go towards something I support. That already happens with my taxes.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The AJC made it perfectly clear long ago how much it cares about GT athletics. I understand the fan base sizes etc, but I choose not to send money where 90% of it benefits something I oppose just so 10% will go towards something I support. That already happens with my taxes.
As the chief justice properly said, taxes are what we pay for a civilized society. I have often wondered: if one could direct his taxes, and chose not to support law enforcement, would they be obligated to provide police protection? Same for roads, etc. That would be a fine mess we got us into, Ollie.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This thread needs to be taken down as it's extremely unethical and illegal.
exaggerate much?

Depends on which parts of the discussion you are referring to:

Spreading information or facts that were presented behind a paywall is not illegal. You cannot copyright facts. You can copyright the presentation of facts and pictures/diagrams/text that you use to present facts. Many people say that you cannot legally discuss information from behind a paywall. That is absurd. You cannot copy the writing, or pictures, or diagrams, or anything else from behind the paywall. However, you can legally discuss in your own words any facts or rumors of facts that are presented anywhere. A paywall could decide to exclude you if you release information, or you could sign non-disclosure agreements that would have civil penalties. However, there isn't anything criminal about generally sharing information.

On the other hand, bypassing a paywall to get to content that the publisher is trying to keep you from without authorization could be a different matter. The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act makes it illegal to "intentionally accesses a computer without authorization or exceeds authorized access". This has been used in cases that had no criminal or even ill intent to hammer people. Aaron Swartz was facing 50 years in prison for connecting to MIT's wifi network and downloading public domain files from their network. The federal prosecutors had to stretch hard to arrive at a conclusion that he had an unauthorized connection to a wifi network that is tacitly advertised as entirely open. I seriously doubt that federal prosecutors would investigate bypassing the firewall of the AJC as a crime. However, suppose a federal prosecutor believes that you have incriminating information about a coworker that you don't have. If he doesn't believe you are telling the truth and he finds out that you had "unauthorized" access to the "protected" pages of the AJC, you could end up serving a 50 year sentence for CFAA violation.

BTW IANAL, so don't take my statements as any legal advice.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
come on folks sheesh. nobody says a word when we are all looking for sights to watch jackets. none of these guys say no vpn for you. etc. more likely than not they are also looking for ways to watch the jackets by .....

BY PASSING BLACK OUTS.

if its so unethical and offends your sensibility augusta then by all means have it taken down.

i just dont want to see any of you making posts looking for ways to by pass a black out to watch a game in the future. as a matter of fact we should ban all discussion of by passing blackouts to make augusta and his minions happy.

Last edited:

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
No. It is unethical and it is intellectual piracy. Integrity used to matter.
It's probably a bit exaggerating but seeing how this is a board with a staff with Media credentials and connections, it's probably best to not piss off other local media outlets. This is a post that belongs on Reddit and not here.

thats a reasonable comment. my question is 'where has this discussion been over the past view YEARS. its not like im the only one or this has been the only time that this has happened? re articles... re streaming illegally... REGARDING BY PASSING BLACKOUTS

and all of as sudden augusta gets a bug up his behind over this? where have you been augusta all these other times?

if your having a bad xmas agusta why take it out on the rest of us. if your going to be the way you act now than be like that ALL THE TIME.

in the grand scheme of things my helping a few jackets read an article is a mole hill compared to whats going on in the world.

and if your gonna be nit picky ugusta.... when you going to complain about my lack of proper punctuation and capitalization?

THAT WOULD FIT RIGHT UP YOUR ALLEY TOO!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
There's nothing unethical about clearing your history of cookies and then accessing the AJC website using a private viewer. The AJC IT people know this is a bypass around their security and could easily prevent it. They choose not to because they allow a certain number of "trial" articles a month. If it were an issue with the AJC, they'd close the loop-hole. It's not a way to get around the pay-wall, it's a way to continue getting access through the limited free content offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.