Georgia wants to switch Tech for Clemson

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Tech wins against factories, programs with far greater resources than we have, will always be the exception rather than the rule. I do not think dropping, or being dropped by, the dwags hurts us worse than it does them. Tech will never overcome the hold the dwags have on the state fan base. Better to expand our geographic reach by playing other teams from around the country.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am trying (really I am) to think of a fan base with as bad a reputation for plain boorish behavior at Grant Field. Maybe Alabama years ago. NC State is not exactly the best either but no one is actually close to UGA. They are just awful. Once I went to a UGA - LSU game in Athens back in the 1980s and much to my astonishment the LSU fans were about as bad as the mutts. Don't tell me it is because of the huge number of fans either. I have been at Florida Field and their 90,000 plus fans are much better and don't trash the campus the way Georgia fans have been known to do. In more recent times, maybe Miami's collection of thugs but there just not near as many of them. I don't even think Virginia Tech's fans are nearly as bad.
In my experience (short as it may be) no fans have been as awful as UGA fans. One of the things that makes me sick is how I was treated as an opposing band member. I was heckled and screamed at so much that when we went anywhere in formation, the rule was always to keep the RATs and female band members on the inside of the formation if at all possible. One year I couldn’t do band because of a co-op but decided to go to Athens for COFH because I had a feeling we’d win (and we did). What struck me was how much nicer their fans were to me when I was out of uniform. That should absolutely not be the case. By contrast, VT fans have been some of the nicest fans to me and the band.

Scubapro

Banned
Ya'll are giving too much credence to the source. Brandon Adams is a failure. First as a Kindergarten teacher then as a sports talk radio host and now a a pod-caster. Like most media losers he is trying to drum up dialog by saying something ridiculous Don't give any polish to this turd.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
By contrast, VT fans have been some of the nicest fans to me and the band.

My cousin is a VT season ticket holder and she invited me to go with her to the GT/VT football game in 2016. She had tickets on the 40 on the home side so I couldn’t turn that down. IIRC, VT was ranked and we were playing a backup QB and three new lineman. I fully expected to lose. Of course, we dominated the entire game. I was very excited and I realized after MJ’s long TD run that I was the only person around me that was cheering. I felt like I was yelling out in a library. Despite my seemingly uncontrollable jubilation during parts of the game, several VT fans congratulated me on our win. Pretty classy bunch of folks. FWIW, ND fans were also very nice when I went to the 2015 game.

Dawg fans have been the worst, by far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My cousin is a VT season ticket holder and she invited me to go with her to the GT/VT football game in 2016. She had tickets on the 40 on the home side so I couldn’t turn that down. IIRC, VT was ranked and we were playing a backup QB and three new lineman. I fully expected to lose. Of course, we dominated the entire game. I was very excited and I realized after MJ’s long TD run that I was the only person around me that was cheering. I felt like I was yelling out in a library. Despite my seemingly uncontrollable jubilation during parts of the game, several VT fans congratulated me on our win. Pretty classy bunch of folks. FWIW, ND fans were also very nice when I went to the 2015 game.

Dawg fans have been the worst, by far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It has been my experience the last 3 times we went up there, plus a couple in years past, that the Clemson fans are the best that I have been around. I know from years ago that there are pockets of jerks, but I have sat in the middle of the Clemson season ticket holder sections several times and could not have been treated nicer. Not so in Athens, that's for sure, and I quit going in 2002 because of that.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Tech wins against factories, programs with far greater resources than we have, will always be the exception rather than the rule. I do not think dropping, or being dropped by, the dwags hurts us worse than it does them. Tech will never overcome the hold the dwags have on the state fan base. Better to expand our geographic reach by playing other teams from around the country.

Not for taking doggies off our schedule, but we do need to get out more. The best avenue for success is to get national exposure and recruit nationally. We're never going to get ahead cultivating our back yard. If we lost the pups, it would actually be an opportunity for broader national exposure, but we have enough of those chances already if we would just use them. I used to like the idea of playing one SEC team every year besides Ugag, but I wonder if broader exposure might do us more good.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It has been my experience the last 3 times we went up there, plus a couple in years past, that the Clemson fans are the best that I have been around. I know from years ago that there are pockets of jerks, but I have sat in the middle of the Clemson season ticket holder sections several times and could not have been treated nicer. Not so in Athens, that's for sure, and I quit going in 2002 because of that.

My experience as well. Clemson is on top of the fan base list and Ugag is at the bottom of the barrel.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Not in favor of dropping uga. Rivalry week is cemented in my brain as COFH. Saying we did drop uga, who would be the new rival? Auburn? Then they’d have to drop Bama and you know that aint happening. Tennessee? They would have to drop Vandy and I don’t see that happening either. So, who’s the realistic alternative?

Not in favor of dropping uga. Rivalry week is cemented in my brain as COFH. Saying we did drop uga, who would be the new rival? Auburn? Then they’d have to drop Bama and you know that aint happening. Tennessee? They would have to drop Vandy and I don’t see that happening either. So, who’s the realistic alternative?
The only possible and at least semi-meaningful option would be for the mutts to drop us and play Clemson, who would drop USCe, who would then play us. But USCe is not a very good replacement for the mutts, even if they would consider it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
To Georgia? Get real. There are people on this board who think Georgia is the institutional antichrist, and they ain't even religious.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
To Georgia? Get real. There are people on this board who think Georgia is the institutional antichrist, and they ain't even religious.

Yeah I know it’ll never happen. I just was asking who would be the hypothetical alternative...it’s the offseason. Gotta talk about something

So to share an opposing fan story. In 1993 I went to the Doak to watch our Jackets play for the first time in their stadium. I was living in St. Pete so the drive wasn't bad. I anticipated a loss but it was fun to go. So as the teams were warming up I was up in my seat with some other Tech fans and the Florida State fans were coming up to us shaking our hands and telling us welcome. They also gave us bags of free peanuts. As the game was getting ready to get started a Tech fan I was sitting next to made a comment about how nice everybody was. I stopped a minute and looked back at him and said "you know, I feel like the Thanksgiving Turkey, every one is happy to see it, right before they plunge the knife in and cut us up. We lost 51-0.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Not for taking doggies off our schedule, but we do need to get out more. The best avenue for success is to get national exposure and recruit nationally. We're never going to get ahead cultivating our back yard. If we lost the pups, it would actually be an opportunity for broader national exposure, but we have enough of those chances already if we would just use them. I used to like the idea of playing one SEC team every year besides Ugag, but I wonder if broader exposure might do us more good.
I mentioned the same a couple of days ago. We need exposure and we are not going to get it playing Alcorn State or Bowling Green. The stadium is not full , and the rest of college football only notices if we lose. I would rather see us replace one of those " cupcakes" with a nearby SEC team ( AU, UT, USCE, UF or even Vandy ) or another school with fans that travel well ( WVU PSU or UW - Badgers, for instance ), in a home and home series. If we play well , but lose away from home , and win our share at home, we will get some national exposure that we DESPARATELY need. Now if we get seriously thumped by those teams listed above ( which I don't think will happen BTW ), then maybe we will remain an afterthought on the national scene. But what's happening now is not really moving the needle in the right direction, IMO.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
In my experience (short as it may be) no fans have been as awful as UGA fans. One of the things that makes me sick is how I was treated as an opposing band member. I was heckled and screamed at so much that when we went anywhere in formation, the rule was always to keep the RATs and female band members on the inside of the formation if at all possible. One year I couldn’t do band because of a co-op but decided to go to Athens for COFH because I had a feeling we’d win (and we did). What struck me was how much nicer their fans were to me when I was out of uniform. That should absolutely not be the case. By contrast, VT fans have been some of the nicest fans to me and the band.

I am glad to hear that about VT. Maybe they are just really rowdy at Lane Stadium. Band members of any team should not be exposed to abuse and the athletic directors and campus security should at the very least guarantee this.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Or Shorter;)
Come to think of it in recent years we have had transfer athletes from both Morris Brown (before it closed) and Shorter. Seems like the one from Morris Brown was in the 90s and played corner back for Coach O'Leary and the one from Shorter was pretty recent and played for Coach Johnson. A pity I cannot remember their names.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
CPJ and our AA have said that the goal for out of conference every year is geogie, a pwr5, a gp5, and an FCS.

That's more competitive than most.

I think some really fail to appreciate that many OOC Pwr5 don't want to play us and assume it's an unwillingness to play on our part.
Auburn, I do believe he has called you out.