Georgia Tech, Your 2021 ACC Champions

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
How awesome was Sturdivant last night?! He came in and was such a great reliable ball handler in that second half. He created so many shots for Usher, Devoe, and Alvarado. Just played really smart basketball.

I thought Sturdivant's biggest contribution was that he wasn't Khalid Moore ... because FSU was sagging off Moore to an unbelievable extent and making us play 4 v 5 on offense. Moore took 6 3's when he was in the game, because he was wide open. And while Moore has done a lot of nice things this season, including even in this game, we were going to lose if the result of so many possessions was him shooting.

Sturdivant forced them to play more straight up defensively because he was initiating the offense and a better shooter, and by doing so we started to get more space for our better offensive weapons (Devoe, Wright, etc). What impressed me is that we didn't see a major defensive fall off with him in the game instead of Moore - we lost a lot of size, but Sturdivant did an excellent job.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
You are right that they were sending invitations to Moore to shoot that corner 3. While Kyle is shorter than Moore, he is arguably our thickest player and he used that to his advantage on O and D. I think that thickness is going to be really helpful as we move into the NCAAs and get some bigger athletic guards.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Kyle played a great final ten minutes. He allowed Jose to play on the wing, and that opened up the whole floor. His pass to Jose for the layup was perfect. The biggest play of the game was Devoe drilling a 3 when tied with about 7 min left.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Can ANYONE explain to me how we are not viewed as a top 20 team in the country? If Duke did the EXACT season we just had they would be ranked 14-22nd. We are projected as a TEN SEED! WTF?!?!

KingTech

Georgia Tech Fan
I've been gone for awhile - been a tough winter (and then decided I would not post until either GT was in the NCAA Tourney or the season was over) but I am so happy for the players, the coaches and the staff (as well as the fans). Fantastic job by all of them. This has been sorely missed and really needed for the GT fanbase.
Thanks for sharing! Been a fan of your viewpoints since the Hewitt days...always a great summary and appreciate your breakdowns of GT.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
In
Thanks for sharing! Been a fan of your viewpoints since the Hewitt days...always a great summary and appreciate your breakdowns of GT.
been enjoying Red for decades as well. However, he’s not my favorite old message board person. Anyone else remember that kid who was on the Prodigy college basketball board talking about AAU players he knows?

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Small elephant in the room: Mike Bobinski.

Remember, he was the one that brought Pastner here. Not many good things to say about his time here, but he was the guy that got Pastner to GT.
That’s one of the main reasons he was hired though. He was suppose to be able to find a good basketball coach.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
"He’s the first Jewish coach to win the ACC Tournament and we think that’s great. Jews have played a major role in building the ACC so it’s especially nice to see a Jewish coach win a championship."

What in the hell did I read in that Duke article? Is that site satire?

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
"He’s the first Jewish coach to win the ACC Tournament and we think that’s great. Jews have played a major role in building the ACC so it’s especially nice to see a Jewish coach win a championship."

What in the hell did I read in that Duke article? Is that site satire?
Man, it’s insufferable how so many things have to be made into identity/group issues like this. So glad you don’t hear Josh saying that. He just humbly gives credit to his staff and the guys. He doesn’t go on some rant about, “As a Jewish coach, .....”

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Small elephant in the room: Mike Bobinski.

Remember, he was the one that brought Pastner here. Not many good things to say about his time here, but he was the guy that got Pastner to GT.
There's a popular saying about blind squirrels.

Might apply well here.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I have not ever heard Pastner mention his faith or wear or show any adornments that would make me aware of his family background or religion. The only way that I know it is because I read it, which has been only on this site.

Does it change his capacity to do the job? I question the relevance and motivation of the topic, as discussion of a coach's religion is quite odd, indeed. Frankly, it is creepin' a bit. More than a bit.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Man, it’s insufferable how so many things have to be made into identity/group issues like this. So glad you don’t hear Josh saying that. He just humbly gives credit to his staff and the guys. He doesn’t go on some rant about, “As a Jewish coach, .....”
It's like they are trying to fill up page space so they go right to identity politics when they cant fill the void with actual intelligent journalism. Its just lazy

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Same thing as last game. Our game plan was to be super aggressive creating steals and turnovers. With their length and athleticism they’re going to get lots of second and third chances. Our defense is in steals. Their defense is not in steals - they’re not as short and quick - their defense is in making shots difficult to make and not allowing second chances. And they’re very good at that. Our game plan won out yet again.

One thing that I thought when watching the game was that the refs allowed them to play and did not try to be the stars of the game. Unusual given one of the zebras calling the game.. I saw physical and tough play on both ends by both teams. Not a lot of ticky tack fouls. I hope we get that throughout the tourney as it allows us to be aggressive. Of course I am good at creating things to worry about when it comes to our athletic teams.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I did keep expecting to see a disparity in the calls but for the most part agree. They let more contact fly on both sides of the court than I expect we will see in the NCAA.

It has been a while since we were back at the big tourney but remember they don’t allow as much contact outside of the ACC league.

Deleted member 2897

One thing that I thought when watching the game was that the refs allowed them to play and did not try to be the stars of the game. Unusual given one of the zebras calling the game.. I saw physical and tough play on both ends by both teams. Not a lot of ticky tack fouls. I hope we get that throughout the tourney as it allows us to be aggressive. Of course I am good at creating things to worry about when it comes to our athletic teams.

yes, I saw quite a few events that I thought were bad missed calls, but most importantly I thought that they were fairly consistent. At least if they are consistent and you know what they’re calling, you can adjust your play.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Lots of bad calls on both sides. I was disappointed with some of officiating, but happy they errored on the side of letting them play (mostly).

Things in the "to worry about next week" category: if we get a crew that calls a tight game, especially up top with hand checking, we'll lose badly because our guys will get in foul trouble early.