• USF by 7-13

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • USF by 14+

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Okay, one sack......considering the competition and knowing they were going to pass ? Maybe Woody was just keeping it simple. I really do hope so !

Why would he not keep it simple? No reason to put anything on film you don't need to. Also sacking QBs who are getting rid of the ball on a 3 step drop is as simple as people want to make out, that's why team with protection issues use it

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Why would he not keep it simple? No reason to put anything on film you don't need to. Also sacking QBs who are getting rid of the ball on a 3 step drop is as simple as people want to make out, that's why team with protection issues use it
I really do hope it is as straightforward as you make it sound. I am waiting to be convinced otherwise with a solid win over an opponent that we really should beat. Like I said , I hope I am wrong with my prediction. You have Tech 35-21, on the road for an inexperienced secondary. We will see.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
31-21 GT. With a late "garbage time" passing drive from USF against our backup D.

Everyone is worried about the passing performance against Alcorn. (Which IMHO wasn't systemic, but mostly fixable mistakes). But that's kind of missing the forest for the one ugly tree.

If we'd have just rotated in Benson, Howard and Mason and run nothing but BB gives, we could have marched down the field at will indefinitely (Against a SWAC school, granted). The A-Backs barely got the ball and got some big runs when they did. TQM is ace in the rushing game. I don't expect we'll need to pass to move the ball and score points against USF.

Barnett has a strong arm. But he's new to the school this fall and they're replacing a lot of experience around him. They're also thin on the O-line outside of the starting tackles and one guard. I'm skeptical they have their full playbook installed to draw on. Our D should be able get some pressure and I like the match ups between our secondary and their WRs. We'll learn a lot about our young DBs.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
If y'all haven't subscribed to the athletic I high recommend it. They just posted a really good article with fan questions and give perspective of their point of view:

https://theathletic.com/506304/2018...est-for-the-yellow-jackets/?source=dailyemail

I won't give away a ton of the article, but the writer mentioned that he covered the Alabama game where Barnett started. He was taken out of the game because he completely folded under pressure. I'm not going to make an exact prediction, but if we put pressure on him, I think we win.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
What really concerns me the most is a " hangover" from the Roof D. It seemed , the previous scheme to read and then react never developed players who overcame their cautionary mindset to step up and make a play. I am waiting to see a marked difference that Woody has instilled. I am not worried about us moving the ball against USF, I am worried about the D , and the kicking game , on the road , on national TV.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I will be forever shunned for this:

30-24, bad guys

Please make me eat crow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
upload_2018-9-6_9-19-49.jpeg

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I will be forever shunned for this:

30-24, bad guys

Please make me eat crow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate to say this but I have to agree. I feel more inclined to say we lose this game. Our defense looked good but it was Alcorn State. Our offense (filled with Seniors and Juniors) look very out of sync at times. Their QB (Barnett) looks like he will give our D fits but who knows. I will be rooting for the W but not shocked by an L.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
34-21 Good Guys

Edited to add that I believe this game is very similar to the UT game last year with regards to how our season could go. Win this one and I like the prospects of us having a good season (8+ wins), lose it and we are battling for bowl eligibility come mid November.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I hate to say this but I have to agree. I feel more inclined to say we lose this game. Our defense looked good but it was Alcorn State. Our offense (filled with Seniors and Juniors) look very out of sync at times. Their QB (Barnett) looks like he will give our D fits but who knows. I will be rooting for the W but not shocked by an L.

One thing to keep in mind is that the biggest improvement comes usually between games one and two. We'll be clicking a lot more in sync this week, hopefully.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
As much as I hate it, I agree. I think they expose our secondary and it's a big lesson learned for them on how to play certain teams with talent. Plus if they run any kind of hurry up offense I think they move with ease.

If USF gets 300 yards passing, that will be largely due to our lack of pressure on their QB.