Article Georgia Tech vs Northwestern

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I looked at KenPom this morning, and it's updated from last night's games. Northwestern is #50 and we're #63. I had a thought that we'd swap places after last night--there's very little data in the system, so I thought it might be more sensitive to individual wins and losses at this point.

I saw last night that "5 wins" seals the challenge, but there are 14 games. ACC is 6-1 so far. Two more wins and the ACC wins. I think we'd still be "outside looking in" on bracketology, but I'm just enjoying this part of the season right now.
Our SOS is horrible right now. 3/5 games are against teams 280+ and it doesn't get any better after Friday night with Grambling State (300+). It will get much better as we get into conference play, but as of right now, those bad teams are keeping us lower.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I looked at KenPom this morning, and it's updated from last night's games. Northwestern is #50 and we're #63. I had a thought that we'd swap places after last night--there's very little data in the system, so I thought it might be more sensitive to individual wins and losses at this point.

I saw last night that "5 wins" seals the challenge, but there are 14 games. ACC is 6-1 so far. Two more wins and the ACC wins. I think we'd still be "outside looking in" on bracketology, but I'm just enjoying this part of the season right now.
It has carry-over from last year until it hits a certain threshold of games. we finished 67th last year so we havent moved much and they finished 38th last year so it's probably still propping them up some.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
14 buckets on 16 assists. Strong.

16-20 from the free throw line. That saved our turnover issues down the stretch. Strong.

We have an incredibly long way to go. But this is the type of early season win we will forget about at the end of the season but really shouldn't. It sounds cliche', but 4-1 is so much better than 3-2. We're going to have a hard time going anything better than 6-10 in the ACC, so the further we can get above 0.500 before that stretch run, the better.

We will not go 6-10 in the ACC. We play 18 conference games (TIC).

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This was a somewhat strange game.It was like a KEY player for both was absent.Josh on our side and their leading scorer scored --ZERO?
Our FTs won game. 16-20 ,NW 2-3 . home-cooking?
we are not a good team but a dangerous one.The new kids took another step.We need an away game to season the guys.
Pastner (and staff)obviously improves these guys.--AD looked like real bball player ,at times.--Curtis as a Fr is putting up STRONG #s.One day he gets to take the last shot. --JA is a playa,but not a shooter now.
Tad is Tad.(one game he will explode for 25, dead at 5 the next).
It sure would have been nice to pick up a SR transfer at the #4.Josh can't get back soon enough and even then will be rusty.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
No way. They called some pretty iffy fouls on Tech. I think the difference is how we're playing. Violent cuts to the basket draw fouls.

/

Late in the game I thought we were getting some ticky tack crap during their comeback but then it seemed to level off in time for us to right the ship

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Looking for Okogie to get back. Then, when game on line, Alvarado, Jackson, Okogie, Haywood & Lammers on O
with Gueye subbing for Hay on D. Adjust as the guys adjust.

What is the official word on Ogbonda? Whatever it is I missed it.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Well since we're doing TIC, all I said was we will have a hard time going better than 6-10. Personally, I am guessing 6-12. :p
So you are saying we do worse than last year what make you think we were more talented last year?

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Typical Tech rollercoaster win - In control of game, give it away with turnovers, and then win in an exciting way. Kudos to Jackson for keeping the faith and making a great play at the end!

Deleted member 2897

So you are saying we do worse than last year what make you think we were more talented last year?

My opinion is not based on that assumption inside your question. Whether or not we are more talented than last year doesn't necessarily equate to more wins.

We are 10th in the ACC according to Ken Pom and predicted to finish 9th or 10th.

8 of our ACC games are against teams ranked in the top 18. Those are 8 super difficult games.
We play Clemson twice, Wake Forest twice, and we play NC State, @ Boston College, & @ Pittsburgh once. Those are 8 very winnable games.
The remaining two games are home against Syracuse and @ Florida State.

Assuming we win a couple we shouldn't, but lose a couple road games that we shouldn't, you end up somewhere around 8-10.
We are 4-1 and our 8 remaining OOC games are Grambling State, Tennessee, Wofford, Florida A&M, Georgia, Wright State, Coppin State, and Yale. If we go 6-2, that makes us 10-3 plus 8-10 = 18-13. That means to match last year's 21 wins, we need to win 3 games in the post season (ACC Tournament, NCAA or NIT Tournament).

And personally, I just don't see us running the table on our easier games. Which means we need to beat a top 18 team at home a couple of times to offset that. Maybe we can, maybe we can't. If we learned anything from last year, its that this team could improve immensely between now and 3 months from now. But when I see 18-20 wins as seeming like a ceiling, its hard to have a lot of confidence in such a prediction.

Plus, I prefer to set my expectations low. I'd rather predict 6-12 or 7-11 and 18 total wins and then beat it than to predict 9-9 or 10-8 and 21 wins and then miss it.

Anyways, that's a lot of speculation based upon nothing I guess.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking for Okogie to get back. Then, when game on line, Alvarado, Jackson, Okogie, Haywood & Lammers on O
with Gueye subbing for Hay on D. Adjust as the guys adjust.

What is the official word on Ogbonda? Whatever it is I missed it.
That’s the lineup I like too when JO gets back...four guards/wings and Lammers. That’s what Villanova has been putting on the court for years.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
That’s the lineup I like too when JO gets back...four guards/wings and Lammers. That’s what Villanova has been putting on the court for years.

Defense and rebounding would suffer greatly if we go small for extended periods of time. It'd be our best line up for offense but our calling card for success has been on the other end of the court.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
My opinion is not based on that assumption inside your question. Whether or not we are more talented than last year doesn't necessarily equate to more wins.

We are 10th in the ACC according to Ken Pom and predicted to finish 9th or 10th.

8 of our ACC games are against teams ranked in the top 18. Those are 8 super difficult games.
We play Clemson twice, Wake Forest twice, and we play NC State, @ Boston College, & @ Pittsburgh once. Those are 8 very winnable games.
The remaining two games are home against Syracuse and @ Florida State.

Assuming we win a couple we shouldn't, but lose a couple road games that we shouldn't, you end up somewhere around 8-10.
We are 4-1 and our 8 remaining OOC games are Grambling State, Tennessee, Wofford, Florida A&M, Georgia, Wright State, Coppin State, and Yale. If we go 6-2, that makes us 10-3 plus 8-10 = 18-13. That means to match last year's 21 wins, we need to win 3 games in the post season (ACC Tournament, NCAA or NIT Tournament).

And personally, I just don't see us running the table on our easier games. Which means we need to beat a top 18 team at home a couple of times to offset that. Maybe we can, maybe we can't. If we learned anything from last year, its that this team could improve immensely between now and 3 months from now. But when I see 18-20 wins as seeming like a ceiling, its hard to have a lot of confidence in such a prediction.

Plus, I prefer to set my expectations low. I'd rather predict 6-12 or 7-11 and 18 total wins and then beat it than to predict 9-9 or 10-8 and 21 wins and then miss it.

Anyways, that's a lot of speculation based upon nothing I guess.
lol if you had said 8-10 from the beginning I would have agreed! I can't see us winning only a third of our conference games, with a team that knocked off a good NU team with an all ACC center who is playing on a bad ankle and hasn't practiced who also sat a quarter of the game with foul trouble and without our biggest vocal leader in Okogie who is also a 2nd team preseason all ACC guy. NU has played some very good teams in Creighton and Texas Tech Vic Law had 30 against Creighton and we shut him down we are potentially a top 25 defensive team this year.