Article Georgia Tech vs Northwestern

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Great team effort again. Great defense. Tip of the hat to Mr. Jackson saving what could have been a very disappointing loss. Glad we could contribute to the ACC's Big Ten domination (so far).

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I said in chat was the definition of a boom or bust player. Last couple of possessions defined it. Turnover, and then follow it up by making a difficult layup over a defender to win the game.

Never know what you're going to get out of Tad, but when he's on, he's a VERY good player.
We have never had anybody like him before. He is so frustrating and so easy to root for at the same time lol.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
GT proved me wrong. Happy to celebrate a W!!! AD, while still raw, has improved night and day from last year. I don't cringe(as much) when he touches the ball compared to last year. He is much improved. Defensively, he is very good. Great win for our NCAAT resume!

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Nice win - great to see Tadric step up and make a play - both Jose and he made right decision on last play (Jose initially looked at Lammers trailing but better option was Tadric, and Tadric chose to drive vs. settle for a jump shot).

NW played some D similar to North Texas in they sagged off AD (played him more honest than NT when he had the ball, but his man fell back most of the time and clogged things up). 1. We need to decide how to attack D's that do this and work on that ... which leads to #2 ...
2. The other observation is someone needs to be able to drive and finish to open things up - Okogie can, Tadric can .... CGB is doing nice job but is a shooter not a driver at this stage ... Jose can get in the paint but struggles because of size - and whomever said if he develops a consistent pull up J off the screen is dead on .... Justin is Justin. I thought Alston was decent tonight, but my fears of how more athletic teams could shut down his game are coming to bear last two hope he breaks out of it- he has a nice stroke and did bust his you know what on D.

Can not say enough about how they guarded first half, and most of the second - NW took some tough contested shots. The unorthodox rotations on the zone really play havoc most nights - have seen it enough now that it's a thing of bueaty to see the rotations,
Not sure why Ogbonda is not playing - all the words on his improvement .... Injury to knee a factor (not ready yet)?

AD gave us good minutes, and I agree I could see him starting at the center next year - no way he catches or finishes the two baskets he made in first half ... and the pass to Wright for the dunk was nothing he could do last year.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Not that the refs we're going to call it but Tad got mugged on that layup also. In the normal course of the game it should have been an and 1. Also last year that layup misses the mark.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
This game goes as the education of Jose. Awesome that he got an education on how not to run an offense at crunch time and still was able to get a win.

Overall we gutted this out on the defensive end but still have a long way to go on the offensive end. Long way. Especially at crunch time. We have to be tougher at crunch time in running the offense and not just standing around or trying to dump it into Lammers at all cost.

We still have a gaping hole at the 4 spot. This is going to be an issue going forward. For both AD and Moses they didn't guard either at all and their 4 sat in the lane blocking cutters and making life miserable for Lammers.

Tadrick is a best of times/worst of times player. But most of what he did tonight - including the final layup - was aggressive going to the basket. We desperately need someone trying to make things happen even if he was a bad 4-13 from the field. When Okogie gets back hopefully he backs off some and his shots fall at a higher rate. But for now keep pushing.

With Okogie we win this by 10. This team is far beyond where last year's team was at this point in the season. Whether they continue to improve like last year's is up to them.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I'll take a win any way they come. 1 pt or 50 pt margin.

Jose had a few questionable decisions, but overall had a nice game with 9pts 4assists and 3 rebs. Said this in chat, but if he can develop a shot off the screen, he will be DEADLY. He's so quick off the screen that defenders don't turn the corner fast enough to defend him. JA needs to look for a shot there.

Was hoping to see a more developed post game from Lammers this season. Still relying on the fadeway and jump shots from just inside the arc. He did have a nice up and under move under the basket early in the game.

AD is still raw, but he flashes every now and again and makes you think of how good he can be if he smooths out the rough edges. Seemed like he was in on every rebound. Need to rethink his 3 pt shots though. Stepped up and played solid minutes when Lammers was in foul trouble. I think it's something we'll see a lot of this year as the good teams will look to attack Lammers to get him in foul trouble.

After hearing all summer how Ogbonda was the most improved player overall, weird not seeing him play. Is he hurt?

CGB's line tonight: 11 pts on 3-3 shots, 2-2 free throw. Perfect night shooting. He really needs to look for his shot more, especially with Okogie out for the foreseeable future. Also chipped in with 6 rebounds.

JA and CGB are going to be GREAT foundation pieces for this team heading into the next few years. They're already very important players for us this year.

Lammers had a quiet night, Tad was inconsistent, and Okogie was on the sideline and we still pulled it out against a tourney team from last year.

This team has some frustrating moments, but it's still fun to watch them play overall.

Alvarados not even a point guard though :rolleyes:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Jax is the same guy he was last year, imo:
plays about 75% of our O not content with our system, not infrequently taking the ball 1 on 3 to the hoop or shooting a contested 3 too quickly on the shot-clock

takes a handful of possessions off on D

Then he seems to hit the 3 or hit the layup or draw the fouls in a way that brings fire and momentum to the team.
Love him and hate him at the same time

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
qjRT68G.png

I have this re-occurring dream...

I’m in a fetal position swaying back and forth and the psychiatrist shows me this chart and asks me what I see and all I can do is mumble Tadric...Tadric...

/

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Excellent win. Would have been nice to hold the game, but i'll take any win I can get right now.

Pastner mentioned after the game about FR mistakes by Jose and Curtis that hurt late but that it is something they will have to live with since we are young. Tad of course also had a bad TO late.
Really good defense throughout by GT. Outside of McIntosh they really defended well and I thought he was the best player on the court last night. Shutting out Lindsey and making him a non factor was impressive.

The reason NW got back into it late was good defense on their part causing TO's that resulted in easy baskets. I thought the key for them was putting Jordan Ash in the game. He seemed more able to disrupt Jose and cause issues for our offense.

Curtis has a quiet good game 3-3 FG, 2-2 3FG, 3-3 FT, 6 rbs, 2 assists, 1 TO. Three straight double figure scoring games for him. He looks so much more confident than he did the first few games.

Tadric is still Tadric. He'll make a bad play that will have you pull your hair out and then make a great play. Great tidbit that Josh told hold after his late TO to keep his head up that he would make the winning play.

NW was really sagging off the 4 in the second half. I suspect once Josh gets back we might play a fair bit of small ball. The other thing we need to do is run the 4 on cuts to the basket as they ought to be able to get shots in close with the 4 on defense shading to Lammers. The pass from AD to Wright was a thing of beauty.

Nice job by the team of sticking together as Lammers missed almost half of the first half and Jose was quiet offensively. Alot of guys managed to get a single bucket to keep things afloat.

Gueye and Wright are both coming along. AD doesn't make me cringe on offense anymore and is solid on defense and Wright tends to flash potential once or twice every game.

Rebounding was much better this game and everyone got into the rebounding act.

If we can win all the low to mid major team games including at Wofford and win one of UGA or TN it will have been a very successful OOC.

Deleted member 2897

14 buckets on 16 assists. Strong.

16-20 from the free throw line. That saved our turnover issues down the stretch. Strong.

We have an incredibly long way to go. But this is the type of early season win we will forget about at the end of the season but really shouldn't. It sounds cliche', but 4-1 is so much better than 3-2. We're going to have a hard time going anything better than 6-10 in the ACC, so the further we can get above 0.500 before that stretch run, the better.

Deleted member 2897

I said in chat was the definition of a boom or bust player. Last couple of possessions defined it. Turnover, and then follow it up by making a difficult layup over a defender to win the game.

Never know what you're going to get out of Tad, but when he's on, he's a VERY good player.

Still a massive massive improvement over his first 2 years.

slugboy

Staff member
I looked at KenPom this morning, and it's updated from last night's games. Northwestern is #50 and we're #63. I had a thought that we'd swap places after last night--there's very little data in the system, so I thought it might be more sensitive to individual wins and losses at this point.

I saw last night that "5 wins" seals the challenge, but there are 14 games. ACC is 6-1 so far. Two more wins and the ACC wins. I think we'd still be "outside looking in" on bracketology, but I'm just enjoying this part of the season right now.