Article Georgia Tech vs Miami

• Highlight

Georgia Tech vs Miami

Georgia Tech, 0-1 in ACC play, is coming off a hard-fought effort that fell just short on the road against Notre Dame. Luckily the Yellow Jackets are able to turn their focus over to the Miami Hurricanes on Wednesday in a home tilt. The U is 12-1 on the season and was one of the five undefeated teams remaining before being knocked off against New Mexico State two days before Christmas. Some can say that their record is a little skewed due to the opponents they have played, with the best win coming on the road against Minnesota, 86-81. According to CBSSports.com Miami’s strength of schedule is 90th in the country.

The man leading the way for Miami is Jim Larrañaga. He is in his seventh year at the U, with two trips to the Sweet 16 along with ACC Coach of the Year in 2013. Before coming to Miami, he had long stops at George Mason and Bowling Green. Coach Larrañaga has been the National Coach of the Year according to AP & Naismith and is known as one of the top coaches in college hoops and has the hardware to prove it.

Jim Larrañaga has another nice squad this year with multiple pieces to work with, the main man being 6’5” sophomore guard #11, Bruce Brown Jr. Brown flirted with the NBA last year but decided to return to school to increase his stock. So far it is paying dividends as Brown is currently projected to go 20th to the Indiana Pacers on NBADraft.net. He is a beast when he drives to the hoop and attacks the rim. His outside game and shot is still a work in progress, which is one of the reasons why he came back to school, but don’t be fooled…he can still knock down the open shot, and force his way to the paint to get buckets.

Along with Bruce Brown Jr. is the 6’5” McDonald’s All-American and true freshman #4, Lonnie Walker IV. Walker was considered one of the top players in the 2017 class and was a huge get for the Hurricanes, not only for his unique Elfrid Payton style hair, but also his crazy athleticism. He is widely considered to be a 1-and-done and is projected to be the 14th overall pick to the New York Knicks according to NBADraft.net. His potential leaves me a little confused with the way he is being used so far this season, as he has yet to have constant minutes nor find a solid place in the rotation. His season high for minutes was 29 against Pittsburgh, but before that it was 28 minutes against Boston University (where he scored 26 points in that time). It might be that Coach Larrañaga was waiting for ACC play to unleash him, but you would think that you would want to utilize a talent such as Lonnie Walker IV as much as possible.

Running the show for the Hurricanes is 6’3 senior #0, Ja’Quan Newton. He attacks the paint hard like Brown Jr. and has the combination of speed and strength to be successful. He is as sound as it gets on defense and plays tough in your face D all game. One of the few downfalls for the steady upperclassmen is he sometimes coughs the ball up. When you make him go left on the drive he can get out of control, which can be beneficial if Georgia Tech takes advantage of this.

The other guard is 6’3” sophomore out of Melbourne, Australia #1, Dejan “Can I Buy A Vowel” Vasiljevic. At first glance with Vasilievic, you’d think “who let this guy from the Rec League put on a uniform?” But then he starts shooting. Swish, swish, swish. He is a pure shooter who can also take you off the dribble. It might be on purpose, but he has a floater that is highly similar to fellow Aussie and NBA player Matthew Dellavedova. He will hit you with a pump fake after nailing two threes, then complete a nice floater to keep you from closing out on him the next time down.

On the wing for Miami is 6’7” junior #3, Anthony Lawrence II. He is the nice solid player that every team needs. Lawrence is good on defense, can set up his teammates, hits the boards, and can knock down the three. It is hard to find a weak spot in his game. He is that reliable upperclassman that can be trusted in ACC play and the tournament to make the right play.

Down on the block is 6’11” sophomore #20, Dewan Huell. He is long and physical with a filled-out body for such a young player. He hits the boards aggressively along with nicely set screens. He has nice touch around the paint and is starting to hit the mid-range jumpers. He is the type of player that Ben Lammers tends to have a challenging time against as he’s relentless and active.

Prediction: Jose Alvarado and company will have the opportunity to get some turnovers. It just comes down to if they take advantage of them. I want to see better free throw shooting and continued tough defense. I expect a big game from Tadric Jackson with Vasilievic guarding him and most of the points coming from Tad. But after playing it out, it is hard to imagine a scenario where Tech can get it done. Anything can happen in the ACC but Miami by 9.

Last edited:

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
The shots Okogie pulls off as he careens by the basket are just ridiculous. He has so much natural talent it's ridiculous. Can't wait to see the room he has to work when CGB is back.

Best part of the game to me was that it looked like everyone wanted to be there. Lots of hustle and want to from everyone. Alvarado does some silly freshman things that absolutely do not bother me when he goes right back and stuffs them! Lol those were awesome.

Also, CJP has flipped an ACC switch or something and his timeouts and player substitutions suddenly make sense to me.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Has anyone else noticed Okogie gets blocked a lot? What’s up with that?

I think it's just rust honestly. He's having to feel out what he can and can't get away with again. It doesn't really bother me though because in our offense his circus stuff is as good or better percentage than anyone else getting an open look while CGB is out.

However, he got blocked a decent amount last year, he just generally draws the foul when it happens though. Again, it doesn't bother me as he tends to be a major source of foul trouble for the other team. I think he'd draw even more fouls if he just LOOKED a little more in control - he just looks wild and I think it causes the refs to swallow the whistle several times a game.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Craziest play of the night I haven’t seen anyone talk about: Okogie’s baseline falling out of bounds steal turned into a perfect behind the back pass to Alvarado at the top of the key. That happened right in front of me and was unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think it's just rust honestly. He's having to feel out what he can and can't get away with again. It doesn't really bother me though because in our offense his circus stuff is as good or better percentage than anyone else getting an open look while CGB is out.

However, he got blocked a decent amount last year, he just generally draws the foul when it happens though. Again, it doesn't bother me as he tends to be a major source of foul trouble for the other team. I think he'd draw even more fouls if he just LOOKED a little more in control - he just looks wild and I think it causes the refs to swallow the whistle several times a game.

I agree it doesn't bother me. I would add that Miami is an above average athletic team so getting blocked trying to make a play is going to happen against them. Even when he isn't as rusty as he is now.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am wondering why CJP would move Ben outside and a few thoughts come to mind:

1- He wants to give AD as much time in the post as possible this year because he knows AD will be back for a graduate season.

2- AD needs to be on the floor, but cannot contribute anything from outside.

3- He wants to give Ben some time away from the basket to improve his drat status.

4- Others???

I think it is likely #2.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
#2 and only #2

He is thinking the improvement for AD and opening the floor for others to drive the basket is worth more than the reduction in what he gets out of Ben. Whether other teams guard Ben out there like Miami did remains to be seen.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
#2 and only #2

He is thinking the improvement for AD and opening the floor for others to drive the basket is worth more than the reduction in what he gets out of Ben. Whether other teams guard Ben out there like Miami did remains to be seen.

While he's struggled this year, Ben has shown ability to hit shots from range. They may not be 3ptrs, but we put someone at the 4 on offense that can produce and AD can just attempt his putbacks & over the shoulder shots.

Downside - does it draw Ben away from his distributing spot in the high post?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I am wondering why CJP would move Ben outside and a few thoughts come to mind:

1- He wants to give AD as much time in the post as possible this year because he knows AD will be back for a graduate season.

2- AD needs to be on the floor, but cannot contribute anything from outside.

3- He wants to give Ben some time away from the basket to improve his drat status.

4- Others???

I think it is likely #2.

I think it's a combination of things. It makes no sense to have AD drift around the perimeter like we were having him do most of the time before. We could have gone to a high post low post game with Ben at the Foul line and elbows and Gueye bouncing between blocks, but I think the idea is that would clog the middle a bit too much considering how Okogie, Jackson, and Jose play. We want lanes open not just to cut but also to drive. I imagine if we had more pure shooters we'd see more of that but with the way our team is set up it makes sense.

I also think there is an idea that we have to have Ben be more of a scorer this year and less of a distributor. Even with Gueye in the post I don't expect him to score much, and having Ben get good looks from the elbow means he's much more likely to be in rhythm which would give us at least 3 guys that we can rely on to give us ~12-15 nightly.

It takes pressure off Ben which is good for two reasons. One, he's been pressing and IMO it's affecting him. Secondly we need to start transitioning to having Jose run the show. A guy like Ben who you can run an entire offense through at the high post is rare and we won't have him next year. Really need to start grooming Jose to not just be a starting pg but being the PG of the team, if that makes sense. It'll take some time for guys to adjust but I think it's best for the longterm good of the program, and sense the alternative wasn't working there's no real downside imo.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

He doesn't often use pull-ups, floaters, reverses, jams, or passing when driving the lane. He is quite crafty, athletic, aggressive, and controlled. So that nets a near-certain prediction of a straight-on layup attempt with a high probability of accuracy and drawing the foul and a higher than average probability of a blocked shot. Due to body control, length, and layups being chosen, he's not as easy to draw a charge on as might otherwise be expected. He could certainly work on variety and get his shot blocked less, but he's the only guy where I don't have a problem with being as aggressive as he possibly can. It doesn't always work, but the chance of it working is always high enough to go to it every play. Like giving the ball to Bo in TECMO.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Craziest play of the night I haven’t seen anyone talk about: Okogie’s baseline falling out of bounds steal turned into a perfect behind the back pass to Alvarado at the top of the key. That happened right in front of me and was unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Finally got to watch the game last night. It's weird being in a 24-hour bubble and having no clue that we beat a top 15 team.

On the JO play, I had to rewind when this play happened as the real-time "bang-bang" of it left me wondering what the heck just happened.

I don't really have much to offer that hasn't been said, but a few points:
  1. I agree that it's never as good or as bad as it seems. We won the game and were the better team. With that I was pleasantly reminded/surprised about GT's potential while, frankly, wondering how in the world Miami was ranked #15. Hadn't watched them before and am really surprised at what they displayed. They didn't even look all that athletic either relative to your typical ACC squad.
  2. I'm still not sure what we're trying to get out of Wright and Cole and feel CJP might still be feeling things out. In any case, I generally like short rotations and CJP went with what was working.
  3. In the spirit of shorter rotations, it's surprising that Alston gets the same or more minutes than Tadric. I don't see Alston as helpful on O or D as Jax, minus the occasional Jax brain fart.
Overall really good and much needed win. I think we can win a few more this year but still don't see us matching last year's ACC win total. I also think if Miami offers the same kind of effort they gave throughout the rest of the ACC schedule, we'll quickly learn that we did not in fact beat a top 15 team. Not really sure what to make of Miami yet.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

FYI, this is the dude who wrote the Ron Bell article, if anyone wants to throw shade his way

I don't think the Ron Bell article hurt us. The NCAA already had what it needed from our self-reporting. the final outcome was always going to be what it was. Tadric's suspension was limited to three games (we won two of them) and JO was injured. It is possible the Parrish article helped a bit, as it showed what a narcissist the jerk really is. Oh, and Ron Bell, too.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The hidden stat that was the big difference in the teams was --steals. 13 for nite by us -wow.The best of JP era?
How much energy does JA have? He runs the top of zone all nite.JO is just a HUGE wingspan bird on def and a missile to basket on OFF.(btw--the ONE 3pt he/we made was the most important of game).Tad had 6 rebs and 3 steals,more of a team player.
HUGE win.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
One thing of note is not just that Gueye played much better and with more minutes than we've seen, we were very active at getting him into low post position in the offense. This forced the defense to pay active attention to him and free up our other guys. I was against him playing in the 4 spot alongside Ben earlier on, but this worked well. Hopefully we can get Ben more involved offensively in the future, too.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Finally got to watch the game last night. It's weird being in a 24-hour bubble and having no clue that we beat a top 15 team.

On the JO play, I had to rewind when this play happened as the real-time "bang-bang" of it left me wondering what the heck just happened.

I don't really have much to offer that hasn't been said, but a few points:
  1. I agree that it's never as good or as bad as it seems. We won the game and were the better team. With that I was pleasantly reminded/surprised about GT's potential while, frankly, wondering how in the world Miami was ranked #15. Hadn't watched them before and am really surprised at what they displayed. They didn't even look all that athletic either relative to your typical ACC squad.
  2. I'm still not sure what we're trying to get out of Wright and Cole and feel CJP might still be feeling things out. In any case, I generally like short rotations and CJP went with what was working.
  3. In the spirit of shorter rotations, it's surprising that Alston gets the same or more minutes than Tadric. I don't see Alston as helpful on O or D as Jax, minus the occasional Jax brain fart.
Overall really good and much needed win. I think we can win a few more this year but still don't see us matching last year's ACC win total. I also think if Miami offers the same kind of effort they gave throughout the rest of the ACC schedule, we'll quickly learn that we did not in fact beat a top 15 team. Not really sure what to make of Miami yet.

I think on point 3 alot of it is the shorter rotation. GT played small ball for 15 min against Miami. That is a time period which both have to play. Also, they have different strengths. Tadric is a better scorer and penetrator. Alston gives you more of an outside threat and is better with ball security. Also, I think Tad's defensive lapses just kill Pastner. His very first defensive series he fell asleep and allowed a backdoor alley-oop. Pastner mentioned after the Coppin State game that Tad would come off the bench. He felt Tad plays better coming off the bench and it gives them more power off the bench.

I think if Haywood was healthy he would get alot of Alston's min.

I sort of expect GT to play as much small ball as they feel they can get away with. Right now going small with Alston and Haywood when he is back likely puts a stronger team on the floor than playing Wright or Cole. Pastner also mentioned after the ND game that he didn't play them in that game because he didn't like their effort in practice before the game and he said you have to practice hard if you want to play in the games. I just don't think either Wright or Cole is ready for significant min against ACC competition. So i think they will play as much of Lammers and AD as they can (starting them together and using AD to backup Lammers a few min per game) and then go small ball rather than using one of the developmental FR for the most part. The big issue with AD is he cannot avoid fouls so you probably havea cap of 25 mpg you can get out of him.

i like the idea of playing AD more as a 5 on offense. He is better closer in to the basket. Lammers is more comfortable shooting 15-18 feet. I think until Haywood returns Pastner largely has his rotations figured out. He's basically playing 6 - Lammers, AD, Jose, JO, Tad, and Alston with Cole or Wright getting a few min if they need a bigger lineup and can't have Lammers and AD in together (likely due to fouls).

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think on point 3 alot of it is the shorter rotation. GT played small ball for 15 min against Miami. That is a time period which both have to play. Also, they have different strengths. Tadric is a better scorer and penetrator. Alston gives you more of an outside threat and is better with ball security. Also, I think Tad's defensive lapses just kill Pastner. His very first defensive series he fell asleep and allowed a backdoor alley-oop. Pastner mentioned after the Coppin State game that Tad would come off the bench. He felt Tad plays better coming off the bench and it gives them more power off the bench.

I think if Haywood was healthy he would get alot of Alston's min.

I sort of expect GT to play as much small ball as they feel they can get away with. Right now going small with Alston and Haywood when he is back likely puts a stronger team on the floor than playing Wright or Cole. Pastner also mentioned after the ND game that he didn't play them in that game because he didn't like their effort in practice before the game and he said you have to practice hard if you want to play in the games. I just don't think either Wright or Cole is ready for significant min against ACC competition. So i think they will play as much of Lammers and AD as they can (starting them together and using AD to backup Lammers a few min per game) and then go small ball rather than using one of the developmental FR for the most part. The big issue with AD is he cannot avoid fouls so you probably havea cap of 25 mpg you can get out of him.

i like the idea of playing AD more as a 5 on offense. He is better closer in to the basket. Lammers is more comfortable shooting 15-18 feet. I think until Haywood returns Pastner largely has his rotations figured out. He's basically playing 6 - Lammers, AD, Jose, JO, Tad, and Alston with Cole or Wright getting a few min if they need a bigger lineup and can't have Lammers and AD in together (likely due to fouls).
Good points and I can see why Pastner might favor Alston more.

I guess a better way of stating my point is when I see Alston (29 min) and Jackson (28 min), I want to see more like Alston (24 min) and Jackson (34 min). Or something close to that. Against Miami in the 2nd half, Jackson didn't sub in until about 12 min to go if I remember correctly. So it wasn't just small ball, it was CJP's preference of Alston. I agree that it seems Pastner is inclined to go with avg/solid vs. the sometimes Jekyll and Hyde.

I'm not convinced Alston is a better defender... just more inclined to try to be in the right spot... but I don't think he has the foot speed to guard penetration. He can shoot better than Jackson. Jackson is much better in transition, on the boards and creating for others. Probably just stating the obvious and simply highlighting what I prefer.

In any case, we won. Not complaining, just an observation.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow

I guess a better way of stating my point is when I see Alston (29 min) and Jackson (28 min), I want to see more like Alston (24 min) and Jackson (34 min). Or something close to that. Against Miami in the 2nd half, Jackson didn't sub in until about 12 min to go if I remember correctly. So it wasn't just small ball, it was CJP's preference of Alston. I agree that it seems Pastner is inclined to go with avg/solid vs. the sometimes Jekyll and Hyde.

I'm not convinced Alston is a better defender... just more inclined to try to be in the right spot... but I don't think he has the foot speed to guard penetration. He can shoot better than Jackson. Jackson is much better in transition, on the boards and creating for others. Probably just stating the obvious and simply highlighting what I prefer.

I think in one of Pastner's press conferences this week he said that he thought Jax's effectiveness dropped a lot with more minutes. He may have even referenced 30 minutes as kind of his target. From that philosophy, assuming he wants Jax in at the end of the game, he'll limit his minutes in the early parts.

He also said that he's told Jax just not to shoot 3 pointers - look to drive the ball, or pull up for a 2 pointer, which is his strength.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

for whatever its worth Alston has 6 assts to 1 TO in last 2 games ,so he is not turnover prone as Tad is some and even JA