Article Georgia Tech vs Miami

• Highlight

Georgia Tech vs Miami

Georgia Tech, 0-1 in ACC play, is coming off a hard-fought effort that fell just short on the road against Notre Dame. Luckily the Yellow Jackets are able to turn their focus over to the Miami Hurricanes on Wednesday in a home tilt. The U is 12-1 on the season and was one of the five undefeated teams remaining before being knocked off against New Mexico State two days before Christmas. Some can say that their record is a little skewed due to the opponents they have played, with the best win coming on the road against Minnesota, 86-81. According to CBSSports.com Miami’s strength of schedule is 90th in the country.

The man leading the way for Miami is Jim Larrañaga. He is in his seventh year at the U, with two trips to the Sweet 16 along with ACC Coach of the Year in 2013. Before coming to Miami, he had long stops at George Mason and Bowling Green. Coach Larrañaga has been the National Coach of the Year according to AP & Naismith and is known as one of the top coaches in college hoops and has the hardware to prove it.

Jim Larrañaga has another nice squad this year with multiple pieces to work with, the main man being 6’5” sophomore guard #11, Bruce Brown Jr. Brown flirted with the NBA last year but decided to return to school to increase his stock. So far it is paying dividends as Brown is currently projected to go 20th to the Indiana Pacers on NBADraft.net. He is a beast when he drives to the hoop and attacks the rim. His outside game and shot is still a work in progress, which is one of the reasons why he came back to school, but don’t be fooled…he can still knock down the open shot, and force his way to the paint to get buckets.

Along with Bruce Brown Jr. is the 6’5” McDonald’s All-American and true freshman #4, Lonnie Walker IV. Walker was considered one of the top players in the 2017 class and was a huge get for the Hurricanes, not only for his unique Elfrid Payton style hair, but also his crazy athleticism. He is widely considered to be a 1-and-done and is projected to be the 14th overall pick to the New York Knicks according to NBADraft.net. His potential leaves me a little confused with the way he is being used so far this season, as he has yet to have constant minutes nor find a solid place in the rotation. His season high for minutes was 29 against Pittsburgh, but before that it was 28 minutes against Boston University (where he scored 26 points in that time). It might be that Coach Larrañaga was waiting for ACC play to unleash him, but you would think that you would want to utilize a talent such as Lonnie Walker IV as much as possible.

Running the show for the Hurricanes is 6’3 senior #0, Ja’Quan Newton. He attacks the paint hard like Brown Jr. and has the combination of speed and strength to be successful. He is as sound as it gets on defense and plays tough in your face D all game. One of the few downfalls for the steady upperclassmen is he sometimes coughs the ball up. When you make him go left on the drive he can get out of control, which can be beneficial if Georgia Tech takes advantage of this.

The other guard is 6’3” sophomore out of Melbourne, Australia #1, Dejan “Can I Buy A Vowel” Vasiljevic. At first glance with Vasilievic, you’d think “who let this guy from the Rec League put on a uniform?” But then he starts shooting. Swish, swish, swish. He is a pure shooter who can also take you off the dribble. It might be on purpose, but he has a floater that is highly similar to fellow Aussie and NBA player Matthew Dellavedova. He will hit you with a pump fake after nailing two threes, then complete a nice floater to keep you from closing out on him the next time down.

On the wing for Miami is 6’7” junior #3, Anthony Lawrence II. He is the nice solid player that every team needs. Lawrence is good on defense, can set up his teammates, hits the boards, and can knock down the three. It is hard to find a weak spot in his game. He is that reliable upperclassman that can be trusted in ACC play and the tournament to make the right play.

Down on the block is 6’11” sophomore #20, Dewan Huell. He is long and physical with a filled-out body for such a young player. He hits the boards aggressively along with nicely set screens. He has nice touch around the paint and is starting to hit the mid-range jumpers. He is the type of player that Ben Lammers tends to have a challenging time against as he’s relentless and active.

Prediction: Jose Alvarado and company will have the opportunity to get some turnovers. It just comes down to if they take advantage of them. I want to see better free throw shooting and continued tough defense. I expect a big game from Tadric Jackson with Vasilievic guarding him and most of the points coming from Tad. But after playing it out, it is hard to imagine a scenario where Tech can get it done. Anything can happen in the ACC but Miami by 9.

Last edited:

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I noticed how, more than not, Alvarado/Okogie/Alston were really playing great zone D together. They were usually very much in sync, especially Okogie and Alvarado. Obviously has to do with familiarity increasing. But the guards were also talking well together.

The defense looked completely different than most of this season because of that. This staff showed last year that teaching defense first, hanging your hat on that, can produce wins. I think if this is a consistent theme in building the program then they could find some sustainable success at Tech. The one and done type players typically don't like to learn the defense first, they prefer to be showcased offensively. So the priority has to be recruiting into this program mentality. The class coming in next season looks like a perfect fit.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hmph
Thanks for that. Didn’t know that story

Really? I figured it was common knowledge that the only reason Wooden was so successful was because his players were bought and paid for.

Kinda easy to have a "pyramid of success" when you completely out-talent everybody during an era when there wasn't much talent out there in the first place.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
It's amazing how fans get overly excited about wins and overly disturbed about losses.

1-10 on 3pt attempts. This must be one of he worst outside shooting teams in NCAA history. We won't win many more shooting like that. You can't count on getting 12 more FT attempts than the other team.

CGB, where are you? I hope he doesn't have a leg injury, or his shot may go with it.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I thought the defensive effort was so much better last night than we saw earlier in the season - the communication on the wings was the key in my opinion. Very few open looks from 3 in the second half. We got caught with our pants down a couple times (oop to Walker, a couple backdoor cuts on Gueye), but overall the effort was solid. A couple of Gueye's fouls could be attributed to him not seeing zone and ball and being out of position.

Like the adjustment to extend aggressive ball pressure 10 feet past the top of the key. Nice rotations by Alston / Okogie / Jose to keep the gap covered on weak side. This made it really hard for the Newton / Lykes to make effective entry passes other than 30 feet from the hoop. At times they got past us and found good looks for cutters from the wings, but they really stopped the dribble penetration and pocket pass for layups and dunks that killed us in first 10-15 minutes. This won't work against every team, but worked really well last night.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
It's amazing how fans get overly excited about wins and overly disturbed about losses.

1-10 on 3pt attempts. This must be one of he worst outside shooting teams in NCAA history. We won't win many more shooting like that. You can't count on getting 12 more FT attempts than the other team.

CGB, where are you? I hope he doesn't have a leg injury, or his shot may go with it.

Don't think anyone is overly applauding the offensive effort last night (outside of JO). However, holding Miami to under 30% shooting in the second half deserves major praise.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don't think anyone is overly applauding the offensive effort last night (outside of JO). However, holding Miami to under 30% shooting in the second half deserves major praise.

Not to mention that people are forgetting (or don't know) that Miami was/is one of the top defensive teams in the conference/country. It wasn't pretty, but we executed down the stretch and got a big and much-needed W!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Any update regarding CH (CGB) anticipated to to actually play? I understand that he "stretched" pre-game, but obviously still isn't playing.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Woohooo! A win! Over a ranked team! This team does have a pulse, and they have shown that they won't go down without a fight.

The defense looked very good (although I thought Miami played pretty poorly and missed lots of shots, too), and that is the kind of defense that we will need to win games in the ACC. I think the shortened bench helps with this, as these guys tend to interact well and defend well together.

The offense...was the Josh O show. I think we are finally getting the see the JO that we hoped for this year. He is a certified stud (now averaging 20 ppg). Lammers playing the 4 for a bit was interesting, but I still feel like we have no post-up game (do we need one?). AD played pretty well, but I wish Ogbonda was back (or that Wright could give us some solid minutes). I loved the intensity from Alvarado and JO, and Alston wasn't a complete black hole. Tadric is who he is, but I do like the recent upswing in rebounding from him--we need it! Wish somebody could make an outside shot. If I were coaching against us, I would run a zone and pack the middle all day. Like it has been mentioned, we really need Haywood back.

CJP took well-timed timeouts, we seemed to have a good game-plan, and the guys kept the energy up. Let's keep it up and turn this season around! Go Jackets!

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
One thing about last night is it seemed like everyone was playing really hard. It's easy to say that in a win but a lot of times this season the effort just didn't seem there. Passing, steals, going for loose balls, making Miami miss the GD shot when we foul. The Alvarado stuff and steal at the end of the game has to be on Sportscenter right? I'm fine with being in rebuilding mode etc but I won't tolerate lack of effort as a fan. I will caveat this by saying I don't think for an instant the guys were not trying or anything and I know being a student athlete is difficult and sometimes you just have a bad game.

Alston, who I haven't been too impressed with, was decent last night. He seems a step slower than a lot of the guys on the court, but he does seem like he's in control of whatever he does. I would like to see more off the ball movement and cutting to the basket. That was a lot of fun to watch last year and at the end of the game last night it just seemed like it was the let JO dribble around some screens and then shoot a fade away jumper with 6 seconds on the shot clock while everyone stands around.

Milwaukee

Banned
Really? I figured it was common knowledge that the only reason Wooden was so successful was because his players were bought and paid for.

Kinda easy to have a "pyramid of success" when you completely out-talent everybody during an era when there wasn't much talent out there in the first place.

Nick Saban: "hold my beer"

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Riiiiiight. Bama just reels 'em in, cuz...you know.....

Uh yeah, they do just reel 'em in at this point.

Wait, y'all think Bama still needs to pay guys? They're a (supposed) sure-fire path to the NFL. They don't need to pay guys anymore. Look at UK basketball. You think Calipari has been "clean" this long? No, it's just that UK doesn't need to pay kids the way MEM and UMass had to.

Places like OleMiss or Kentucky (football) need to pay guys, not Bama.

Please understand, I am in no way shape or form a Bama fan so I'm not trying to defend them or anything. I just don't think they need to pay guys anymore ...

... that said, I don't put it past them to pay a guy like the Collins kid a few years back to get him out of LSU's grips. But did they really need to do that or were they just being greedy?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's amazing how fans get overly excited about wins and overly disturbed about losses. ....

For this team, I agree. Last night's win was very sweet since it shows in performance that the team hasn't given up. One could argue from a talent point of view that was possible after losing to Woffard, UGAg (the margin) and frickin Wright State.

I'll say again what I said after the Wright State debacle, I think that CJP has the highest upside potential of the three major men's sports (e.g. more than Johnson or Hall).

I don't expect us to go the the NCAAs now given our pre-ACC record, so last night's kick in the nuts to Miami was great. Here's to a few more this year!