Article Georgia Tech vs Miami

• Highlight

Georgia Tech vs Miami

Georgia Tech, 0-1 in ACC play, is coming off a hard-fought effort that fell just short on the road against Notre Dame. Luckily the Yellow Jackets are able to turn their focus over to the Miami Hurricanes on Wednesday in a home tilt. The U is 12-1 on the season and was one of the five undefeated teams remaining before being knocked off against New Mexico State two days before Christmas. Some can say that their record is a little skewed due to the opponents they have played, with the best win coming on the road against Minnesota, 86-81. According to CBSSports.com Miami’s strength of schedule is 90th in the country.

The man leading the way for Miami is Jim Larrañaga. He is in his seventh year at the U, with two trips to the Sweet 16 along with ACC Coach of the Year in 2013. Before coming to Miami, he had long stops at George Mason and Bowling Green. Coach Larrañaga has been the National Coach of the Year according to AP & Naismith and is known as one of the top coaches in college hoops and has the hardware to prove it.

Jim Larrañaga has another nice squad this year with multiple pieces to work with, the main man being 6’5” sophomore guard #11, Bruce Brown Jr. Brown flirted with the NBA last year but decided to return to school to increase his stock. So far it is paying dividends as Brown is currently projected to go 20th to the Indiana Pacers on NBADraft.net. He is a beast when he drives to the hoop and attacks the rim. His outside game and shot is still a work in progress, which is one of the reasons why he came back to school, but don’t be fooled…he can still knock down the open shot, and force his way to the paint to get buckets.

Along with Bruce Brown Jr. is the 6’5” McDonald’s All-American and true freshman #4, Lonnie Walker IV. Walker was considered one of the top players in the 2017 class and was a huge get for the Hurricanes, not only for his unique Elfrid Payton style hair, but also his crazy athleticism. He is widely considered to be a 1-and-done and is projected to be the 14th overall pick to the New York Knicks according to NBADraft.net. His potential leaves me a little confused with the way he is being used so far this season, as he has yet to have constant minutes nor find a solid place in the rotation. His season high for minutes was 29 against Pittsburgh, but before that it was 28 minutes against Boston University (where he scored 26 points in that time). It might be that Coach Larrañaga was waiting for ACC play to unleash him, but you would think that you would want to utilize a talent such as Lonnie Walker IV as much as possible.

Running the show for the Hurricanes is 6’3 senior #0, Ja’Quan Newton. He attacks the paint hard like Brown Jr. and has the combination of speed and strength to be successful. He is as sound as it gets on defense and plays tough in your face D all game. One of the few downfalls for the steady upperclassmen is he sometimes coughs the ball up. When you make him go left on the drive he can get out of control, which can be beneficial if Georgia Tech takes advantage of this.

The other guard is 6’3” sophomore out of Melbourne, Australia #1, Dejan “Can I Buy A Vowel” Vasiljevic. At first glance with Vasilievic, you’d think “who let this guy from the Rec League put on a uniform?” But then he starts shooting. Swish, swish, swish. He is a pure shooter who can also take you off the dribble. It might be on purpose, but he has a floater that is highly similar to fellow Aussie and NBA player Matthew Dellavedova. He will hit you with a pump fake after nailing two threes, then complete a nice floater to keep you from closing out on him the next time down.

On the wing for Miami is 6’7” junior #3, Anthony Lawrence II. He is the nice solid player that every team needs. Lawrence is good on defense, can set up his teammates, hits the boards, and can knock down the three. It is hard to find a weak spot in his game. He is that reliable upperclassman that can be trusted in ACC play and the tournament to make the right play.

Down on the block is 6’11” sophomore #20, Dewan Huell. He is long and physical with a filled-out body for such a young player. He hits the boards aggressively along with nicely set screens. He has nice touch around the paint and is starting to hit the mid-range jumpers. He is the type of player that Ben Lammers tends to have a challenging time against as he’s relentless and active.

Prediction: Jose Alvarado and company will have the opportunity to get some turnovers. It just comes down to if they take advantage of them. I want to see better free throw shooting and continued tough defense. I expect a big game from Tadric Jackson with Vasilievic guarding him and most of the points coming from Tad. But after playing it out, it is hard to imagine a scenario where Tech can get it done. Anything can happen in the ACC but Miami by 9.

Last edited:

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
New Article Posted
Georgia Tech vs Miami

Georgia Tech, 0-1 in ACC play, is coming off a hard-fought effort that fell just short on the road against Notre Dame. Luckily the Yellow Jackets are able to turn their focus over to the Miami Hurricanes on Wednesday in a home tilt. The U is 12-1 on the season and was one of the five undefeated teams remaining before being knocked off against New Mexico State two days before Christmas. Some can say that their record is a little ...

Click here to read more ...
Last edited:

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Wish I had a better feeling about tonight. Tough matchup even before the injury bug decimated us.
Saw some good things against ND and simply hope they continue tonight. Play with energy and focus - especially on D.
Offense will be tough especially without Haywood. I think the line is probably too small but really just want to see the continued improvement from the depths of Grambling.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
A few quick-hitters:
Bruce Brown v. Josh Okogie — This season, JO's box score #s look equal or better than last year, but the way he's getting them does not seem as dynamic or crucial as last year. Maybe the rust, but he doesn't seem as aggressive, and lacks explosiveness right at the rim (lot of his shots getting blocked). His (lack of) aggressiveness seems odd to me, especially for a team that NEEDS a creator right now. I'm hoping the NBA-bound Brown can create the motivation to see the genuine re-emergence of the Gold Mamba, and the clear-cut leader this team sorely needs.
Unproven 12-1? — Is Miami a legit 1-loss team ... I'm not convinced yet, and maybe not even after this game. Overall, they've dodged the tough teams, so maybe we sneak up with our talent that's been dormant.
10 Fast-break points — Not sure how with Alvarado, Jackson and Okogie that we do not quick-hit for 10 pts each game. We MUST find easy points, and these three have the defensive rebounding and speed to unleash.
Offense NOT through Ben Lammers — For whatever reason, the current system is not working right now. I hope CJP has put in some variations to run offense through JO, as well as continued use of TJ.
Miami's Kevin James-looking chubby guard — If Vasiljevic, that pot-bellied King of Queens look-alike, kills us for 20 I'm heading to my panic room. How does the rec-league physique go off on so many teams? Mind-boggling ... but I wish he was dropping 3s for us.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I wish I was more optimistic, but I think the matchups favor Miami, especially with CGB out.
Newton - Alvarado is a nice matchup, but I think the senior has an edge overt the frosh.
Lammers - Huell should be a great one, but Ben hasn't played well this year. I have no clue if it's the ankle, but he hasn't looked like last year's Ben. Call it a draw unless Lammers plays like last year
Brown - Okogie is a greta matchup. Call it a draw.
I assume Lawrence will guard Tadric. Edge Tadric but on the other end he has to guard Vasiljevic, which means the dude could hit 40.
Larranaga has a helluva track record and is a proven game coach. I hate to say it, but edge to Miami.

If I were forced to lay money on the game, I'd take Miami and give 5. That said, I don't bet against Tech, so it's a purely hypothetical scenario