Article Georgia Tech vs FAMU

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Now that Okogie and Jackson are back I can't see Alston playing much.
I agree with that, but he should be the 5th guard in the rotation and probably get around 10 minutes a game with CGB, Alvarado, Tad, and Josh O getting the majority of the minutes. His experience is also valuable late in the game as is his ability to hit free throws.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't mind Alston out there for a few minutes. Can't say the same for our backup pg

I'm the opposite. Jose can't play 40 minutes and when he isn't in there Moore is our best bet. Moore has solid handles and defense. He's also not really forcing the issue on the offensive end, and most of the frustrating things are him not finishing drives. Alston is a liability on defense, has poor movement on offense, and his primary advantage for us, driving and getting fouled, is likely not going to be able to be done in ACC play. Moore shouldn't play much, but he should be the PG when Alvarado is sitting. Alston should only be playing when we need to sit two of Okogie/Jackson/Haywood which shouldn't be often, or when we are trying to put the game away with freethrows.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
FAMU is a bad team. We didn't play down to them, but we didn't really play real well consistently. Of course, that might have been from playing bench more minutes.

Man, I really want us to show out vs georgie.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I thought we played well tonight, all things considered.

1. Our TO rate seemed much lower than in prior games. That is what pleased me the most by a wide margin. I know we finished with 14, but don't think our front line guys had near that many.
  2. Lammers still looks rusty to me. Maybe his body is healthy now (I have no idea) but he still seemed out of sorts and not the Lammers of last year. Perhaps he just needs som amore time with a healthy body...
  3. Josh O looked rusty as well and I fully expected that. He ain't bad for being rusty though!
  4. Moses took advantage of an over-matched opponent. Finally! SO glad to see him show out. Doubt we'll see a game like that from him the rest of the year against better competition, but hey, it's a great start;
  5. We played a lot of guys and still had a 30+ point lead when we put in the walk-ons. Solid.
  6. Tadic suddenly finds his 3 point shot which has been missing all pre-season. Voila! Then tweaks his achilles...probably will screw up his shot for a while. Sacre bleu!
  7. I have not looked at the stats but I thought Juston Moore was pressing too much to make perfect passes, and making too many TO's as a result. But he still has the 2nd best handle after Jose.
  8. Jose has NOT yet learned what to do when he drives deep. He is getting his shot blocked or getting charging fouls instead of drawing fouls on the other team. Against FAMU. It'll be worse against ACC competition. He'll learn.
  9. I was glad to see Evan get some minutes. I thought he was very inconsistent out there, but glad to see him get some experience.
  10. I was happy to see how the starters cheered on the bench for everyone else who was in the game and playing. Especially the walk-ons. Great to see that kind of team chemistry!
  11. It still looks to me like we are paper thin....injuries could still derail us because we just don't have the depth, but I love this freshman class and hope we keep recruiting like this. We'll be a handful for anyone in another 2 years....
Overall, a pleasant night at McCamish imho.....

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I thought we played well tonight, all things considered.

1. Our TO rate seemed much lower than in prior games. That is what pleased me the most by a wide margin. I know we finished with 14, but don't think our front line guys had near that many.
  2. Lammers still looks rusty to me. Maybe his body is healthy now (I have no idea) but he still seemed out of sorts and not the Lammers of last year. Perhaps he just needs som amore time with a healthy body...
  3. Josh O looked rusty as well and I fully expected that. He ain't bad for being rusty though!
  4. Moses took advantage of an over-matched opponent. Finally! SO glad to see him show out. Doubt we'll see a game like that from him the rest of the year against better competition, but hey, it's a great start;
  5. We played a lot of guys and still had a 30+ point lead when we put in the walk-ons. Solid.
  6. Tadic suddenly finds his 3 point shot which has been missing all pre-season. Voila! Then tweaks his achilles...probably will screw up his shot for a while. Sacre bleu!
  7. I have not looked at the stats but I thought Juston Moore was pressing too much to make perfect passes, and making too many TO's as a result. But he still has the 2nd best handle after Jose.
  8. Jose has NOT yet learned what to do when he drives deep. He is getting his shot blocked or getting charging fouls instead of drawing fouls on the other team. Against FAMU. It'll be worse against ACC competition. He'll learn.
  9. I was glad to see Evan get some minutes. I thought he was very inconsistent out there, but glad to see him get some experience.
  10. I was happy to see how the starters cheered on the bench for everyone else who was in the game and playing. Especially the walk-ons. Great to see that kind of team chemistry!
  11. It still looks to me like we are paper thin....injuries could still derail us because we just don't have the depth, but I love this freshman class and hope we keep recruiting like this. We'll be a handful for anyone in another 2 years....
Overall, a pleasant night at McCamish imho.....
I think #8 will be a big difference to decide if we win 3 ACC games or 9.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Today was about confidence. Beat up someone and feel better about yourself. Hope it sticks around for a while but I am worried about all the players dinged up or coming back rusty.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe I missed this somewhere else, but our boy, Jon Rothstein, said that we will be evaluated from now on by the committee. Do the early losses matter? Sure! But he said we will be evaluated with what we look like since JO came back because that will be the team we have moving forward.

Any validity to Rothstein's opinion?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I missed this somewhere else, but our boy, Jon Rothstein, said that we will be evaluated from now on by the committee. Do the early losses matter? Sure! But he said we will be evaluated with what we look like since JO came back because that will be the team we have moving forward.

Any validity to Rothstein's opinion?

I think so, but we still have to make up for the losses in the tougher part of the schedule.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Im not sure Id call this a nice win as much as its nice to win. Good to get a W while resting Lammers

Jose continues to be inconsistent in the first 35 minutes of the game. I think he will grow out of that with experience. Needs to find a way to harness his intensity from the final five minutes of the game and play that way all the time

Does anyone know if CGB sitting out was precautionary? Would have have played if we were playing UGA?

I like Cole's athleticism (chase down blocks) but i think his footwork needs work and he still doesn't seem to know the offense. Reveno will fix that

J-Mo still didnt look good yesterday. I have concerns about his effectiveness/efficiency, not sure we can afford to have him on the court a ton. Made one really silly turnover on a pass to the wing that led to a break out.

I still think Moses's jumper, particularly his release point, needs to be adjusted. He is fun to watch, especially when he is playing well. Seems to really enjoy the game, almost looks like a silly kid on the floor a lot of the time.

In the end it was a game we should have won and we did. We were favored by 22.5 points at tip off i believe. Its just good to see JO back on the floor and playing hard, though each time he hit the floor I cringed.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Im not sure Id call this a nice win as much as its nice to win. Good to get a W while resting Lammers

Jose continues to be inconsistent in the first 35 minutes of the game. I think he will grow out of that with experience. Needs to find a way to harness his intensity from the final five minutes of the game and play that way all the time

Does anyone know if CGB sitting out was precautionary? Would have have played if we were playing UGA?

I like Cole's athleticism (chase down blocks) but i think his footwork needs work and he still doesn't seem to know the offense. Reveno will fix that

J-Mo still didnt look good yesterday. I have concerns about his effectiveness/efficiency, not sure we can afford to have him on the court a ton. Made one really silly turnover on a pass to the wing that led to a break out.

I still think Moses's jumper, particularly his release point, needs to be adjusted. He is fun to watch, especially when he is playing well. Seems to really enjoy the game, almost looks like a silly kid on the floor a lot of the time.

In the end it was a game we should have won and we did. We were favored by 22.5 points at tip off i believe. Its just good to see JO back on the floor and playing hard, though each time he hit the floor I cringed.
Hopefully we can all get front row seats on tuesday for the "Mo-Jo" show.... Please give me credit for this haha

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Good synopsis. Well, decent synopsis. :D

Agree on J-Mo. He and Alston are practice bodies IMHO so I look for them to move down the depth chart (assuming Alston comes back next year).

One thing about Cole is he is a sneaky mean player. Lil' dirty even. I likes. Clearly didn't learn that from squeaky-clean @ChasonBaller

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
J Mo can hardly get ball up court. Cole looks like hes in slow motion...Okogie is still a beast. We are good team when we have right people on court....and not so much when we have bunch of others on court. Our best 5 is pretty clear to me with Jose, Wade, Tad, Curtis, Ben getting majority of minutes while Moses earning more minutes as he keeps getting better throughout season and AD getting a couple while Ben takes a breather.