Georgia Tech @ Tennessee

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah, although I get that it's probably better to have him 'shirt, we need all the help we can get. Can't afford to throw away years from a competitive standpoint. Having only 2 competent bigs isn't a tenable situation considering the 2 fouls that have already been called on each in our upcoming Duke/UNC games. Yeah, it's already in the boxscore if you look.

He should be able to help us in that regard although again, so I don't get flamed, I get that it may be better philosophically to have him redshirt.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, although I get that it's probably better to have him 'shirt, we need all the help we can get. Can't afford to throw away years from a competitive standpoint. Having only 2 competent bigs isn't a tenable situation considering the 2 fouls that have already been called on each in our upcoming Duke/UNC games. Yeah, it's already in the boxscore if you look.

He should be able to help us in that regard although again, so I don't get flamed, I get that it may be better philosophically to have him redshirt.

Here's the trade-off...

He red shirts this year and you're likely competing for postseason next year & year after with a core of Jose, Devoe, Banks, and a ton of versatile wings.

He plays this year, you hope to make the NIT this year, NCAA next year, then you're turning over nearly 25%-33% of your roster after next year and hoping to reload. You can raise expectations a bit this year and next, but maybe not much, while maybe having to revise Year 5 expectations back down a bit. Year 5 might be just fine or it might be a scramble to fill holes before your older talent uses up its eligibility.

Either are fine, but let's just be realistic about what the consequences could be.

GT_EE78

Banned
Here's the trade-off...

He red shirts this year and you're likely competing for postseason next year & year after with a core of Jose, Devoe, Banks, and a ton of versatile wings.

He plays this year, you hope to make the NIT this year, NCAA next year, then you're turning over nearly 25%-33% of your roster after next year and hoping to reload. You can raise expectations a bit this year and next, but maybe not much, while maybe having to revise Year 5 expectations back down a bit. Year 5 might be just fine or it might be a scramble to fill holes before your older talent uses up its eligibility.

Either are fine, but let's just be realistic about what the consequences could be.
Uh , yea i see, but there were also 13 fouls racked up by AD,Sly and Moses against Lamar.

Jacketbacker17

Jolly Good Fellow
Uh , yea i see, but there were also 13 fouls racked up by AD,Sly and Moses against Lamar.
This. Stranger things have happened. The goal should always be to win and make the tourney. If James Banks increases those odds, then it is worth it. You never know. They have played 1 game this year and everybody is already writing them off and talking about next year's goals.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Here's the trade-off...

Agreed. Definitely a trade-off.

I feel like, if he's good enough to be that impactful after a 'shirt year, then he needs to be playing now. And it's CPast's job to manage the roster beyond that. Redshirting him is like a cop-out. Playing him is risky in that regard but, dang man, recruit/roster-manage better.

ETA: And furthermore how many times have we seen dudes (fball/bball) sit on the shelf then all of a sudden have to transfer out before ever playing due to ... reasons?

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Here's the trade-off...

Plus the quicker we look more competitive, the quicker we can get a look from recruits. I think having a better product this year, means more luck on the recruiting trail next year & the year after.

JonathanV

Georgia Tech Fan
What are the chances that Banks plays significant minutes and that he makes a difference tonight? I would guess that the guys being excited for the season might help as well.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I feel like, if he's good enough to be that impactful after a 'shirt year, then he needs to be playing now. And it's CPast's job to manage the roster beyond that. Redshirting him is like a cop-out. Playing him is risky in that regard but, dang man, recruit/roster-manage better.

ETA: And furthermore how many times have we seen dudes (fball/bball) sit on the shelf then all of a sudden have to transfer out before ever playing due to ... reasons?

Yeah. Fair points. I guess my overriding point is that we just need to mentally prepare as a fan base if we have all of this experienced depth in year 5, except for the post where we might have FR.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer

Yep, and if Pastner could land some of the guys in his back yard we wouldn't be worrying about a transfer playing in 2 years, because we'd have talent coming in to replace him.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah. Fair points. I guess my overriding point is that we just need to mentally prepare as a fan base if we have all of this experienced depth in year 5, except for the post where we might have FR.

With the way we appear to want to play, that could be palatable. A roll big to do dirt work should work. We can Gregory-up a big for that.

(Yeah, don't front, you know what that means.)

Yep, and if Pastner could land some of the guys in his back yard we wouldn't be worrying about a transfer playing in 2 years, because we'd have talent coming in to replace him.

Eggsactly

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
If you mean by “all this good news” both Banks and Lawson, reign in your enthusiasm a bit and read the Lawson thread under recruiting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Was trying to stay positive with Lawson. The 247 analysts all still saying GT so who knows