Georgia Tech @ Tennessee

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I was wondering if the coaches know how to coach this new offense. I didn’t see a fast moving flow. I only saw one or two people moving a lot of the time. What is the offense supposed to look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is supposed to have a lot of motion and ball movement, at least that is what Pastner has been talking about. In other words, the opposite of last night.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I was wondering if the coaches know how to coach this new offense. I didn’t see a fast moving flow. I only saw one or two people moving a lot of the time. What is the offense supposed to look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give them time. One of our assistant coaches has never been an assistant coach on any level, and another has been an assistant at a mediocre mid-major. They're learning on the job.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
It is supposed to have a lot of motion and ball movement, at least that is what Pastner has been talking about. In other words, the opposite of last night.
It was tough last night because we had trouble getting the ball to the free throw line/high post. This was largely because Tennessee's on-ball pressure was so good we couldn't get the ball to our big man in that spot. The offense is predicated off of having a good big man passer in the high post and cutting action from the wings. You don't get the ball to the free throw line = passing between the two wings and the guard up top and bad shots with the shot clock below 5 (ala last night).

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
It was tough last night because we had trouble getting the ball to the free throw line/high post. This was largely because Tennessee's on-ball pressure was so good we couldn't get the ball to our big man in that spot. The offense is predicated off of having a good big man passer in the high post and cutting action from the wings. You don't get the ball to the free throw line = passing between the two wings and the guard up top and bad shots with the shot clock below 5 (ala last night).

I'm pretty sure we were playing 4 out most of the time without a high post. Pastner only ran that offense because Lammers was so good at passing. I don't think we are planning to run that offense this year or Pastner was being really deceptive in the off-season.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Really I was somewhat pleased that we beat the 15 pt line.
Positives--
I believe that our DEF was as good as we could hope for early.This is a top 10 team maybe (not 5 ) we played.They got few easy buckets and we caused TOs.Our Def lowered the score --but because even with 30 fouls they didn't shoot that well on FTs. Banks is going to be a factor.Alston played like he is a 5 yr SR in ACC. The rest are not and played like it.
The unmentioned positive was 83% on FTs! A normal 57% and the score would have looked MUCH worse.
Negatives-
53 pts?-really ? even vs a VERY good DEF(even with our good FTs shooting) , What will we get vs uva? Shooting -horrible overall--the few assists and 15% from 3 tell the story . In the" we are not in hi school anymore category"--Devoe-- o pts, 0-6 FGs, 6 TOs--rough start
If we can't turn TOs to pts,this team will struggle to score most nights I'm afeared.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Here we go:

Overall I was pleased with what I saw last night, to reiterate what orientalnc said this is the best team we will play next to Duke. I didn't think our defense was that bad I just thought we could not hit shots/find good looks but this should be expected from this tough Tennessee team. Initially I was worried that our guys would not be able to respond to the physicality that Tenn would bring but GT definitely brought it. This team showed a lot of promise and there wasn't anything I saw last night that can't be fixed come ACC time.

A.D. - Great game defensively and staying out of foul trouble, I thought he was very physical and made some pretty good plays out of the post

Cole- He reverted to playing like he did freshman year, very timid and not very physical. I think he will be best coming off the bench this year

Alvarado- Played hard like he does every game, just couldn't hit any shots tonight

Brandon- He was one of the only guards who didn't settle on shooting jump shots all night and made it a mission to get to the rim, I can surely say I didn't expect to see this Brandon Alston this year.

Banks- Man, oh man. This guy is gonna be huge for this year, for his first organized game to be against the number 5 team in the country I was very impressed. This guy can definitely be that anchor we need

Wright- Should definitely be our starting 4 and proved it last night. Him and banks are gonna be one hell of a combo.

CGB/Phillips- Live by the three and die by the three

Devoe- His decision making looked suspect yesterday but I will chalk it up to being a Freshman. I think once he gets in the flow over the course of the season he will be good, I just hope he figures it out before ACC

Proposed 5 moving forward:

Alvarado
CGB/Phillips ( not sure who you pick from the two)
Alston
Wright
Banks
I'd like to see more of Moore also. I think he could make a difference too.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

As ESPN said, last year's offense was predicated on getting the ball to the high post and let Lammers be the play maker. We tried that some in the second half but it didn't work for both both AD not being a facilitator and UT's defensive pressure.

I totally agree we had problems with on ball pressure. Couldn't start an offense, couldn't beat any of their guards off the dribble. That is when you have to help with scheme and there are lots of options. Simple one is a high ball screen to generate a switch of the defender's big man on the lead guard. A staple NBA play. Alternates are down screens, weave, cuts off of a high post, baseline actions to get free in the corner, back cuts and replace etc. This was the kind of action I expected to see after CJP's comments in the off season. The type of actions that are focused on perimeter dominated offense but can help relieve ball pressure / help start an offense.

This is the kind of stuff that can be put in over the course of a season so we should see improvement. Just a little surprised they didn't have some of this already for UT.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you want to see how 4 out and 5 out sets should be run with lots of motion and picks watch Michigan and Villanova right now. Athletes are "slightly" better than ours but really fun to watch what they do. Lot of dribble drive like what we want to do but usually off of 3-4 passes and motion before the matchup and situation is right to drive. Makes things a lot easier.

slugboy

Staff member
Give them time. One of our assistant coaches has never been an assistant coach on any level, and another has been an assistant at a mediocre mid-major. They're learning on the job.

I’m not trying to trash the coaches, and I’m not the savviest fan, but I just couldn’t see a scheme or system in what they were doing. I didn’t see anything that looked like a team play. I saw some good individual play.
I hadn’t thought of the assistant coaches that way. I don’t know what they did at their previous schools.
I’m not sure what the wings are supposed to be doing. Alston looked good, and he and Alvarado looked like they had something in mind on offense. I saw Gueye play good defense. I saw some of the rest get open shots, but I didn’t see them moving to screen, or moving all that much.
I only saw the middle of the game, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m not trying to trash the coaches, and I’m not the savviest fan, but I just couldn’t see a scheme or system in what they were doing. I didn’t see anything that looked like a team play. I saw some good individual play.
I hadn’t thought of the assistant coaches that way. I don’t know what they did at their previous schools.
I’m not sure what the wings are supposed to be doing. Alston looked good, and he and Alvarado looked like they had something in mind on offense. I saw Gueye play good defense. I saw some of the rest get open shots, but I didn’t see them moving to screen, or moving all that much.
I only saw the middle of the game, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a whole lot to add, but what appeared to be a lack of scheme, I think can be attributed to a few things:

1. Tennessee is an above average team that played solid D from beginning to end. They’re gonna make a lot of teams look like that.

2. It was the second game of the season, and our squad is still learning the offense, and how to play with one another. We need these OOC games against lesser competitions to improve there.

3. Terrible outside shooting. We couldn’t throw it in the ocean and make the Vols pay when they did leave a guy open. We had a couple of straight bricks - top of the backboard style.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not a whole lot to add, but what appeared to be a lack of scheme, I think can be attributed to a few things:

1. Tennessee is an above average team that played solid D from beginning to end. They’re gonna make a lot of teams look like that.

2. It was the second game of the season, and our squad is still learning the offense, and how to play with one another. We need these OOC games against lesser competitions to improve there.

3. Terrible outside shooting. We couldn’t throw it in the ocean and make the Vols pay when they did leave a guy open. We had a couple of straight bricks - top of the backboard style.

Last bullet will be the one to watch. UT played good D, and so did we. They hit their open 3's. We didn't even hit the rim tooo often.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Last bullet will be the one to watch. UT played good D, and so did we. They hit their open 3's. We didn't even hit the rim tooo often.
GT is a bit better them at this point that i thought they were:cool: The Tennessee announcers tonight on the Vol Calls show said GT was better than people thought they were and that they really pushed Tennessee:cigar: