Georgia Tech Spring Game Thread

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Byerly might be the 2nd-3rd best QB we've had in the CPJ tenure. Not bad for a backup, but I do think he could compete for a starting job at most D1 schools. He doesn't have a rocket arm, but he throws an accurate, catchable ball, really good runner for a QB, and makes good decisions. Hope he gets some PT while giving JT a few breathers from all of the long runs he will be making.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Here is my main takeaway....I think the Dline will be improved this year. Having said that.....the first team oline won the battle imo. For dang sure didn't get dominated by the 1st team DLine. The second team Oline....now they got their butts handed to em :)

Ok....second takeaway.....Marcus Allen has some ability(y)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Byerly might be the 2nd-3rd best QB we've had in the CPJ tenure. Not bad for a backup, but I do think he could compete for a starting job at most D1 schools. He doesn't have a rocket arm, but he throws an accurate, catchable ball, really good runner for a QB, and makes good decisions. Hope he gets some PT while giving JT a few breathers from all of the long runs he will be making.

Pretty much agree with every bit of this...great post.....a simple like wasn't sufficient enuf.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I thought the first and second string back seven on D were pretty even (lots of quality depth), but the first team OL was way ahead of the second team OL (not even close). Passers looked better than receivers (when the QBs were not running for their life). The RS D players seemed to have progressed far more than the RS O players.
Due to injuries, I think the guys who played on the gold team OL were mostly 3rd stringers who had no clue where to go. Btw, the second team OL has never, ever, ever looked good in a spring game.

Body Massage Machine

Georgia Tech Fan
My observations:

1. Justin Thomas' decision making and ability is worth so much in this offense. This will help keep our offense rolling right along. We also have an excellent backup in Byerly who is very capable. Great to have two humble and talented guys at this excellent position.

2. Obviously depth is thin at BB, but Marcus Allen showed some good potential for being at the position for such a short time (he did start out there and has some experience). Reports are that his attitude is top notch (much like Synjyn Days) and will gladly do anything the coaches tell him. Hopefully he continues to improve and will provide us with a reliable option at B-back. We will definitely still need the transfer and incoming freshmen to make an impact.

3. A-backs seemed ok to me. Assuming we get a healthy Snoddy back, we have more home run threats here than we have had in the past. What I would like to see more of is consistent blocking on the perimeter and catching the ball. Should be fun to watch.

4. I did not get to see enough at WR to make a judgement. Jeune seems like he could be a go to guy. Who will be our devastating blockers?

Did not get to watch the line of scrimmage battles as much the first time around. I will take everyone's word for what they were saying about the defensive line.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Totally disagree. Don't take video (your wife will not like that, probably), but my advice is to "catch" if you can. I caught my first 3 (and would have the last two if they hadn't been an emergency c-section, twins). There's no experience like bringing your child into the world.

That being said, if you're squeamish with bodily fluids and blood, stay up near her head and hold her hand. It's pretty intense and your wife may rather you be there.
Not to make this about Eric, but my advice is to do what makes your wife feel the best. You'll receive benefits for years to come. And congrats!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Whiskey, had to give Tim some props. JT is the face of the team, but Tim could win us alot of games if needed. Tim is alot more physical and JT is alot faster. Overall there isn't that big of a drop off between them.
Think I know what you are trying to say, but when Thomas has the ball in his hand, there is a big drop off between him and anybody else.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Without having read any of this thread:
Impressed by:
A backs. Searcy looks good with the ball in his hands. Andrews missed the one catch but had some nice runs.
Isiah made some plays. I feel good here once Snoddy is back.
Allen impressed me, especially on the screens. He runs upright but is a physical dude. The long run reminded me of AA, just running through arm tackles. We just need someone else to step up in fall until Allen puts it all together ala Synjin. Biggest battle on offense in fall, in my estimation.
Jeune caught the ball well, but I didn't notice his blocking.

Defense-
We need Jabari.
DL will be deeper this year, assuming we have Jabari.
Freeman is a future All American.
Kagawa made some plays, as did Jalen Johnson.

We had a lot of guys out on both sides, but it was still an entertaining game.
B-Back is the only spot I feel worse about leaving spring than going in, and that is due to injuries.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
It's hard to compare the second string d to the second string o because I think we have a lot more third string guys on the o line but I do feel the second string d played very well and I like the depth.
I was impressed with hunt-day, whitehead, kallon, Allen, a back position in general and June made some good plays as well over all I see very good potential to have a year just as good if not better than last year, we still have questions I believe so it all depends on how those are answered by the players and what guys step up, I'm so ready for this season to start.