Georgia Tech Spring Game Thread

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Without having read any of this thread:
Impressed by:
A backs. Searcy looks good with the ball in his hands. Andrews missed the one catch but had some nice runs.
Isiah made some plays. I feel good here once Snoddy is back.
Allen impressed me, especially on the screens. He runs upright but is a physical dude. The long run reminded me of AA, just running through arm tackles. We just need someone else to step up in fall until Allen puts it all together ala Synjin. Biggest battle on offense in fall, in my estimation.
Jeune caught the ball well, but I didn't notice his blocking.

Defense-
We need Jabari.
DL will be deeper this year, assuming we have Jabari.
Freeman is a future All American.
Kagawa made some plays, as did Jalen Johnson.

We had a lot of guys out on both sides, but it was still an entertaining game.
B-Back is the only spot I feel worse about leaving spring than going in, and that is due to injuries.

I agree except that I actually feel better about B-Back. I think that we will be alright with Marcus and will be able to find a serviceable back-up.

Also, I like Summers's catch in the endzone and how he came back to help bailout Byerly.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I feel better about overall depth.

I agree, especially on D where we are 3 deep in the back 7 and at DE. We are especially deep without much drop off at LB, S, and CB. With Jabari eligible, an improving Kallon, and no significant injuries we are OK at DT.

I really like our young OL potential (Stickler, Brown, Bryan, Preddy, Whitley) but I think their Spring Game performance indicates they are 15 months away and not ready for platoon work in 2015. Instead I believe will will see substitutions from Fromayan, Marshall, Klock, Devine, and Brigham to keep us fresh enough. Except for the unknown situation at BB we are OK at WR, AB, and QB.

I am especially perplexed about our starting OL lineup. Prior to the Spring practices I thought it would be:
LT...Chamberlain...Klock
LG...Braun...Brigham
C......Burden...Marshall
RG...Devine...Brown
RT...Joe...Fromayan

Then we heard in the middle of Spring practice it might be something like:
LT...Fromayan...Klock
LG...Chamberlain...Devine
C......Burden...Marshall
RG...Braun...Brigham
RT...Joe...one of the RS freshmen?

Now I can see the possibility of:
LT...Chamberlain...Klock
LG...Braun...Devine
C......Marshall...Brigham
RG...Burden...Brown
RT...Joe...Fromayan

I no longer believe it will be option 1. The goal I am sure is to get the best 5 OL on the field and still have backup versatility. What do you think?

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I agree except that I actually feel better about B-Back. I think that we will be alright with Marcus and will be able to find a serviceable back-up.

Also, I like Summers's catch in the endzone and how he came back to help bailout Byerly.
Listening to Allen's post-game, it sounds like he still had to learn a lot about football when he got here. I didn't know he had only played for 5 years before college.
He said WTTE of : When coaches recruited me, they said I could play a bunch of positions. I didn't know they were being so literal. [emoji1]
I hope he works hard this summer. He has a lot of upside.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I agree, especially on D where we are 3 deep in the back 7 and at DE. We are especially deep without much drop off at LB, S, and CB. With Jabari eligible, an improving Kallon, and no significant injuries we are OK at DT.

I really like our young OL potential (Stickler, Brown, Bryan, Preddy, Whitley) but I think their Spring Game performance indicates they are 15 months away and not ready for platoon work in 2015. Instead I believe will will see substitutions from Fromayan, Marshall, Klock, Devine, and Brigham to keep us fresh enough. Except for the unknown situation at BB we are OK at WR, AB, and QB.

I am especially perplexed about our starting OL lineup. Prior to the Spring practices I thought it would be:
LT...Chamberlain...Klock
LG...Braun...Brigham
C......Burden...Marshall
RG...Devine...Brown
RT...Joe...Fromayan

LT...Fromayan...Klock
C......Burden...Marshall
RG...Braun...Brigham

LT...Chamberlain...Klock
LG...Braun...Devine
RG...Burden...Brown
RT...Joe...Fromayan

I no longer believe it will be option 1. The goal I am sure is to get the best 5 OL on the field and still have backup versatility. What do you think?

Burden will be the starting C no doubt.

Marshall could have to redshirt this year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

LT...Chamberlain...Klock
LG...Braun...Brigham
C......Burden...Marshall
RG...Devine...Brown
RT...Joe...Fromayan

LT...Fromayan...Klock
C......Burden...Marshall
RG...Braun...Brigham

LT...Chamberlain...Klock
LG...Braun...Devine
RG...Burden...Brown
RT...Joe...Fromayan

OK, from the Spring Game, the OL was I think:
LT - Klock, Bryan
LG - Braun, Brown
C - Brigham, Muns
RG - Burden, Devine
RT - Joe, Stickler

So, with Griffin and Chamberlain (and Marshall) out, I kind of see what you're thinking, especially with Griffin out for the year.

Your take looks pretty good (though I'm not sure about Fromayan), but I think Burden was just playing guard because of the cast on his hand. I think we'll want him at Center

So, I can't make up my mind if I think they'll start Chamberlain at LT or LG, but I'll go ahead and predict the starting 5 as
LT - Klock
LG - Chamberlain
C - Burden
RG - Braun
RT - Joe

Last edited:

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
So, I can't make up my mind if I think they'll start Chamberlain at LT or LG, but I'll go ahead and predict the starting 5 as
LT - Klock
LG - Chamberlain
C - Burden
RG - Braun
RT - Joe
I liked what I saw from Klock. Also, I isolated on Brigham a few times and I think he has a chance to be good. If you would, I would like to hear from some of you who are more familiar with the center position.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Did anyone notice the AJC's photo album from last night? They kept referring to Marcus Allen in captions as a linebacker. I know they were just going off of the roster, but c'mon folks that's ridiculous. Also, somewhat off topic, but can CJ earn a medical RS now?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
LT - Klock, Bryan
LG - Braun, Brown
C - Brigham, Muns
RG - Burden, Devine
RT - Joe, Stickler

So, with Griffin and Chamberlain (and Marshall) out, I kind of see what you're thinking, especially with Griffin out for the year.

Your take looks pretty good (though I'm not sure about Fromayan), but I think Burden was just playing guard because of the cast on his hand. I think we'll want him at Center

LT - Klock
LG - Chamberlain
C - Burden
RG - Braun
RT - Joe

I like your prediction. I believe it gives us the best 5. Fromayan has played a lot in spots and I believe he is the third tackle in this lineup. Hopefully Stickler and/or Bryan will come around in the Fall. Is Andrew Marshall's injury a long term thing?

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I liked Burden at center, but it seems as though RG is always our strongest lineman. Wonder if it's the anchor for our offense.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Did anyone notice the AJC's photo album from last night? They kept referring to Marcus Allen in captions as a linebacker. I know they were just going off of the roster, but c'mon folks that's ridiculous. Also, somewhat off topic, but can CJ earn a medical RS now?
he can apply when he's used up his eligibility. Depends on the temperature of the group that decides that. He was hurt part of last year, so his chances are better than if he wasn't hurt last year.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Just to emphasize what has been stated earlier. The Gold offense, while able to move the ball somewhat in the 2nd half, was IMO dominated by the White defense.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Was it me or did it seem that Marcus was "slow" to get up after being tackled? Was he playing with a minor injury?

Maybe it was just my perception from a few different plays, but I made me concerned and wonder if he got dinged up in the first couple of series.

We all know we can't afford more injuries at B-back.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Was it me or did it seem that Marcus was "slow" to get up after being tackled? Was he playing with a minor injury?

Maybe it was just my perception from a few different plays, but I made me concerned and wonder if he got dinged up in the first couple of series.

We all know we can't afford more injuries at B-back.

Looked like he landed awkwardly and had to take a minute to get himself together.

Looked great afterwards though. Gotta like his potential going into the offseason knowing that he will likely play a major role at BB for us next season. Reminds me of the Synjyn situation. Sometimes people elevate their game when they know they will be "the man". Synjyn was a really good backup to Laskey, but when Laskey went down, Synjyn was a MONSTER at BB as the starter.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Is it me, or does Dennis Andrews look like his short space quickness and burst has improved? Almost didn't recognize who it was on his TD run.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was more impressed with Allen than I expected to be. From what I saw, he has all the B back tools. And that after only seven practices.

Both lines look bigger and thicker than in years past.

Jabari is a freak. He put on 60 pounds yet still looks like a linebacker and moves like a linebacker. He doesn't play low enough for an interior guy, but he more than makes up for it with his first step quickness. He will be a nightmare for offensive linemen this year. They will get no practice trying to block someone like him, 'cause there aren't any. It will be fun to see how many times he ends up in the backfield and blows things up. I'm guessing he will get more sacks than you expect from a DT too.

Terrel Lewis will be a starter some time in his career.

We have reloaded at A back. Willis, Searcy, and Lynch will supplement our returning two just fine.

I would love to be wrong, but I don't think Jordan will ever be an effective option quarterback. I don't think he is quick enough, and I'm not sure a thousand reps will fix that.