Georgia Tech Headed to the TaxSlayer Bowl

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
I think one thing going unnoticed about being in the TaxSlayer Bowl is the recruiting opportunity it provides us. The Jacksonville area has a ton of talent and we've been very good at pulling said talent from there.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Good thing we didn't finish higher in the Coastal, or we'd be headed for the damn Sun Bowl again. El Paso is no place to spend your New Year's Eve. Jax, here we come! Yeeehaawww!

Not sure it would have mattered. Those tier 1 bowls are all handled at the league office in terms of most frequent trip, matchups, team preference, etc.

Now before I say this, I'm extremely excited about the Gator Bowl (I'm not calling it Tax Slayer). At one point in the season I was a bit worried about becoming eligible, let alone landing in a solid Bowl like that...

...but what I find strange is how the Gator Bowl fell in prestige in the last 10 or so years. The Gator Bowl used to be the ACC's second selection. Now it's part of the tier 1 bowls that fall behind the Orange, Champs Sports, and (this year) Citrus. I guess it all comes down to money, but it's just strange to see a Bowl like that not maintain its status.

Sun Bowl is similar I guess...I mean that thing is one of the oldest Bowl games in existence.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Not sure it would have mattered. Those tier 1 bowls are all handled at the league office in terms of most frequent trip, matchups, team preference, etc. Even if we'd won the division it doesn't look like we'd have made the Champs or Citrus and would still have landed in tier 1.

Now before I say this, I'm extremely excited about the Gator Bowl (I'm not calling it Tax Slayer). At one point in the season I was a bit worried about becoming eligible, let alone landing in a solid Bowl like that...

...but what I find strange is how the Gator Bowl fell in prestige in the last 10 or so years. The Gator Bowl used to be the ACC's second selection. Now it's part of the tier 1 bowls that fall behind the Orange, Champs Sports, and (this year) Citrus. I guess it all comes down to money, but it's just strange to see a Bowl like that not maintain its status.

Sun Bowl is similar I guess...I mean that thing is one of the oldest Bowl games in existence

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
Not sure it would have mattered. Those tier 1 bowls are all handled at the league office in terms of most frequent trip, matchups, team preference, etc. Even if we'd won the division it doesn't look like we'd have made the Champs or Citrus and would still have landed in tier 1.

Sun Bowl is similar I guess...I mean that thing is one of the oldest Bowl games in existence
Yes, it is weird when old bowls fall and new bowls rise. I remember being befuddled by the rise of the Fiesta Bowl and the fall of the Cotton Bowl 20 years ago. But like any business or charity or other organization, the bowls are run by people who sometimes do a good job and sometimes do a bad job. If they do a bad job long enough (in sponsorship, and ticket sales, and match-ups, and whatever) they eventually fall down the pecking order (or disappear altogether). Still, for traditionalists like me, there's always something special about the 'old' bowls – the bowls that once didn't have commercial names.

Remember when the old bowls with traditional names would look down their noses at the new bowls with commercial names? The Gator Bowl used to make fun of the GoDaddy.com Bowl and so forth. Thank heavens the powers that be forced the Peach Bowl to go back to the Peach Bowl. I wish the other bowls would realize that de-commercializing their names might add more commercial value to the long-term viability of their bowls than selling out for the highest immediate pay-day.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
MSU said the same thing. You see how that worked. I'm not worried about our offense. Our defense, is the bigger question.

It's silly to say the layoff hasn't hurt us in the past, because it definitely has. But honestly, I think historically it has been due more to our timing getting thrown off than other teams having a month to prepare. Same reason that we tend to look sluggish at the beginning of the season and then much better in October.

I think with Justin this has been less of an issue. His athleticism doesn't go anywhere, so often times he'll just make us look better on offense than we are at any given time.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
UK averages giving up 225 RUSH YARDS PER GAME??

We need to get stats on what our opponents gave up to us vs. their rush defense average against everyone besides us.

We could see a Kansas-like performance on O...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I saw a lot of cautionary posts.......but there are those that think they are SEC so they are better than everyone else.
Well, there damn well better be. Tech's football traditions leave Kentucky in the ditch. They haven't played football there since somebody named Babe Parilli was a quarterback, then Bear Bryant lit out. Personally it kind of irritates me that somebody would be that patronizing. Bet it does Johnson, you think?