Georgia Tech Head Coach Hot List

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’m floored that the search so quiet.

Don't worry, it'll remain quiet until a candidate is put in front of the board and a donor doesn't like him. Then it will get leaked to blow the search up to get a donor favored candidate in the mix.

Happened during the HFB search a few months back. Will probably happen again because GT can't get out of our own way. Hopefully Batt learned the way the GT system works and gets it to finishing line without any interference.

slugboy

Staff member
Fleck's got back-to-back 9 win seasons at Minnesota, so I guess it works so far?

I'm not saying my personal opinion of personalities is the best proxy. I loved Boeheim and Pastner.
Pastner’s personality is great; his offense is a mess, though

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Whether firing Pastner is a mistake or not will be seen with who we hire. At the time firing Hewitt seemed like the long overdue obvious move. In hindsight we are probably worse off as a program for making it.

We may very well hire someone who takes the core that Pastner has put together, supplements with a couple key transfers, develops it, and has us back in the NCAAT 4 times in the next 5 years, and we're all looking back thanking the heavens we moved on

We may very well hire some unproven one year wonder as a head coach who is in over his head, loses key players to the portal, and has us floundering for the next 4 years while we wait to make another coaching change, looking back thinking maybe if we had kept Pastner he'd have been able to utilize the core he put together better and learned from the mistakes that led to the two year decline after the Jose and Moses teams.

Right now it's not an obvious mistake. I also don't think it's an obvious right call either.
What I should have said. As usual, I prefer to go with the horse that brung me, but that's as likely to be a mistake as not.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Dayton fans looking to unload Anthony Grant, perhaps we can get him cheap, like we got our last coach?
1678650194363.png

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Fleck's got back-to-back 9 win seasons at Minnesota, so I guess it works so far?

I'm not saying my personal opinion of personalities is the best proxy. I loved Boeheim and Pastner.
Fleck got hired before NIL was put in place. I am not saying weird guys cannot be successful. Even a weird guy like Fleck can work in this NIL environment if they have a repoir with fan base and have had some level of success. My concern is bringing in a weird dude who not only has the hurdle of trying to jump start the program, but also is trying to connect with our boosters who are persnickety when it comes to who they like enough to invest in the program.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t realize Furman runs an offense that resembles the Princeton. Virginia is going to eat that up with their pack line defense imo. Still would be thrilled with Bob Richey just thought it was interesting.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
About the Princeton Offense (stuff I didn't know):

From the article:
"The Princeton Offense will actually do MORE for your role players because it has the ability to “manufacture” shots that they cannot create on their own. So the advantage of running an offense like that versus one where you hide your role players is this. Now the defense has to stay honest and they cannot as easily target your best player with double teams and stopper defensive philosophies. I actually argue Princeton can actually “FREE” up your best player(s) rather than coup them up.

The Princeton Offense is designed to take the tension out of the game and to help even the playing field especially for the underdogs."

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t realize Furman runs an offense that resembles the Princeton. Virginia is going to eat that up with their pack line defense imo. Still would be thrilled with Bob Richey just thought it was interesting.
Firman will be comfortable playing at UVA’s pace. UVA is missing a key player.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
About the Princeton Offense (stuff I didn't know):

From the article:
"The Princeton Offense will actually do MORE for your role players because it has the ability to “manufacture” shots that they cannot create on their own. So the advantage of running an offense like that versus one where you hide your role players is this. Now the defense has to stay honest and they cannot as easily target your best player with double teams and stopper defensive philosophies. I actually argue Princeton can actually “FREE” up your best player(s) rather than coup them up.

The Princeton Offense is designed to take the tension out of the game and to help even the playing field especially for the underdogs."

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that the Princeton is what you run when you lack talent.

slugboy

Staff member
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that the Princeton is what you run when you lack talent.

We just ran the Princeton poorly. We also tried 4-out and 5-out, and ran those poorly. There are a lot of schemes that can relieve the pressure on your players to create their own shots.

Just because we didn’t execute them well doesn’t mean that they’re not wonderful to watch when played well.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We just ran the Princeton poorly. We also tried 4-out and 5-out, and ran those poorly. There are a lot of schemes that can relieve the pressure on your players to create their own shots.

Just because we didn’t execute them well doesn’t mean that they’re not wonderful to watch when played well.

To be clear, I was speaking of the offense in general not really commenting on how we ran it.

I would comment on how we ran it, but I heard a rumor the mods frown on using all the swear words in one post.