Georgia Tech Head Coach Hot List

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I find it very interesting that we don’t want to fish the Furman pond for the guy who wins tons of games but we are fine taking the KSU coach who has three total seasons and just one winning campaign. I mean the rebuild is impressive but Furman was a bad program prior to Niko Medved and Richey has sustained that high level during his tenure.
Not to mention, Richey was an assistant coach, recruiting coordinator and spearheading player development under Medved prior to his taking over at Furman in 2017. Medved's success was very much due to Richey's work there.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not advocating for him or against him, but what about that clip did you find offensive or unstable? I heard him call for leadership of all manners to be instruments of change after a tragic (and potentially avoidable) event occurred. I know, being from Connecticut and having small children at the time, it hit me right in the gut too.
My answer is in this thread.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Its pretty clear the problem against Kelsey isn't a basketball one, nor is it one that is likely to affect affect his basketball performance.
Didn't Pastner's off court entanglement with Ron Bell affect his basketball performance? Also, I am pretty sure he got a technical earlier this week for going after an opponent's assistant coach.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
One person I've only seen on one list is Mark Byington (https://www.coachesdatabase.com/lets-speculate-georgia-tech-head-basketball-coach-candidates/) . He was an assistant under Cremins at COC, taking over as interim when BC retired. I know he hasn't taken any of his teams to NCAA at this point, though he has improved them. Also has GA ties, as HC at GS. I do like most of the candidates I have seen mentioned overall. I feel we do best when we get coaches from smaller schools as BC from App St and PH from Sienna (taking us to FF and recruiting were awesome, obviously couldn't sustain). Though in last search I wanted Jeff Capel over JP.
JMU fans would tell you he's been solid but not great there. They have no offensive identity and rely on athleticism. We can do much better.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
O
Coaching candidates have become a rorschach test. You'll see what you want to see.

I just want to see wins and NCAATs. Whoever gets GT there is a good coach for me.

Agreed. It's like ice cream. All tastes differ, right? ;)

On a serious note, I hope they put us out of our collective miseries. Sadly, it's gonna likely be a few weeks into the tournament probably.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You said Kelsey's non basketball issues will not affect his basketball performance. I am merely pointing out an example where they did for our previous coach. The point is you do not know if it will affect his basketball performance.

His second guessing to take the Umass job isn't a continuing thing. And the one minute statement about the massacre of children isn't a problem. You have a problem with it, for whatever reason. That's a reflection on you not him.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
His second guessing to take the Umass job isn't a continuing thing. And the one minute statement about the massacre of children isn't a problem. You have a problem with it, for whatever reason. That's a reflection on you not him.
LOL!

I answered someone's question. My more detailed explanation above speaks for itself. If you have a problem with it, for whatever reason, then that is on you not me.

ebb1

Georgia Tech Fan
What about Mike Brey. According to the Athletic, he still wants to coach after stepping down from Norte Dame. Brey however, has made clear that he wants to coach again, and he doesn’t care whether it’s in a power conference or at an NAIA school. His only condition is that the school is located somewhere along the Atlantic coast.
He understands recruiting at a high academic school

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What about Mike Brey. According to the Athletic, he still wants to coach after stepping down from Norte Dame. Brey however, has made clear that he wants to coach again, and he doesn’t care whether it’s in a power conference or at an NAIA school. His only condition is that the school is located somewhere along the Atlantic coast.
There's some smoke he might be a Georgetown candidate

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Hard pass. His best days are in the rear view mirror

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I remember seeing or hearing somewhere he was one that didn't handle the NIL stuff as well as he could've. That puts him in the EZPass Lane for us despite being a good coach and all that.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
KQ did a Q&A last night. He's gonna have the best coverage on this search, imo.

Interesting listening to this, especially when it was mentioned that Charlton Young makes more than the entire assistant staff at GT.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
If GT can get the NIL together, it seems his recruiting ceiling is higher. I heard that he is the one to get Anthony Edwards to uga. If he actually did, that's quite impressive. He is more likely to get a Wheeler train rolling. Of course, who knows?
I think AAR's recruiting floor and ceiling are higher, but am not sure his ceiling is higher with regards to overall success of the program.