--- Belk: UVA
--- Music City/Gator: NC Sate
--- Sun: Miami
4. Military: VT
5. Independence: Georgia Tech
6. Quick Lane: Boston College
7. Heart of Dallas: Duke
8. Gasparilla Bowl: Wake Forest

Putting us behind 3 other teams that we beat and finished ahead of - that sounds about par for the course for these bowl committees.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Most bowls will take Miami over anyone else. Everything really just depends whether or not the Camping World Bowl wants Syracuse or NC State. If they take Syracuse, Pinstripe will likely want Pitt and Belk will likely want NC State. If they take NC State, Pinstripe will want Syracuse and everything else is up in the air.

Most bowls will take Miami over anyone else. Everything really just depends whether or not the Camping World Bowl wants Syracuse or NC State. If they take Syracuse, Pinstripe will likely want Pitt and Belk will likely want NC State. If they take NC State, Pinstripe will want Syracuse and everything else is up in the air.

Surely NC State will travel much better to FL than Cuse will.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Surely NC State will travel much better to FL than Cuse will.
A few thoughts going through my head on this choice:
  • I think more NC State fans would travel for sure by virtue of proximity and caring more about football.
  • I also think there's a possibility that there are more Syracuse fans already located in Florida (snowbirds/retirees).
  • It's unlikely the Camping World Bowl will have many opportunities to choose Syracuse in the future, if past performance is taken as an indicator of future success.
  • Add to it the fan excitement boost from Syracuse's season and a better national story, and it could be close enough for Camping World to choose the Orange.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Separately, it's crazy to think that if this was the 2017 or 2019 season, Syracuse would be going to the Orange Bowl as the highest rated ACC team behind Clemson. But the Orange Bowl is a CFP semifinal this year.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Do Miami fans actually travel well?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Do Miami fans actually travel well?
No but there's a decent amount of fans all over the country. Just some rough numbers below. Keep in mind bowl attendance on average has dropped for 7 consecutive years with the last 2-3 years dropping about 5% each.

Since 2013 (excluding last year’s Orange Bowl since it’s regularly attended well):

2016 Russell Athletic – 48,625 vs WVU (40,033 average other 3 years)
2015 Sun Bowl – 41,182 vs Wash State (44,446 average other 4 years, usually more to do with the Pac12 opponent I’d guess)
2014 Independence – 38,242 vs South Carolina (32,700 average other 4 years)
2013 Russell Athletic – 51,098 vs Louisville (same as 2016)

Deleted member 2897

No but there's a decent amount of fans all over the country. Just some rough numbers below. Keep in mind bowl attendance on average has dropped for 7 consecutive years with the last 2-3 years dropping about 5% each.

Since 2013 (excluding last year’s Orange Bowl since it’s regularly attended well):

2016 Russell Athletic – 48,625 vs WVU (40,033 average other 3 years)
2015 Sun Bowl – 41,182 vs Wash State (44,446 average other 4 years, usually more to do with the Pac12 opponent I’d guess)
2014 Independence – 38,242 vs South Carolina (32,700 average other 4 years)
2013 Russell Athletic – 51,098 vs Louisville (same as 2016)

To your point, we got made fun of for only having like 43,000 fans at the Gator Bowl in 2016 (60% of whom were from Kentucky). Last year was 2,000 fewer.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
There have been only five rematches in a bowl game in the last ten years, and a lot of those years the bowls didn't have as much leeway in who they could take. I really doubt we play USF.

Not only would it be a rematch, it would be in the same stadium and a home game, essentially for USF. No way this happens. If we fall that far, send us to Dallas or even Birmingham.