Georgia Tech Academia

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I absolutely am impressed with the attention given by both the current and previous staff in promoting academics with the players. This is something which should pay dividends with recruiting. High graduation rates among athletes should be a great selling point with recruits.

However, I have no doubt that Tech was much harder prior to my graduation in 79 than it was for me. Classes and labs on Saturday. Drown proofing.

And since my son is a recent graduate, I have no doubt he had it easier than I.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully they graduate but not on my screen....

If student athletes are treated solely as employees of a sports team, then colleges should not be involved in sports at all. Any college that isn't concerned about the academic achievement of their athletes shouldn't be involved in sports.

As a fan, wanting to win is expected. As a fan wanting the best players on the field is expected. However, as a fan of college athletics, expecting them to win on Saturday and not giving a damn about what happens to them off the field isn't acceptable.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
i haveno idea if they are processing students to easier degrees after they arrive.

i do know that presently a gpa 3.0 is not exceptional.

In 65 - it was sink or swim and getting on the deans list was tough. 3.2 was near top of BME in 69.

i have no doubt that once the shaft profs and poor teaching profs were moved to the side , grades and class learning went up.
In ‘75 the same thing was happening. 2.94 was about top 20% for BME. A**H*** static prof downgraded my all A testing including final, to a B because I didn’t show up in class enough. Kept me from graduating with the 3 pt that was my goal. I am almost over it

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I noted this in the Spring, but by simply changing our practice schedule to the morning has opened of recruiting pool up even more.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If student athletes are treated solely as employees of a sports team, then colleges should not be involved in sports at all. Any college that isn't concerned about the academic achievement of their athletes shouldn't be involved in sports.

As a fan, wanting to win is expected. As a fan wanting the best players on the field is expected. However, as a fan of college athletics, expecting them to win on Saturday and not giving a damn about what happens to them off the field isn't acceptable.

Hence the emphasis on AS LONG AS.

If “not giving a damn” about other things were evident the call for academic support, class time preferences, tutors, etc would not be present.

So if just expecting them to graduate (which is much more up to them than fans else they would not have been admitted) and not beat ugag isn’t acceptable.

Captn_65

GT Athlete
I can guarantee that the average student getting into Tech today is significantly smarter and further ahead than the average student admitted in 65.
Smarter ? Not really. In '65, we got an answer using reason by deduction. Answers to a problem requiring math were given with accompanying evidence written in long hand as to how you came to your conclusion. This evidence usually was done on a yellow legal pad and turned in with the quiz paper. Your thinking process was there for all to see.
Today, if the people that I hire can't find their hand held calculator or the electricity goes off, they're totally lost. Clueless. Can't think for themselves. No one taught them how to reason by deduction. That's why they need me. That's why I'm the boss . Now who's the smartest ?

Deleted member 2897

Smarter ? Not really. In '65, we got an answer using reason by deduction. Answers to a problem requiring math were given with accompanying evidence written in long hand as to how you came to your conclusion. This evidence usually was done on a yellow legal pad and turned in with the quiz paper. Your thinking process was there for all to see.
Today, if the people that I hire can't find their hand held calculator or the electricity goes off, they're totally lost. Clueless. Can't think for themselves. No one taught them how to reason by deduction. That's why they need me. That's why I'm the boss . Now who's the smartest ?

Have family friends of ours whose daughter went to Clemson for engineering. (I live in SC.) She was a great student in high school, in the robotics club, etc. Their daughter is on her third take of Calculus. Apparently you can take the tests over and over as much as you want, so most of the students don't prepare and just guess randomly and try to get lucky and get a good grade even if it takes 20 or 30 attempts. The few people who are actually studying and learning the material of course are doing fine. Its a strange new world we live in.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

Serious question. Do you think the average Alabama fan cares about Tua’s academics? I’m not saying that to make fun of ‘Bama fans or say we’re better than they are. Just curious what your opinion is on that. I happen to be someone who does give a damn about what happens to kids off the field so I agree that people should feel that way. I just have a hard time believing that the average fan of a factory school really does care (other than their favorite players staying eligible). Same goes for the average OSU fan and the academic status of Justin Fields or Oregon with their QB. And when I say average fan I’m generally referring to folks who are fans of their state school and love rooting for a winner. I think there are above average fans, though, who do care.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
OK boomer

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow

Good God, are you telling me that you may have learned more in the 50 years that I wasn't alive than I have learned in the 25 I have been alive? This really changes my world view, thank you for letting me in on the secret of more time equalling more opportunities for growth and knowledge. This is truly eye opening.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So because they weren’t taught the same methods you were, that are centered more on the time period and technology you would start your career in, and were instead taught with methods that would be more applicable to their lifetimes, that automatically makes you smarter? Smarter is a very broad term to use anyway. More knowledgeable about a certain task? Yes. Smarter? Debatable. Is a computer engineer smarter than you because they know how to write code and you don’t? Even if they can’t reason by deduction?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Every Calc and Diff Eq class I took at Tech was done the same way- a calculator wouldn't have been helpful even if you had one. If your so smart bossman, why do you keep hiring idiots?

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
3.0 is still pretty superlative.

My daughter got out 2 years ago. She went her first year somewhere else, and had a 4.0 in Chem, Bio, Physics, Calc, etc. Then, she came to Tech.

I told her coming in it is not like any other thing she'd ever done, and no matter how much I tried to prepare her, there would come a time when she would have to look in the mirror and decide if she was cut out for it or not.

Now, she says her job (with one of the most groundbreaking drug firms) is easy to compared to school. And, she says I was right - no matter how much I tried to prepare her, she had the moment when she had to decide if she was made for this or not - if she could do it, on her own - because no one else can do it for you.

Her grades recovered somewhat after her first year, but Tech is still a very, very, challenging academic environment.

And, like all of us I think, her most recurrent nightmare is that she overslept for an exam, and she wakes up running to class. She asked me a few weeks ago if I had ever had that one, and I told her I'm down to about every 7-10 days now, after being out for 30 years.

That place works you - there is no free ride at Georgia Tech.

i haveno idea if they are processing students to easier degrees after they arrive.

i do know that presently a gpa 3.0 is not exceptional.

In 65 - it was sink or swim and getting on the deans list was tough. 3.2 was near top of BME in 69.

i have no doubt that once the shaft profs and poor teaching profs were moved to the side , grades and class learning went up.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
3.0 is still pretty superlative.

My daughter got out 2 years ago. She went her first year somewhere else, and had a 4.0 in Chem, Bio, Physics, Calc, etc. Then, she came to Tech.

I told her coming in it is not like any other thing she'd ever done, and no matter how much I tried to prepare her, there would come a time when she would have to look in the mirror and decide if she was cut out for it or not.

Now, she says her job (with one of the most groundbreaking drug firms) is easy to compared to school. And, she says I was right - no matter how much I tried to prepare her, she had the moment when she had to decide if she was made for this or not - if she could do it, on her own - because no one else can do it for you.

Her grades recovered somewhat after her first year, but Tech is still a very, very, challenging academic environment.

And, like all of us I think, her most recurrent nightmare is that she overslept for an exam, and she wakes up running to class. She asked me a few weeks ago if I had ever had that one, and I told her I'm down to about every 7-10 days now, after being out for 30 years.

That place works you - there is no free ride at Georgia Tech.
I had those mirror moments quite often when I was at Tech. And I think my subconscious took the nightmares to the next level. I occasionally had dreams that not only had I missed a final but that I had forgotten I was enrolled in a particular class and missed the entire semester’s worth of lectures and assignments for that class. That was a fun one to wake up from.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
In my experience, most folks who actually graduated from UGa are decent folk. But the fans who never went to school there.....whew! Different breed!
I find this to be true of most schools that are called "University of state name goes here". They tend to attract the bottom of the barrel that can just say they are cheering for their state and want to be part of the biggest pack. And yeah....I wish Tech had more non alumni fans (I'm one) but Tech is not going to attract the kind of people that are drawn to UGa as non alumni.

Poodlehead

Georgia Tech Fan
Yep, it's been 40 years and I still occasionally have one of those dreams. One involves walking into a class where the prof is handing out a quiz that I am
not prepared for. In another, it's near midterms and I still haven't been able to find where any of my classes meet. I think we may all be suffering from a
mild form of PTSD.