Georgia Tech Academia

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Tori McElhaney is doing a great job for us in The Athletic. She just published a 2 part series on Georgia Tech's Academia with football. For subscribers, link is: https://theathletic.com/1331113/201...tech-academia-part-1-a-coachs-accountability/
It is very refreshing to see the effort CGC and staff are bringing to this part of our SA's life. It really makes me believe even more that CGC is the real deal for us. Worth the subscription price alone.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Tori McElhaney is doing a great job for us in The Athletic. She just published a 2 part series on Georgia Tech's Academia with football. For subscribers, link is: https://theathletic.com/1331113/201...tech-academia-part-1-a-coachs-accountability/
It is very refreshing to see the effort CGC and staff are bringing to this part of our SA's life. It really makes me believe even more that CGC is the real deal for us. Worth the subscription price alone.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Was just coming over here to post about this. She does a great job representing us.

Also hope the knuckleheads giving her grief about being a dwag give it a rest. She has done great work and is obviously writing objectively (if not frankly low key supportively) about us. No negative bias shows up in her work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don't see why anybody with half a brain that reads her writings could hold her studying journalism at UGA against her. All dwags are not bad people, just those who act like dwags.

I mean where else are you going to study journalism in the state anyway?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The old days of its hard to get out of gt are over.
97% of freshman return for soph year.
Regular students get tutoring.
We graduate football players at a rate of almost 90%

Collins has continued our academic support for athletes but has changed it from a program to a culture.

The era of making fun of the "just got off of his job at WALMART type uga fan" is over.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The old days of its hard to get out of gt are over.
97% of freshman return for soph year.
Regular students get tutoring.
We graduate football players at a rate of almost 90%

Collins has continued our academic support for athletes but has changed it from a program to a culture.

The era of making fun of the "just got off of his job at WALMART type uga fan" is over.
I think this is true, but I'd add these points.

True, like almost every other post-secondary institution, graduation and retention rates at Tech have gone up. That doesn't mean it has gotten easier to get into and out of Tech. If experience elsewhere is any gage, this is probably (I don't know for sure) due to several things:

• My guess is that Tech is a lot more careful about how they let in these days. Schools try really, really hard to, as our admissions guy said once, "… not let in problems." The idea is that if you work at it you will recruit and admit students who want to learn and live at a place like yours. Hence, they will be happy in their work and stick around. The last is goal number 1 for all colleges.

• My guess is that Tech is using advising extensively. Better then half the battle in retaining students is to get them into courses and majors where they succeed. This has been the rule for football programs everywhere for awhile, even before the new NCAA regs. Now it extends to as many students as can be dragged, kicking and screaming, into advising sessions.

• My guess is that Tech is doing research on a regular basis to identify courses that have a high "D/F/WF" rate and work to change them or provide extra aid to their students.

And all that leads to a school where it is easier to stick, even if the standards don't take any sort of hit at all. That Collins has embraced this is a good thing, but my guess is that his major job was to integrate his efforts with the ones the school already had in place and to promote them to the hilt. That isn't easy.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think this is true, but I'd add these points.

True, like almost every other post-secondary institution, graduation and retention rates at Tech have gone up. That doesn't mean it has gotten easier to get into and out of Tech. If experience elsewhere is any gage, this is probably (I don't know for sure) due to several things:

• My guess is that Tech is a lot more careful about how they let in these days. Schools try really, really hard to, as our admissions guy said once, "… not let in problems." The idea is that if you work at it you will recruit and admit students who want to learn and live at a place like yours. Hence, they will be happy in their work and stick around. The last is goal number 1 for all colleges.

• My guess is that Tech is using advising extensively. Better then half the battle in retaining students is to get them into courses and majors where they succeed. This has been the rule for football programs everywhere for awhile, even before the new NCAA regs. Now it extends to as many students as can be dragged, kicking and screaming, into advising sessions.

• My guess is that Tech is doing research on a regular basis to identify courses that have a high "D/F/WF" rate and work to change them or provide extra aid to their students.

And all that leads to a school where it is easier to stick, even if the standards don't take any sort of hit at all. That Collins has embraced this is a good thing, but my guess is that his major job was to integrate his efforts with the ones the school already had in place and to promote them to the hilt. That isn't easy.

i haveno idea if they are processing students to easier degrees after they arrive.

i do know that presently a gpa 3.0 is not exceptional.

In 65 - it was sink or swim and getting on the deans list was tough. 3.2 was near top of BME in 69.

i have no doubt that once the shaft profs and poor teaching profs were moved to the side , grades and class learning went up.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
i haveno idea if they are processing students to easier degrees after they arrive.

In 65 - it was sink or swim and getting on the deans list was tough. 3.2 was near top of BME in 69.

i have no doubt that once the shaft profs and poor teaching profs were moved to the side , grades and class learning went up.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

I can guarantee that the average student getting into Tech today is significantly smarter and further ahead than the average student admitted in 65.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Tales of Georgia Tech academia, Part 2: Football, academics working hand-in-hand
https://theathletic.com/1333642/201...s-working-hand-in-hand/?source=shared-article

This article on Jaylen King is great. King is studying civil engineering while being a full time football player. Student Athletes is what separates GT from the other schools.

This is great work.

Waaay to broad a statement.

And i will have the courage to say this - what i expect out of GT athletes is to beat ugag.

Hopefully they graduate but not on my screen AS LONG AS they are given every chance to take the classes needed to graduate and are given all the support needed to do so.
.At that point it is uo to them.