Georgia Tech Academia

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Serious question. Do you think the average Alabama fan cares about Tua’s academics? I’m not saying that to make fun of ‘Bama fans or say we’re better than they are. Just curious what your opinion is on that. I happen to be someone who does give a damn about what happens to kids off the field so I agree that people should feel that way. I just have a hard time believing that the average fan of a factory school really does care (other than their favorite players staying eligible). Same goes for the average OSU fan and the academic status of Justin Fields or Oregon with their QB. And when I say average fan I’m generally referring to folks who are fans of their state school and love rooting for a winner. I think there are above average fans, though, who do care.

I don't have a clue about the average Alabama fan. I would say that there are far too many fans that look at NCAA athletics as professional minor league teams. I would say that there are Alabama fans who don't even really realize that the Alabama football team represents the University of Alabama. I believe there are also Alabama fans who are concerned about the players as people.

It isn't limited to SEC schools. I have seen posts by and talked to GT fans who seem to feel that way. I have spoken to people about high school football who seem to be more interested in the football team than about the high school kids who play.

Football is a sport. To me football is entertainment. I want the players and coaches to be focused and to concentrate on winning. However, I realize that there are many things in life that are more important than my entertainment. God, family, friends, health, a stable prosperous future(to a college student), ... There are limits and responsibilities(i.e. friends doesn't mean not attending practice because a football player wants to spend time with friends playing XBox) However, in context all of those things should be more important to everyone.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I had those mirror moments quite often when I was at Tech. And I think my subconscious took the nightmares to the next level. I occasionally had dreams that not only had I missed a final but that I had forgotten I was enrolled in a particular class and missed the entire semester’s worth of lectures and assignments for that class. That was a fun one to wake up from.

Wow. I thought I was the only one that had this dream. 41 years old, and feels like I still have this one once a week. I hate it. It’s such a terrible feeling to wake up to.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I had those mirror moments quite often when I was at Tech. And I think my subconscious took the nightmares to the next level. I occasionally had dreams that not only had I missed a final but that I had forgotten I was enrolled in a particular class and missed the entire semester’s worth of lectures and assignments for that class. That was a fun one to wake up from.
Yep, I have had both of those dreams many times as well. I have also had a recurrent dream where I missed a random grad requirement like an extra two hours of humanites and had to take an extra semester because the job I had lined up rescinded their offer when I didn't graduate. Whew. :facepalm:

Animal02

Banned
I don't have a clue about the average Alabama fan. I would say that there are far too many fans that look at NCAA athletics as professional minor league teams. I would say that there are Alabama fans who don't even really realize that the Alabama football team represents the University of Alabama. I believe there are also Alabama fans who are concerned about the players as people.

It isn't limited to SEC schools. I have seen posts by and talked to GT fans who seem to feel that way. I have spoken to people about high school football who seem to be more interested in the football team than about the high school kids who play.

Football is a sport. To me football is entertainment. I want the players and coaches to be focused and to concentrate on winning. However, I realize that there are many things in life that are more important than my entertainment. God, family, friends, health, a stable prosperous future(to a college student), ... There are limits and responsibilities(i.e. friends doesn't mean not attending practice because a football player wants to spend time with friends playing XBox) However, in context all of those things should be more important to everyone.
Little hick town / county I grew up in (Western PA.) That was definitely true about high school sports. They even have a website devoured to H.S.sports in the county.

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
Smarter ? Not really. In '65, we got an answer using reason by deduction. Answers to a problem requiring math were given with accompanying evidence written in long hand as to how you came to your conclusion. This evidence usually was done on a yellow legal pad and turned in with the quiz paper. Your thinking process was there for all to see.
Today, if the people that I hire can't find their hand held calculator or the electricity goes off, they're totally lost. Clueless. Can't think for themselves. No one taught them how to reason by deduction. That's why they need me. That's why I'm the boss . Now who's the smartest ?

Look we’re all Tech Men and Women. I got out in 2000 BSME. Tech kicked my *** day in and day out. We hire lots of Tech grads at our company. Brilliant kids and the 22-25 year olds I work with and talk to got their asses handed to them just like I did. Tech was and still is a brutal grind only the toughest folks out there can handle. Let’s not try to berate any of our Brethren Based on when they got out.

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow. I thought I was the only one that had this dream. 41 years old, and feels like I still have this one once a week. I hate it. It’s such a terrible feeling to wake up to.

Me too! Jeez I was telling someone this exact same thing a week ago. I’m 44 and every other month I’ll have that dream “I forgot I signed up for that class and now it’s time for the final!”

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep, it's been 40 years and I still occasionally have one of those dreams. One involves walking into a class where the prof is handing out a quiz that I am
not prepared for. In another, it's near midterms and I still haven't been able to find where any of my classes meet. I think we may all be suffering from a
mild form of PTSD.

I have this nightmare about once or twice a year. Like you, it's walking into an exam when I had not prepared at all OR it's finding out that I have not done any homework or attended classes and it's past the drop date. I really need to seek therapy...

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
I have this nightmare about once or twice a year. Like you, it's walking into an exam when I had not prepared at all OR it's finding out that I have not done any homework or attended classes and it's past the drop date. I really need to seek therapy...
I'll have to pile on and say I still have this dream as well even at 58 years old. I wonder what a dream analyst would have to say about these dreams? Fear of losing control?

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep, it's been 40 years and I still occasionally have one of those dreams. One involves walking into a class where the prof is handing out a quiz that I am
not prepared for. In another, it's near midterms and I still haven't been able to find where any of my classes meet. I think we may all be suffering from a
mild form of PTSD.

PTSD - Post Tech Stress Disorder

ibeatterus, you beat me to it

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

My question wasn’t specific to Alabama fans. That’s why I included other fan bases when mentioned OSU and Oregon. I was pointing out that it is [insert college football team here] and not just Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
My question wasn’t specific to Alabama fans. That’s why I included other fan bases when mentioned OSU and Oregon. I was pointing out that it is [insert college football team here] and not just Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think what you see on Twitter and forums isn't a good representation of average fans. That is why I said I don't have a clue. That extends to other schools in general. Twitter, other social media, blogs, etc tend to highlight the most provocative people/posts. What can be seen are the most skewed viewpoints. I think, or least hope, that most people are more reasonable than what is seen on Twitter, Deadspin, and even ESPN.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I wish GT had more non-alum fans. We need them.
Speak of the Devil... I am one although my dad went to Tech and I grew up going to Tech games. If we were to start winning again, I think you would see more non alumni fans aka sidewalk fans show up at Tech games as a low cost alternative to the Falcons. Maybe, maybe not but we will see.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The old days of its hard to get out of gt are over.
97% of freshman return for soph year.
Regular students get tutoring.
We graduate football players at a rate of almost 90%

Collins has continued our academic support for athletes but has changed it from a program to a culture.

The era of making fun of the "just got off of his job at WALMART type uga fan" is over.

A young man in our church was a TA at Tech after he graduated for two years while he got his masters degree. He told me that students entering Tech today are better prepared, especially in math, than those of just a generation ago. Further, he said that there is so much help available that it is the student's responsibility to get the help he/she needs to be successful so that there is no excuse. He did offer one caveat before taking off for a lucrative job with Microsoft last year, foreign students, particularly those from China, are at a major disadvantage because of language difficulties. He estimated that most of those that he assisted that failed the class were Chinese. May be an overgeneralization but he was convinced that this was a significant causation.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Serious question. Do you think the average Alabama fan cares about Tua’s academics? I’m not saying that to make fun of ‘Bama fans or say we’re better than they are. Just curious what your opinion is on that. I happen to be someone who does give a damn about what happens to kids off the field so I agree that people should feel that way. I just have a hard time believing that the average fan of a factory school really does care (other than their favorite players staying eligible). Same goes for the average OSU fan and the academic status of Justin Fields or Oregon with their QB. And when I say average fan I’m generally referring to folks who are fans of their state school and love rooting for a winner. I think there are above average fans, though, who do care.

Beats me but the Alabama fans who are my in laws could care less about the players' academics or anything else as long as they beat Auburn. Why not? The players are already getting money from bag men, cars or trucks from well heeled alumni. The factories are de facto minor league professional proving grounds for the NFL. Nothing more, nothing less.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
PTSD - Post Tech Stress Disorder

ibeatterus, you beat me to it

I have all these dreams, still after age 49. Finals for classes I didn’t realize I had signed up for. Midterms that I suddenly realized is happening and I am just waking up. Running across campus in my underwear trying to make it on time.

Every now and then I will wake up screaming “But please, Dr. Rentzepis....!!!!” Then I stop, realize I graduated many years ago, smile in relief, and go back to sleep.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
We all have them (the same nightmares) - my years at GT were the most stressful of my life (with the significant exception of losing a child), and I would think that was true with a lot of GT grads. All of my jobs have paled in comparison to the difficulty and the stress from the Institute.

Last edited: