Georgia Postgame

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
JeT was awesome and gave us two wins over UGA including an Orange Bowl. Pantheon level QB.

It was also a friendly comment from an opposing fan in a game that turned into a rout.
Don’t forget Butker. Wouldn't have happened with what we have now.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Pretty much everything about the Tech game-day experience is embarrassing, and this has nothing to do with Collins or the players. TStan needs to address the obvious problems we have

The ineptness of the Jumbotron THWG message from CTC and CNF where the audio and video aren't synced is a complete embarrassment and ought to be ditched.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Realistically, Tech-Georgia isn’t really a “rivalry game” anymore in the sense that either team could win despite their records coming in. We are more like an FCS cake-walk for Georgia as they await the SEC Championship game each year.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
The ineptness of the Jumbotron THWG message from CTC and CNF where the audio and video aren't synced is a complete embarrassment and ought to be ditched.

Having a "Yellow Jackets" cheer about 10 seconds after the resounding UGA chants wasnt any better

Especially when the east stands had about a couple hundred Tech fans at best to tell "Yellow"

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Only other thing I really have to say is that since I'm out of town i was listening to the game on xm, which happen to be the uga radio call. Even their announcers talked about how much of an offensive transition this was, the walk ons, and the sheer size difference of their guys vs ours. But that Collins was on.the righh track culture wise, as Kirby preached that too
But yet we have people that still think we can compete at their level currently

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Well you know what they say; the will of the people on a message board know better than the guys that have done it, or actually do it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
All I want to see in these first 2 years is signs of improvement, and, other than the D, that has only been marginal at best this year.

There has been little to no improvement on Defense this year. In fact, we are statistically worse than almost every defense fielded under CPJ.

The O leaving our D out to dry probably had a lot to do with that.

slugboy

Staff member
The most disappointing thing to me today would be if Demetrius Knight is lost to a serious injury. He is the type of athlete we need at LB, and he gained valuable experience this year. To miss the offseason would reset his clock.

Has there been any updated news on Knight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
You don't have the number 1 defense in the country with bad coaching.
Clemson has the #1 defense and actually has an offense to go with it.
Georgia has good defense, offense is horrible. So yeah ugag has some bad coaching not to mention the # of times not so smart has ****ed up in big games.
With the talent ugag has there are many coaches that would've won a few nattys.

There has been little to no improvement on Defense this year. In fact, we are statistically worse than almost every defense fielded under CPJ.

Other than actual tackling, which has sucked for like forever, I personally thought the D showed SIGNS of improvement last year under Woody, and SIGNS or improvement this year as well. But yes, you are right about the O leaving the D out to dry having a lot to do with it. First half, I though we played ok D; second half, they just got worn down.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer

Sure about that ? I feel like we're getting more turnovers, strips, and just better overall tackling
Than previous years. The score doesn't reflect that because the offense hasnt really given the d any sort of rest period.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
This is where so many people get frustrated. On one hand he's got to transform an entire roster but on the other hand he always calls our guys elite. Which is it?

And while no coach should ever pay too much attention to the fans, ignoring them completely is a surefire way to get canned in a hurry.

So how would one expect CGC to describe his current roster without totally alienating fans, players, potential recruits and their mamas? The lack of fan objectivity regarding the state of our football team is laughable.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm old :) 2014 is too recent

To be fair, the Van Gorder year is the year I referenced when I said 2014 wasn't the biggest transition away from the option that GSU went through.

To go off a bit on a tangent, I think a lot of people tend to think GSU went something like Johnson - Van Gorder - Monken.

They didn't. After Johnson left they stuck with the option with Mike Sewak. He had some success but was a clear step down, and when they came to that conclusion they reached the conclusion that if they didn't have Johnson the option wasn't going to be the great weapon that it was otherwise. That's why they switched away. They went with Van Gorder and he struggled mightily for many of the same reasons we are now. But in addition to struggling on the field he also messed with a lot of the traditions that GSU had which made fans that much angrier at him, to the point they would boo his children at their athletic events. It led to him resigning, not being fired. However, they didn't go right back to the option. They went with Hatcher who stepped up to 7-4 the second year away from the option. Realistically if Van Gorder doesn't resign after year 1 his year 2 is probably a lot better than year 1 because the transition is a huge thing whether people want to admit it or not. Anyways, Hatcher stagnated, less because of the transition and more because that's just the level of coach he was. GSU then returned to the option with Monken who had success but he was more of a return to Sewak than he was a return to Johnson. They were good, but not competing for national championships at that level good. That, along with Sewak the first time, is why GSU decided against going for another Johnson disciple when Monken left and instead went for Fritz who ran something fairly close, but more importantly had a head coaching resume to back up.

Now why they went with Summer is anyone's guess. That hire made no sense but the admin completely bungled everything about that, but that's a different topic.

Anyways, long story short. 2014 GSU wasn't nearly as big a transition which shouldn't be a surprise since it was a main goal of the hire. Otherwise, the thing to take away from GSU is that Johnson assistants could have some success but were never ever able to come close to doing what Johnson was able to there. That is something people need to keep in mind when they say Monken should have been hired.