Georgia - COFH Baseball

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
My simple mind thinks UGA (after going 2-0 this weekend) has very little incentive to complete the suspended game. Ga Tech needs that W way more than UGA does now.

Completing the game will add 5 innings (minimum) & a 'travel' day for them during a week (later in year) when they are into their SEC schedule. Getting a 3rd win against Ga Tech helps them a nominal amount (big picture).

Likewise, Ga Tech's odds of winning it are very low (not zero... but low). They'd also have to add 5 innings to a week during ACC play. Not really worth it.

I just don't think either teams wants to finish it at this point.
Per the AJC, UGA is furious the game was stopped 3 outs from being complete and is willing to come to Atlanta any weekday this season they don’t have a game to finish it.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Per the AJC, UGA is furious the game was stopped 3 outs from being complete and is willing to come to Atlanta any weekday this season they don’t have a game to finish it.
Good for them. I hate UGA with the same passion as most of y’all (I am imagining), but I don’t blame them one bit. They came over and kicked our butts in adverse conditions and now they need to take what they earned. Plus, if they are a bubble team, a road win against us will probably be helpful, especially if we end up as a quad two team. I think this might be the first time in my life I have ever had any empathy for a UGA athletic team. Either I’m getting old and soft or maybe I’ll just blame it on CDH driving me to this sorry state, lol.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I haven't posted during or since the Sunday game. Went to a play Sunday and then a bar and watched the score and lead slip away.

I don't think it is fair to blame Hall for the particular loss, it was a collapse of pitching on the third game of a series where we had to burn more pitchers in the Friday suspended game. I still wish Hall had left 10 years ago and this season is just SSDY so far. Maybe post-Hall we won't do as well recruiting or getting guys drafted when Hall is gone. So what, I want to see Georgia Tech play better. At least we' may play to our talent level. Our collapse in a big series is Hall's MO. Sure he has the most wins of any active coach; mostly due to length of time in the job, weak opponents and great talent coming in. Hard to say he has out coached anyone with comparable talent in decades.

As I've said before, I think our team is better this year but so are others. The difference between teams is culture or intensity or desire or whatever and Hall doesn't inculcate that. The common narrative is that uGag isn't that good this year and we'll see a lot better teams. I that is likely to be true and the people who make those judgements are generally right (75% of the time?).

But it's baseball so who knows. This year's team is clearly on the same course as last years. At least there are lots of other forms of entertainment; GT baseball just isn't as compelling to me any more.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
It was stupid to start the Friday game anyway. It rained hard from 8/9:00 past 5 straight thru. Even if you had IF covered the OF had to be a mess.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It was stupid to start the Friday game anyway. It rained hard from 8/9:00 past 5 straight thru. Even if you had IF covered the OF had to be a mess.

But we did start and should have the honor to finish the game IMHO. I hate uGag and recognize the transactional stupidity of completing the game (Warren Nolan gives us an 8% chance to win), but we should take our medicine. It's just a game and how we play it shows who we are.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I haven't posted during or since the Sunday game. Went to a play Sunday and then a bar and watched the score and lead slip away.

I don't think it is fair to blame Hall for the particular loss, it was a collapse of pitching on the third game of a series where we had to burn more pitchers in the Friday suspended game. I still wish Hall had left 10 years ago and this season is just SSDY so far. Maybe post-Hall we won't do as well recruiting or getting guys drafted when Hall is gone. So what, I want to see Georgia Tech play better. At least we' may play to our talent level. Our collapse in a big series is Hall's MO. Sure he has the most wins of any active coach; mostly due to length of time in the job, weak opponents and great talent coming in. Hard to say he has out coached anyone with comparable talent in decades.

As I've said before, I think our team is better this year but so are others. The difference between teams is culture or intensity or desire or whatever and Hall doesn't inculcate that. The common narrative is that uGag isn't that good this year and we'll see a lot better teams. I that is likely to be true and the people who make those judgements are generally right (75% of the time?).

But it's baseball so who knows. This year's team is clearly on the same course as last years. At least there are lots of other forms of entertainment; GT baseball just isn't as compelling to me any more.
The main disagreement I had with CDH on Sunday is that I believe he pulled Ben King too quickly. I understand it is not good at all to walk the leadoff hitter in a inning in which you have a 6 run lead, but to me King is one of the top 2 bullpen arms and for him to be pulled after one mistake with 9 outs still to get, coupled with knowing that Cam Jones had pitched in the Saturday game and apparently Terry Busse not being an option, to me that was not a wise move. Unless their is something wrong with King, in which case this is a bigger deal than losing the one game.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
But we did start and should have the honor to finish the game IMHO. I hate uGag and recognize the transactional stupidity of completing the game (Warren Nolan gives us an 8% chance to win), but we should take our medicine. It's just a game and how we play it shows who we are.

Yea I wasn't disagreeing that we need to finish it. Just stupid decision making before hand.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
^^^^^^ THIS

Well said, Nuke.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO, if UGA wants to complete the game, GT should make every effort to accommodate them. Fair is fair and we need to show some class. This weekend was a disaster in several different ways.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m saying it now - there is no way our recruiting drops off at all after Hall leaves. He is a dinosaur. 15 - 18 year old high school kids see him and think of grandpa. If anything, our recruiting will increase because the next guy won’t have a lifetime contract and will actually have to hustle. Ramsey would immediately increase our recruiting and image to high schoolers. I still can’t understand how GT has allowed an average coach to stay a lifetime while we ran Gailey and Johnson off who were way better coaches than he is.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
IMO, if UGA wants to complete the game, GT should make every effort to accommodate them. Fair is fair and we need to show some class. This weekend was a disaster in several different ways.
Showing class to the dwags is like showing air to a deep sea angler fish. Totally alien to everything in their experience.

But I agree we should show some class to the rest of the world, who are mentally equipped to understand it.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Elephant in the room: 6-8 pitchers left including Busse and we call on Cam Jones who pitched the day before for an 8 out save? At what point does this pitching improve to at minimum to a top 50-75 ranked staff? The UGA series was supposed to be a resume builder and an RPI booster. I don’t think we win 11 ACC games this year. Good teams don’t lose the game we lost on Sunday. Good teams know how to finish and win. Are we good?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Elephant in the room: 6-8 pitchers left including Busse and we call on Cam Jones who pitched the day before for an 8 out save? At what point does this pitching improve to at minimum to a top 50-75 ranked staff? The UGA series was supposed to be a resume builder and an RPI booster. I don’t think we win 11 ACC games this year. Good teams don’t lose the game we lost on Sunday. Good teams know how to finish and win. Are we good?
Agree with everything you say. Boy... I "hope" we manage more than .333 winning % in the ACC, but hope is all I got.

There were not high expectations for this year's squad from prognosticators. At this point, it is playing out that way.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

UGAg is a pretty heavy hitting team. I chalk it up to GT sports having collective anal spasms when they play the mutts. Put it behind and move on. I can’t let them live in my head.