Georgia - COFH Baseball

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The Bulldogs are next.

GaTech 7-1
UGA 8-1 (Lost to Mich St last night... 7 inning "mercy rule" beat down)

-Neither squad picked by D1 Baseball (preseason) to make the field of 64 come June.
-Neither team has played an above average team yet this year.
-Only common opponent is Ga State. Both teams scored double digits & shut Ga State out.
-Weather isn't great. We'll see if they get all 3 games in... & what that ends up looking like

**HUGE series with long term implications for both teams' RPI calculations & (by extension) their post season resumes**

Fri at Ga Tech 6pm
Sat at UGA 2pm
Sun Coolray Field 3pm

GO JACKETS!!
TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Piss on them!

Warren Nolan predicted results below (they will eventually be right). Lots of scoring. Makes sense if you believe their RPI is about 58 and ours is about 109. Which makes sense is you think they have played slightly better competition than we have.

None of which matters when we start playing. I hope we bring our A game to every game this weekend. This is the start of the regular season! Not clear whether Yunger or Geisler will be back, Hall made (surprisingly - tic) non-committal comments after the Ga State game.

1709206539192.png

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems likely that the Friday game will get rained out. Does anyone know if they'd try to reschedule that (maybe as an early Saturday game)? I can't imagine the Tech athletic department would be thrilled about playing a road game in Athens without a home game in return, but there may not be much they can do about it.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
If Friday does get rained out, the schools are so close geographically, I don't see why they couldn't play Saturday afternoon at Tech then hop in their respective busses and play an evening game in Athens. I think it would make a great storyline plus it would give the players a few hours between games when they could grab a bite to eat and rest up a bit. I don't see any chance in hell that Hall would give up his home game to play a doubleheader in Athens. Seriously, how hard would it be to make that happen.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Why wouldn't we just make up the game midweek?
Presumably the midweek schedule for the two teams is already full. I don't have our schedule memorized and don't feel like looking it up, but I don't think there are any weeks where we don't have a mid-week game already scheduled. The same would be true for UGa.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Why not a double header at Cool Ray field

Makes sense
I considered this. My guess is that the Stripers or whomever oversees the maintenance of Coolray would want some considerations for making their stadium available for a double dip instead of a single game. Additionally, that is a Sunday game and if my memory is correct teams rarely play Sunday doubleheaders. But neither team would have to travel far, so that could be an option. My money is still on a Saturday DH in Athens with us getting last AB in one of the games, but I'm far from certain on that.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I just watched the local weather on WSB, and their forecast gave the possibility that the rain would move through in the AM and early afternoon and may clear out by tomorrow evening. Perhaps we may be able to get the game in with just a bit of a delay. The temps will not be nice, but it may be dry enough.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just watched the local weather on WSB, and their forecast gave the possibility that the rain would move through in the AM and early afternoon and may clear out by tomorrow evening. Perhaps we may be able to get the game in with just a bit of a delay. The temps will not be nice, but it may be dry enough.

Doubtful. 45 F rain much more likely from a minute ago.

IIWII. Sweeping uGag with 2 @uGag will help RPI. Go for it.

1709246279819.png

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Nuke, I've been thinking the same. We've noted that our schedule will not lead to a strong RPI if coupled with just a .500 ACC record. Playing two games in Athens won't solve the problem, but it will help,.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here are the stats from RamblinWreck Game Notes. uGag hitting better than we are. But ...... our ERA is better than theirs? What universe are we living in?

If we can get twice through their order with only a run or two to start, I like our chances. We'll find out soon.

View attachment 15823

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I bet it's a venue thing. Never been to Coolray but it may be logistically difficult to set up the TV infrastructure in March (ie. no baseball going on since last summer). ... but I really have no clue.
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought Coolray games have been televised in the past.

Edit: looks like SEC Network televised it in '23. Here's a snip from ramblinwreck.com

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240229-193157.png
    Screenshot_20240229-193157.png
    94 KB · Views: 5