Geoff Collins worst GT coach of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’d say over 50% of us. But a few vocals shut every one down.
Not sure it was 50%.

My guess is that those of us who suspected he was a fraud was about 30-40%, and of those, 80-90% were older alums.

I do think there was another 15-20% that probably had a little bit of anxiety about his personality & quirks but believed he could actually do the big boy thing at GT, because that’s what they want to believe.

I’m hoping we never go through this “recruiting fan boy” experiment again at GT. Recruiting will always be important to compete, but at GT, the only STEM school outside of the Academies, player development and smart, disciplined coaching will always be even more important.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Not sure it was 50%.

My guess is that those of us who suspected he was a fraud was about 30-40%, and of those, 80-90% were older alums.

I do think there was another 15-20% that probably had a little bit of anxiety about his personality & quirks but believed he could actually do the big boy thing at GT, because that’s what they want to believe.

I’m hoping we never go through this “recruiting fan boy” experiment again at GT. Recruiting will always be important to compete, but at GT, the only STEM school outside of the Academies, player development and smart, disciplined coaching will always be even more important.
He seemed like a fraud to me, but it also seemed his schtick was popular with the players, so I went along for the ride in the beginning.
Lots of us older guys did. A common comment was, "Well, if the players respond to it who am I to complain?" I guess the enthusiasm was just on the surface.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
He seemed like a fraud to me, but it also seemed his schtick was popular with the players, so I went along for the ride in the beginning.
Lots of us older guys did. A common comment was, "Well, if the players respond to it who am I to complain?" I guess the enthusiasm was just on the surface.
I know this isn’t what you are saying, but just as a follow up.

Being popular to the players, at GT especially, should never be the goal. Being respected should be the goal.

If we recruit players that see GT as a destination school, that is great, but I thought having a coach that wanted to be their “buddy” was kind of creepy & affected our performance it appeared.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
For those who are hearing impaired, what are they saying?
I hope this comment does not lead to a large political rabbit hole, it is meant to be satirical and not political at all.

They are shouting: Let's Go Rawlings!!!!!

Somebody needs to get some tshirts printed with a shadow-outline of the student section and "Let's Go Rawlings!!!!" for everyone to wear at the game.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Incidentally, where does the Minister of Mayhem rank as worst HC of all time (non GT category) ? I know there have been worse, but I've never paid as much attention to someone as incompetent as GC5.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope this comment does not lead to a large political rabbit hole, it is meant to be satirical and not political at all.

They are shouting: Let's Go Rawlings!!!!!

Somebody needs to get some tshirts printed with a shadow-outline of the student section and "Let's Go Rawlings!!!!" for everyone to wear at the game.

why? dude got fired, in case you missed it. for the guy with the other similar phrase, he still has his job, so it still has relevance.

yoshiki2

Georgia Tech Fan
Not sure it was 50%.

I'd say we need an arts section, to make it easier on recruiting.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
He without doubt in my mind was the worst, somebody had to get us through the biggest transition I've ever watched GTFB have to go through and I've been watching a long time, I'm real old :). BL was the next worse but not by much, at least BL left us with a little better roster to work with simply because he was trying to run something similar to what the next coach would do. CPJ's was so radically different that so many of the players were just going to have a hard time fitting going fwd. Not a knock on the players or CPJ. I enjoyed watching the TO CPJ style.

Status
Not open for further replies.