Geoff Collins worst GT coach of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
NO ONE has more connected, insider, historical GTFB memory than AugustaBuzz.... He is the Godfather of commenters on the Swarm..... When he and I disagree about who-what-where-when relative to GT football, I know I am wrong........
I smell a sucker bet coming down the road.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
I do like Key's demeanor on the sideline. Very even keel. Got his guys believing in themselves. Hope no serious injuries. Walton would be a big loss.
I believe he defended an end zone pass on Duke’s last TD drive. I moved to the front row of the student section during OT. After the FG miss, he jumped up in the stands similar to when the packers players score a TD. He wasn’t in any pain then!

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I'm just baffled that a head coach was so detrimental to every facet of the game. Everything else is the same; players, coaches, etc and it's undeniable we're much better than we were 2 weeks ago. Sure Key could be the next John Heisman and we just hit the lottery but I can't believe that either. Couldn't be happier about the results so far

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm just baffled that a head coach was so detrimental to every facet of the game. Everything else is the same; players, coaches, etc and it's undeniable we're much better than we were 2 weeks ago. Sure Key could be the next John Heisman and we just hit the lottery but I can't believe that either. Couldn't be happier about the results so far

Sounds like there was a lot of micromanaging going on to the point where coaches couldn't fully do what they needed to and it showed on Saturdays. Hearing things like not practicing in full pads, not going full speed, no starters vs starters to help players adjust to the speed of the game. Key made a point that kind of practicing affected the OLs a lot. That's just what's been made public. I'm sure we'll start hearing more as time goes on, but the difference in how all 3 phases (offense, defense, special teams) has been pretty apparent in just 2 games. Now the coaches and players will have almost 2 weeks to rest and get more practice time under Key's management.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like there was a lot of micromanaging going on to the point where coaches couldn't fully do what they needed to and it showed on Saturdays. Hearing things like not practicing in full pads, not going full speed, no starters vs starters to help players adjust to the speed of the game. Key made a point that kind of practicing affected the OLs a lot. That's just what's been made public. I'm sure we'll start hearing more as time goes on, but the difference in how all 3 phases (offense, defense, special teams) has been pretty apparent in just 2 games. Now the coaches and players will have almost 2 weeks to rest and get more practice time under Key's management.
There is no doubt the previous guy was high energy and believed in what he was doing so it’s easy to believe he had his fingerprints over every facet of this team. There is also no doubt this high energy and belief was simply pointed in the wrong direction and caused paralysis after the positive results did not appear. What we see now is a team with self imposed paralysis coming alive. The stories we will hear over the next few years about this error, I mean era, will be interesting and leave us all shaking our heads.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I can’t believe how many didn’t see GIF for what he was from the first presser. It was apparent to me from day 1.
Me too but I was willing to wait and see results. I knew we were in big trouble after year 2. I feel the same now with Key. Show me what you got. He deserves a chance if the team continues to improve with more wins. He will likely be a HC somewhere next year. So far I like what I am seeing.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I can’t believe how many didn’t see GIF for what he was from the first presser. It was apparent to me from day 1.
I kept overriding every instinct I normally have about people. All the red warning lights and alarms kept screaming and I kept shutting them down thinking maybe somebody else knew something I didn’t. It was hard week after week and year after year to have my normal instincts confirmed but trying to be supportive of the program.

Let’s don’t ever hire anyone like that again.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
On the bright side for Geoff, he can spend a lot more time at the Waffle House. He can eat elite hash browns with maximum intensity.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What baffles me more than anything is how we could be so bad defensively while Geoff was here, given his success as DC at Miss. St. and Florida. We blamed it on Thacker, but when he left the defense suddenly started playing well. Reminds me of a song:

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
When Collins first arrived, I thought he was going to be a needed breath of fresh air. I like the TO when it is really clicking (yeah, it's fun to watch those old highlight reels on YouTube). But I had concerns that CPJ wasn't able to (or interested in) recruiting the talent we really needed. Collins seemed to bring a younger man's approach to everything, etc. I have no problem with the 404, the ATL...even the Waffle House schtick is just a quirk I can live with if we're winning. (pumping iron on the sidelines...not so much)

However, it seems that basic coaching skills and team discipline were seriously lacking. CBK seems to the the polar opposite of that, and we're seeing the team rise to that challenge very quickly. If he/we can succeed at recruiting, I'd be all for retaining him as HC.

With a three-year deal. Four tops. Renewable if we bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.