Geoff Collins worst GT coach of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The man was so bad in so many important ways. A micromanager, a poor organizer, slipshod at preparation - in Texas, we’d call him all hat and no cattle. He took cheap shots at his predecessor early on, and he’s taken cheap shots at the student body now that he’s gone. What kind of man blames a bunch of college kids for his own shortcomings? What kind of people does he think we are, that we would not recognize him for the guttersnipe he truly is? The North Stands had it right.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I'm not convinced Geoff tried his best all the way through.
He made millions more getting fired before the end of year 4 than he would have had he made it through the season. We'll never know, but just sayin'...
I think he did try his best for the first three years. I am pretty sure he could see the end coming, knew the coaching changes to start year 4 were a Hail Mary that wouldn't work for him, and at that point he was mailing it in. I say that because even in those first few games you could see that there was reason to think some of the coaching changes on defense were having an impact. But overall the team wasn't any better until he was out of the building.

But really that's all just my opinion and not worth more than anyone else's. I honestly do believe the above to be the case but if others disagree that's totally cool and I respect that.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Maybe he’s there to show them what NOT to do…
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

He may not think that's why he's there, but people showing up should be looking at it that way :ROFLMAO:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I consider this conversation similar to the Jack vs Tiger or Wilt vs Russell discussion. Each candidate will have his or her ardent supporters that can make a compelling case for their man. It may never be settled to everyone’s satisfaction. But notice the list of GOATs ( or anti- Goats in this case) is whittled down quickly to just a very few names. I still think Lewis gets my vote in this case but I am not angered by those that choose differently.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I imagine, unlike the collective on this site, Brent Key is not obsessed with TFG and he takes up zero space in Brent's thoughts.

You all need to move on. He is no longer our coach.
BK needs to be ready to adjust his game plan during games. So far he is being applauded because his actions make sense and he following a failure. Every coach is undefeated in preseason. So far , key seems to be getting ready for crunch time.

TFG - was incapable of resisting adding new wrinkles. He actually believed the wrinkles on wrinkles on wrinkles were not working so he adddd more wrinkles.

He actually would run get the ball for line judge when it was near the gt sideline.
No matter that he recruited Gibbs, that was the end for me .

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I imagine, unlike the collective on this site, Brent Key is not obsessed with TFG and he takes up zero space in Brent's thoughts.

You all need to move on. He is no longer our coach.
I've moved on, thank you. But I have little doubt Brent took note how not to do things.

JacketFan137

Banned
bill lewis took a team with players that played on a national championship roster and promptly turned it into a cellar dweller. without recency bias it’s pretty clearly bill lewis for me although it was before my time. we were just kinda middle of the road when collins took over and i think our trajectory was pretty much a flat line. had we been decent with bill lewis following a championship we really could have parlayed that into a lot of growth for the program.

still pretty close but lewis is still pretty clearly worse

JacketFan137

Banned
That's one way of looking at it, but also Ross took a team capable of winning every game and proceeded to lose 5 before he bolted to the Chargers. That's a huge drop off in 1 year.
yeah but it still had a lot of players from that team. i only have stats to go by because i wasn’t born yet, so i could totally be wrong, but statistically we had a pretty tough looking schedule. 4 of our losses finished the season ranked and only the south carolina loss was really unexplainable. 3 of those losses were also within 1 score

we were probably one of the top 30 or so teams in the country. if one or two bounces go different that might be a 10 win team and i don’t think that was the case with the last few johnson teams. just looking at resumes the last ross team was a better team

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
bill lewis took a team with players that played on a national championship roster and promptly turned it into a cellar dweller. without recency bias it’s pretty clearly bill lewis for me although it was before my time. we were just kinda middle of the road when collins took over and i think our trajectory was pretty much a flat line. had we been decent with bill lewis following a championship we really could have parlayed that into a lot of growth for the program.

still pretty close but lewis is still pretty clearly worse

Collins was worse. It was embarrassing watching the crap he was doing. Wasn’t just losing but it was a circus out of control, pathetic
This is like two people duking it out arguing which was worse between Jersey Shore and Keeping up with the Kardashians. They were both awful in their own ways and as far as I'm concerned they can be 1A and 1B on the GT Football coaches suckitude list.

Status
Not open for further replies.