Geoff Collins - Head Coaching Numbers

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Overall Record: 17-16

Record vs Teams with winning record: 6-14 {Wins: Navy (7-6), FIU (8-5), Cincy (11-2), Houston (8-5), USF (7-6), and Miami (5-4)}

Record vs Teams with losing record: 11 – 2 {Losses: UCONN (3-9) and Villanova (5-6)}

Record vs Teams with 9 or more wins: 1-7 (Includes 2019 Clemson)

Total Record of teams that Collins’ teams beat: 75 – 114 (.399 winning percentage)

upload_2019-11-6_17-25-12.png

Home Record: 8 - 8

Away Record: 8 - 8

Bowl Record: 1-0

Record vs Top 25: 1-5 {Win: Cincinnati (2018)}

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Do you ever post anything positive about the new staff, or will you, ever?
How is posting statistics without commenting or mentioning anything about them positive or negative. Saying "the sky is blue at noon" does not state my preference for the sky's color at other times of day. It also shows the coach has a winning record, so I don't even know if this is necessarily bad anyways. He can't control his schedule, so who cares what his opponent win% is.

It's his third year as a head coach, so your numbers are meaningless and Paul Johnson was 2-10 his first year at Navy which also proved nothing. So just stop with this.
Paul Johnson was a head coach prior to coaching Navy, so I think you are off base here. He also didn't mention CPJ, you did. There was no reason to even bring CPJ into the conversation.

People are really sensitive these days on the forums. I can't wait for us to start winning so posters stop taking offense to every post (and it goes both ways).

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Certainly context is needed, he didn’t walk into an easy situation here (based on the direction the AD wanted to take the program). But damn there’s some serious backlash for a guy posting stats without commentary. Maybe i don’t know the content of his past posts well enough that’s causing this response. But y’all are inferring a lot of negativity from a neutral post. Seems like there’s some projecting happening here.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
How is posting statistics without commenting or mentioning anything about them positive or negative. Saying "the sky is blue at noon" does not state my preference for the sky's color at other times of day. It also shows the coach has a winning record, so I don't even know if this is necessarily bad anyways. He can't control his schedule, so who cares what his opponent win% is.

Paul Johnson was a head coach prior to coaching Navy, so I think you are off base here. He also didn't mention CPJ, you did. There was no reason to even bring CPJ into the conversation.

People are really sensitive these days on the forums. I can't wait for us to start winning so posters stop taking offense to every post (and it goes both ways).
When all he does is run down the new staff consistently in every thread he posts in, it's a safe assumption that he means this thread to be a negative against the staff.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I find it odd that (presumably) grown men are desperate for affirmation on their opinion of a goddamn football coach, one way or the other. Who cares whether it creates division or not among the 100 people or so who post here regularly? Unity is overrated anyway.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
When all he does is run down the new staff consistently in every thread he posts in, it's a safe assumption that he means this thread to be a negative against the staff.
I have no idea who he is as a poster, and honestly, I try to give any poster the benefit of the doubt anyways. I'm not going to begin dissecting and reading into posts. I'm also the guy who posts FEI/PPD data every week, so I'm probably a bit biased towards enjoying straight data posts.

What I’m taking away - in his entire career he’s never lost a single bowl game. Thanks for sharing!
And 1-0 against teams with 11+ wins.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Overall Record: 17-16

Record vs Teams with winning record: 6-14 {Wins: Navy (7-6), FIU (8-5), Cincy (11-2), Houston (8-5), USF (7-6), and Miami (5-4)}

Record vs Teams with losing record: 11 – 2 {Losses: UCONN (3-9) and Villanova (5-6)}

Record vs Teams with 9 or more wins: 1-7 (Includes 2019 Clemson)

Total Record of teams that Collins’ teams beat: 75 – 114 (.399 winning percentage)

View attachment 7135

Home Record: 8 - 8

Away Record: 8 - 8

Bowl Record: 1-0

Record vs Top 25: 1-5 {Win: Cincinnati (2018)}

The number that counts is 7 as in 7 year contract. He may be good, he may be bad, he may be mediocre, he may have a heart attack tomorrow but Collins, unlike some, wanted this job, lobbied for this job and now its his. I want him to succeed because he is a Georgia boy who grew up a Tech fan and NOBODY can sell the Institute like this guy. Let's see what he does and be patient. I am not happy at losing to the Citadel, I am not happy about the zone read that is a clogged toilet, and I am not happy at winning only two games but my happiness is secondary to the future success of this football program. IIWII (attributed to Coach Paul Johnson, noted philosopher)

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Another Coach

Overall Record through 3 full years of Head Coaching: 12-21

Home Record: 11-10
Away Record: 1-12

Wins over ranked opponents: 2

Bowl appearances: ZERO

Who is that coach? Bobby Ross through his first 3 years at GT

True, but no one in their right mind would have thought Bobby Ross to be anything less than a top tier coach. It was only a matter of time until Coach Ross got things turned around.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Certainly context is needed, he didn’t walk into an easy situation here (based on the direction the AD wanted to take the program). But damn there’s some serious backlash for a guy posting stats without commentary. Maybe i don’t know the content of his past posts well enough that’s causing this response. But y’all are inferring a lot of negativity from a neutral post. Seems like there’s some projecting happening here.

I certainly took the OPs post history into account. We are all capable of looking up CGC's record. Most of us know it off the top of our heads. Is there any non-trolling reason to create a whole thread about it? Is any new and relevant discussion of GT football likely to come from it? I personally dont see it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It's his third year as a head coach, so your numbers are meaningless and Paul Johnson was 2-10 his first year at Navy which also proved nothing. So just stop with this.

When Spurrier was coach at Florida for a few years, may have been after his first SEC championship, he was asked what he learned at Duke and applied it to Florida. He thought for a second and then in typical "Head Ball Coach" smart aleck style said: "I learned that the people in the cheap seats are not who I need to be going to for advice on running a football team" Not an exact quote but it being Coach Collins third year as the HBC, he probably has some growing and learning to do himself. One mild criticism, from the cheapest of the cheap seats mind you, is that I pray he knows when to prune the bushes and get rid of under performing assistants. A difficult thing to do but necessary sometimes. Coach Dodd once said that the single hardest thing he ever had to do as a coach was to let go of two assistants that the game had simply passed them by. Their replacements were Frank Broyles and Ray Graves. Getting the right assistants is critical. It was then and 60 years later it is now.

Animal02

Banned
The number that counts is 7 as in 7 year contract. He may be good, he may be bad, he may be mediocre, he may have a heart attack tomorrow but Collins, unlike some, wanted this job, lobbied for this job and now its his. I want him to succeed because he is a Georgia boy who grew up a Tech fan and NOBODY can sell the Institute like this guy. Let's see what he does and be patient. I am not happy at losing to the Citadel, I am not happy about the zone read that is a clogged toilet, and I am not happy at winning only two games but my happiness is secondary to the future success of this football program. IIWII (attributed to Coach Paul Johnson, noted philosopher)
Wanting a job does not mean you will be good at it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Wanting a job does not mean you will be good at it.

Give it time but that is a very real possibility. We just don' t know if his all in on changing the culture and recruiting will pay dividends or if it will prove to be smoke and mirrors burning away like fog on a south Georgia morning. Even if the recruiting is tremendously improved there is still the question of player development and on field coaching. We will see but I do not think it is fair to judge him by this year or even next year. Poor Willie T didn't even get that long. "Poor"? Heavens, the man is making out like a bandit with a multi million dollar buyout.

Animal02

Banned
Give it time but that is a very real possibility. We just don' t know if his all in on changing the culture and recruiting will pay dividends or if it will prove to be smoke and mirrors burning away like fog on a south Georgia morning. Even if the recruiting is tremendously improved there is still the question of player development and on field coaching. We will see but I do not think it is fair to judge him by this year or even next year. Poor Willie T didn't even get that long. "Poor"? Heavens, the man is making out like a bandit with a multi million dollar buyout.
I would not have nearly the problem with Collins had he been given a normal contract based on his HC experience and accomplishments, not come into town with his passive aggressive down talk of the previous regime, actually accomplished something before piling high the BS hype, not lied about simple things, not acted like everything every other coach in the country does is some sort of special thing he invented or thought of.