leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
This may be helpful.

DPP is Director of Player Personnel.

Knight was also Defensive Recruiting Coordinator

Turner was also Assistant Head Coach and Run Defense Coordinator

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Going to be interesting to see who Key brings in and how quickly the new hires are in place. I had previously thought the defensive staff was staying intact but I suppose private conversations have happened since. Goes to show that Key isnā€™t afraid of shaking things up or terminating people. Are either of these coaches that have been let go due compensation for their current contracts?
I also wonder if Key will retain our DC Thacker? Does this have an impact on the remains defensive recruiting targets for this year?
Also interesting to see Zeek Biggers comment publicly on Twitter in reaction to Keyā€™s decision to terminate these coaches. Biggers replied ā€œsmh!!!ā€ Wonder if Biggers enters the portal or receives a visit from Key for voicing his concerns publicly. Probably better to have those conversations privately.

Last edited:

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Going to be interesting to see who Key brings in and how quickly the new hires are in place. I had previously thought the defensive staff was staying intact but I suppose private conversations have happened since. Goes to show that Key isnā€™t afraid of shaking things up or terminating people. Are either of these coaches that have been let go due compensation for their current contracts?
1672854237670.gif

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I thought both did a bang up job the back half of the season. The defense was working well. If I were in Keyā€™s shoes, I would only make a change for a clear and obvious upgrade

I thought the DL played above their recruiting grade...which to me signals the coaches were doing their job. We just need more bodies at DT.

As you said, if there's a clear upgrade, than you can't argue with that. Especially if the new coach is high in development AND recruiting. Key is making some Saban type moves...if I can get someone better than you, good luck...

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I thought the DL played above their recruiting grade...which to me signals the coaches were doing their job. We just need more bodies at DT.

As you said, if there's a clear upgrade, than you can't argue with that. Especially if the new coach is high in development AND recruiting. Key is making some Saban type moves...if I can get someone better than you, good luck...
I agree to an extent.

A lot of the improved production came from White who was an excellent player prior to transferring to Tech. While there was some good play on the DL besides White, it was not so good as to suggest that they were playing that much above their recruiting grade.

I do think Key has identified someone(s?) who he feels is clearly better. Otherwise, I doubt he would make this move.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm a bit shocked to see this news - like many of us, I thought most of the D was solid in the back half of the year.

So I agree - all these factors and Kelly's tweet lead me to think this may be an upgrade. And if that's the case, I'm back to being anxious (and also excited) again. Dammit. This entire offseason is like my kids waiting on Christmas. And this thread just keeps on going... :)