General News about Key and his Staff

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Soooo, what does this mean for Weinke and the QB coach situation?

Georgia has some of the best TEs in the nation, and they are the primary focus in their gameplan. Just about everything GA does is designed to open up holes for their TEs to find space. As far as I can tell Faulkner has pretty much always specialized in QBs and hasn’t ever really worked with TEs as a group. Maybe he picked up a lot under Monken about how to properly prep TEs and will be named TE coach as well. Otherwise we have 2 people who specialize in the same thing and not really anything else. And if Faulkner is going to be solely OC without a positional group, I feel like we’re wasting a spot on the staff.
Faukner is the TE coach as well.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I’ll give him benefit of the doubt but I’m pretty lukewarm about this hire
lukewarm? Let's look at this from another perspective, he has a wife and 3 kids that is a total of 4 more fans at Bobby Dodd Stadium now we are up to 35,104, And he is from Lilburn Georgia he got to have at least 5 friends so if they come to the games, we are at 35,109.
And the important thing he has hair.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
What is funny is all these hire a crapshoot. So folks who say this is a no exciting hire then I say ok. Who would be an exciting hire? I watched perhaps the greatest offensive college mind I’ve ever seen coach at South Carolina and then with the Redskins and if you didn’t see his Florida days you would have said he was not exciting. Faulkner could be the next Spurrier for all we know. I’m just glad and thankful that GT did not do the retread thing. We have a young staff who has shown willingness to work but were jus5 handcuffed by that other guy. I’m excited to see what these young guys can do. It may take a season or two to show recruits we are an option for them but I believe we could be building a true foundation after the fake foundation of the previous guy.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Soooo, what does this mean for Weinke and the QB coach situation?

Georgia has some of the best TEs in the nation, and they are the primary focus in their gameplan. Just about everything GA does is designed to open up holes for their TEs to find space. As far as I can tell Faulkner has pretty much always specialized in QBs and hasn’t ever really worked with TEs as a group. Maybe he picked up a lot under Monken about how to properly prep TEs and
Well let's look at it this, at uga he helped the QB not Monken. And work it. And is not idea a good idea for the OC to worry about calling the plays and have Weinke work with the QB.
And CBK is smart and I'm sure this has been worked out. All we need to do is just buy tickets and show up ( drink beer and cheer)

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Thoughts on the Geep Wade hire?

Other than hoping it's not pronounced 'Jeep'..

AppSt board seems mixed. Some say good riddance. Others say, if he was so "bad", why're 2 of their OL named 1st team all conference and 1 named 3rd team? Seem to be including TE in that.

Apps issues were not on their offensive line this year. It was moslty defensive secondary and their receivers have hands that were just for decoration.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Apps issues were not on their offensive line this year. It was moslty defensive secondary and their receivers have hands that were just for decoration.

Completely unfair assessment, sir. Those receivers have hands for more than mere decorations.

Ann Reinking Jazz Hands GIF by YoungArts

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Interviewing prospective defensive coordinators, interesting.
I don’t think it’s that crazy. I’m sure Key has kept Thacker in the loop. I would assume it’s something along the lines of “I’m going to interview around to see what’s there but it’s still your job.” Even Key had to interview to keep his job so should Thacker. I do believe Key will only pull the trigger on someone else if he thinks they are a clear and immediate upgrade.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I can do this if not I'm sorry but drunk anyway. here are a little of what uga fans think' ( did not use their names who said it)

Good news is we can still hire him away if / when Monk leaves.

Great hire by the nerds. They be on to something with Key

Good hire by those guys.

Definitely a good hire there. I liked what I saw from GT down the stretch under Key. Going to be fascinating what they do in the transfer portal this offseason
Terrible news… Tech just got a lot better. Way better than the Auburn hires.

I'd rather see Buster on the flats than on the plains..

Those damn nerds

Big Loss…. Damn

Worst case, we hire Garrett Riley or another elite OC if Monken leaves. Best case, Monken retires here. Realistic case, Monken stays for a few more seasons, we hire Faulkner away from Tech after he’s got some more OC experience under his belt. Honestly, think Faulkner leaving hurts us of course but the offense for the foreseeable future is on an upward trajectory

GT is going to get good under Key. They may not be a gimme much longer.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think it’s that crazy. I’m sure Key has kept Thacker in the loop. I would assume it’s something along the lines of “I’m going to interview around to see what’s there but it’s still your job.” Even Key had to interview to keep his job so should Thacker. I do believe Key will only pull the trigger on someone else if he thinks they are a clear and immediate upgrade.
And I'm trusting Key has done it that way, which is a good way to go.

However, I'm also hoping we don't wind up in another scenario like we did with Charles Kelly, where FSU came and made him an offer he couldn't refuse while we were trying to scare up the money to keep him. In this case, the money's there - hopefully it wouldn't be about Thacker taking a sure thing that's on the table versus waiting around for us to make up our minds.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
If we really wanted to change the program, then Deion was the hire. Guessing it was money but also GT doesn’t like those kind of perceived risks or anything that appears to disrupt its culture so we’re back to square one and will be fighting for 7 wins per year. Since that’s the course we decided, I support Brent Key.