General News about Key and his Staff

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess Rod's having a tough time generating clicks these days. I'm not sure who "they" is, but I've got a very graphic suggestion for what Rod can do with his opinion...

View attachment 13783

Have you been paying attention to this board? There's been a lot of people very unsure of these hires. And this place is calmer than others (i.e Twitter, other GT forums)

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Dwag fans are idiots and a their opinions are a terrible way to gauge anything. No indirect disrespect to you by insulting the company you choose to keep. 😜
While I agree with you, this dawg fan is a good friend and he is reasonable. Maybe the only dawg fan that I talk college football with year round and don’t want to kill.

He is well aware of my hate though lol

slugboy

Staff member
Ehh maybe, was I the only one that didnt like uga’s offense this year? I mean, that is in Monken rather than Faulkner but I am just saying. I hope he brings very little from what I saw at uga on offense’s to Tech.
For a team that’s loaded with players, I think they have some interesting wrinkles. They could be plain and still get tons of points , but they seem varied and not totally predictable.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Dwag fans are idiots and a their opinions are a terrible way to gauge anything. No indirect disrespect to you by insulting the company you choose to keep. 😜
I wish I had a team of their quality to cheer for. They may be just as you say, but their team is wonderful.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My buddy is a dwag fan. He says dwag fans are pissed because Faulkner was supposed to be the next OC after Monken leaves.

If they're mad then it's a good hire. Can't wait to see how we look next season

:unsure:

....And obviously, Monken’s done good work with Stetson Bennett, Georgia’s freakish young tight ends; and his players, guys like George Pickens and James Cook, have shown readiness for the pros. So I’d think there’ll at least be some NFL teams curious about him, and my understanding is Monken will be ready to listen to them after the College Football Playoff.

slugboy

Staff member
I see them as fourth, not sure what you are seeing. Not that fourth is anything to sneeze at.
You’re right.
They’re #1 overall, #1 defense (by a lot), and #4 offense behind Tennessee, Southern Cal, and Ohio State.
I think they could have been more brutal on offense if they’d wanted it, but that’s just my opinion

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I can do this if not I'm sorry but drunk anyway. here are a little of what uga fans think' ( did not use their names who said it)

Good news is we can still hire him away if / when Monk leaves.

Great hire by the nerds. They be on to something with Key

Good hire by those guys.

Definitely a good hire there. I liked what I saw from GT down the stretch under Key. Going to be fascinating what they do in the transfer portal this offseason
Terrible news… Tech just got a lot better. Way better than the Auburn hires.

I'd rather see Buster on the flats than on the plains..

Those damn nerds

Big Loss…. Damn

Worst case, we hire Garrett Riley or another elite OC if Monken leaves. Best case, Monken retires here. Realistic case, Monken stays for a few more seasons, we hire Faulkner away from Tech after he’s got some more OC experience under his belt. Honestly, think Faulkner leaving hurts us of course but the offense for the foreseeable future is on an upward trajectory

GT is going to get good under Key. They may not be a gimme much longer.
-1 for knowing so many dwags, otherwise, good commentary. 😉

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Another perspective with a deep dive into the stats at each of Faulkner's OC stops. Kinda like me with my OFEI analysis...not overly impressed with the hire, but taking a wait and see approach.

The writer does make an interesting point:

I’m also concerned that Key seemingly has money to work with, more money than any coach in Georgia Tech history, and he is still not making bigger name hires. There was a coach with significant experience as a Power 5 offensive coordinator in the ACC, and by all reports, I don’t see where any contact was even made. I believe that the best thing a first-year head coach can do is surround himself with experienced coaches, and Key has yet to do that.

IF IF IF best case scenario is what he did at MTSU with an OFEI in the 60's, and combine it with Thacker's improving defense (OFEI in the 30-40's)...I think GT is easily bowling next year at minimum. Pyron should be excited. QBs have done well under Faulkner and put up good numbers.

I think the automatic reaction is hoping GT vaults out of obscurity with these hires, but change is often slow, especially for a program like GT. Getting us to a bowl game will be a big step forward. Once we get there we can worry about ACC and National Championships. :)

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Looney Tunes Oops GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem
I don't know them that was off their board. I don't talk to uga fans
Mea culpa

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Another perspective with a deep dive into the stats at each of Faulkner's OC stops. Kinda like me with my OFEI analysis...not overly impressed with the hire, but taking a wait and see approach.

The writer does make an interesting point:

I’m also concerned that Key seemingly has money to work with, more money than any coach in Georgia Tech history, and he is still not making bigger name hires. There was a coach with significant experience as a Power 5 offensive coordinator in the ACC, and by all reports, I don’t see where any contact was even made. I believe that the best thing a first-year head coach can do is surround himself with experienced coaches, and Key has yet to do that.

IF IF IF best case scenario is what he did at MTSU with an OFEI in the 60's, and combine it with Thacker's improving defense (OFEI in the 30-40's)...I think GT is easily bowling next year at minimum. Pyron should be excited. QBs have done well under Faulkner and put up good numbers.

I think the automatic reaction is hoping GT vaults out of obscurity with these hires, but change is often slow, especially for a program like GT. Getting us to a bowl game will be a big step forward. Once we get there we can worry about ACC and National Championships. :)
A few things/questions:

These FEI numbers, they're produced by a coach and his players. How good were the personnel he had to work with?

Also, they're determined by strength of schedule in some way, right? So, a team in a lower division is not going to score as high as one in an upper division, even if they have the same offensive output - is that right? For instance, if Arkansas and Arkansas State put up the same numbers, are they going to have the same OFEI? Are we really comparing apples to apples here?

And in addition, just sayin' but he's had three years working with Monken after these numbers were turned in and presumably learned a thing or two.

And lastly, hopefully the reason Key didn't interview anybody is because he had his man all the way from the git-go.

I'd like to hear your perspective on these issues. Pardon my dumb questions/comments.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
These FEI numbers, they're produced by a coach and his players. How good were the personnel he had to work with?

Also, they're determined by strength of schedule in some way, right? So, a team in a lower division is not going to score as high as one in an upper division, even if they have the same offensive output - is that right? For instance, if Arkansas and Arkansas State put up the same numbers, are they going to have the same OFEI? Are we really comparing apples to apples here?
And this is the problem with OFEI. Compensation for SOS is a trick. If you compare a “lower level” team to a “higher level” team, how can you penalize the lower level team for playing lower level talent? Unless you also compensate for the lower level talent on both teams? At which point compensation is almost a moot point. . .