General News about Key and his Staff

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Furman Bisher called them "the hanging jury in the West Stands". My parents and I sat in the middle of them and they were hard to please. This one guy in front of us was typical. That old geezer had to be 75 if he was a day (or about 8 years older than I am now but I digress) Tech would have the ball, might even score...not a sound out of him. Then, when Tech was on defense, the other team makes a first down and boy howdy would he get agitated. He would start muttering: "Where are you at, Tech?" I thought it was funny, unless they scored then it wasn't funny.
Decades ago, I was invited to a game against Tennessee. We were told the seats in the west stands were compliments of Charlie Brown, same as the airport.
At one point during the game I disagreed with the referee. Quite vocally but no profanity.
My buddy told me to calm down. We would be asked to leave if I couldn’t maintain proper decorum. Sitting in the student section was a lot more fun.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Upper East rocks!
Upper North has some good fans, but unfortunately not many. I sit in 218 and if someone in 211 sneezes, we all say “bless you “, and we can hear the “ thank you “ reply.

Back to the topic, I’m hoping the OC is announced at the CBK press conference next week. There are 4-5 that have been mentioned that I could get excited about, but I’ll get behind whoever is eventually named.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Upper North has some good fans, but unfortunately not many. I sit in 218 and if someone in 211 sneezes, we all say “bless you “, and we can hear the “ thank you “ reply.

Back to the topic, I’m hoping the OC is announced at the CBK press conference next week. There are 4-5 that have been mentioned that I could get excited about, but I’ll get behind whoever is eventually named.
Yep, I haven't been to a game in 3 yrs and probably won't until things pick up. (I'm out of town though)

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
First year of season tix for me was '87. I thought, I'll mingle with the big wigs in the lower west. One season of sitting among those zombies was more than enough. I moved my seat to UE never to return to the West Stands.
Let's not get carried away here. Why, once I was at a game against Tulane in the early 1960s and Tech was tied with the Green Wave going into the second quarter and Dodd elects to kick on third down. This guy behind us explodes "Damn you Dodd, for kicking on third down" Asks I, "Daddy why is that man so upset?" Replies Pop: "He was probably drunk enough or dumb enough to bet on Tech with a two touchdown spread." Asks I to my mother: "Mom, what does Daddy mean by that?" Replies my wise mother. "Daddy bet on Tech too." See these things always have a rational explanation. As I recall, Tech ended up winning by about ten points and had the ball deep in Tulane territory late in the game but did not score.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
There was considerable controversy over what was alleged to be "staged" improvements in the weight room shortly after idiot Collins took over. It is alleged that a bunch of the guys were "pre-exhausted" before establishing their "baseline" for stuff like "how many 225 bench presses can you do" in order to make the "after" number under Collins/Caralla seem like a dramatic improvement.

That sounds more like something Collins would do but Lew had to know about it. I'm guessing Key found the deception to be distasteful at a minimum. I was stunned at how fast Key dumped Caralla.
If this is true, it is expected but disappointing none the less. Why resort to such subterfuge? Why not set realistic goals for the players and demand that they meet them? I don't understand the rationale behind this sort of thing.

gtme2000

Georgia Tech Fan
Was Long terrible?
YearFEI OffenseFEI Offense Rank
2022-0.70108
2021-0.1778
2020-0.2998
2019-0.3594

I pulled a few numbers because I thought Long would be below average, and “terrible” would be hyperbole. I was wrong.

There is play calling, and there are a lot of other facets of being an OC. Patenaude’s time here was terrible. Long’s was actually worse. The last two games looked better, but it’s rumored that Weinke called those games.

There’s the temptation to say “yeah, but Collins made him worse and messed up practice”. Collins did that with Patenaude too, and Long’s numbers are worse. There are lots of things that were weaker this year than last. Maybe Patenaude was above average and Collins dragged him down; but that would still leave Long below average on a team that needs coaching up.

—————————

As for keeping Long and the offensive staff for a year, it costs us money when we’re really low on money. That hurts. I completely understand a strategy of “stabilize the team, get people back in the stands, let the players actually learn Long’s scheme better, and standardize the terminology so that you can plug and play OCs later”.

It’s guesswork, but I don’t think Long would get much better next season if he thought it was his last. On the plus side, it’s a “contract year” and you want to look good in a contract year. On the negative side, you’re not your best self when your foot is out the door and you’re spending time networking for other jobs. Your recruiting probably takes a massive hit, unless you can convincingly say “come play for me” when you know you’re gone in six months.

I’ve also said that it really hurts a coach to have two transition seasons. If you can afford to improve you coaching staff today, do it as soon as you can afford to.

This leaves us paying coaches not to coach—at least one. I hope Key knows some good coaches and we can find the funding.
Can we get the guy from 2018 that had us at 19. That’s some impressive footballing. Must have been loaded with elite 5 stars to pull that off.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My "retirement" here (sorry the attorneys for all parties won't allow further elaboration) was made more palatable by the package I left with. I was able to dazzle the higher ups when first signing on with some eloquent razzle dazzle. And they fell for it!!! Look into it, it's a sweet gig. I would elaborate but it's my turn to tee off. Let me set my cocktail, phone and cigar down and ask the beer cart hostess to get off my lap. ;)
You are treading in thin ice. Better remember that NDA you signed or the black sedan may end up in your driveway.😲

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Yeh - saw that. Surprised me a little actually; I thought all those guys had already bolted. Remember "Morpheus" - did he even last one year?
I’m pretty sure Morpheus actually got poached by a much bigger program after CGCs first or second year.

Regardless of how Collins’ era turned out on the field, he definitely helped bring us into the 21st century media wise

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Everything starts as vodka so we'll allow it.
L
Can we get the guy from 2018 that had us at 19. That’s some impressive footballing. Must have been loaded with elite 5 stars to pull that off.
I just wanted to bump up ‘ol gtme2000’s post back up over here, because it is based on facts and should be memorized by everyone here.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Everything starts as vodka so we'll allow it.
No. Vodka comes off the still at 180-190 proof. It is almost all neutral spirit (ethanol and water). White dog (or clear whiskey) comes off no higher than 160 proof, which retains a ton of cogeners and other minor constituents that add flavor. Whiskey is not made from vodka. Gin is essentially a vodka flavored with botanicals, primarily juniper (US) and coriander (Europe). Interesting note: Gin and Geneva both come from the French (genièvre) or Dutch (genever).