General News about Key and his Staff

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Thornton’s grandfather, Billy Shaw, played guard for the Buffalo Bills and is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame (Class of 1999). Shaw also starred at Georgia Tech prior to embarking on his pro career.
Interesting. Here’s another link that just cropped up on Jake Thornton;

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Ironically, it wasn’t that. He was the “Interim DC” and we cut him loose because we wanted someone with experience
I’ll have to go back. From what I remember, CPJ wanted to keep him and even offered him, but FSU paid him more to be co-DC. I could be remembering incorrectly but that in my recollection.

Quick edit: it looks like one poster back in 2014 was saying Kelly was interviewed and did not get the job. Maybe I am thinking of something else. Regardless, I wish we had kept him instead of the direction we went.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’ll have to go back. From what I remember, CPJ wanted to keep him and even offered him, but FSU paid him more to be co-DC. I could be remembering incorrectly but that in my recollection.

Quick edit: it looks like one poster back in 2014 was saying Kelly was interviewed and did not get the job. Maybe I am thinking of something else. Regardless, I wish we had kept him instead of the direction we went.
If I remember correctly, it was a timing issue. He did interview but got the offer from FSU before he was offered by Tech and went to be a position coach for more money than we were going to pay the DC. He left before the offer was made. That's my recollection off the top of my head.