General News about Key and his Staff

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
My big complaint about radio football announcers these days is they will fail to tell you what yard line the ball is on until the play has been over for a several seconds and sometimes not until the next play is called. Since you cannot see the game, they need to let you know how the ball is being advanced during the play so you can picture it. Drives me crazy.
I 100% agree. And as much as it pains — or offends — some, even Wes developed has a terrible tendency to slow report closure on certain plays or where the heck the ball is during and after a big play. Just sayin’..

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
His best (if it ain't, it's certainly in the discussion)....."Hang on brothers and sisters, we got a thriller brewing here at Grant Field".
I agree that was his best line. Let’s also not forget his basketball phrases such as the “charity stripe” for free throws and calling jump shots “bunny shots”. Also he sometimes called football quarters “stanzas”.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
I was just commenting during the games last weekend that the art of Play-by-Play is dead. No one does that 'calling the action' thing anymore. At best, they quit talking about something unrelated to the play on the field while the play unfolds, quickly summarize it by saying "A nice run for a first down." and then get back to whatever inane chatter that the play so rudely interrupted.
TV is not much better - getting real tired of color commentators talking over the Referee. I'm much more interested in what the official has to say than whatever drivel the talking head is spouting.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
lew seemed like a great dude but i do wonder if he was that good at his job. S&C is one of the biggest difference makers for a program by far and i don’t think we had too many games we were able to impose our will on people
I don’t think that was Lew’s fault. Kinda’ the same reason why our ST’s allow so many return yards.

JacketFan137

Banned
The oiled-up before and after pics were so cringeworthy. That reeked of a CGC thing, rather than a Lew thing, but that, the dress up workouts, and the sideline weight lifting antics made their S&C look like a joke. Best to get a fresh voice in that role.
the sideline workout have been argued many times over so i won’t get into that but the dress up workout thing is not that uncommon. getting the guys to have some fun and enjoy those workouts is honestly half the battle sometimes

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
the sideline workout have been argued many times over so i won’t get into that but the dress up workout thing is not that uncommon. getting the guys to have some fun and enjoy those workouts is honestly half the battle sometimes
Oh for sure. I taught HS weights for awhile, and I didn't mind the costume workouts. It was the combination of all those things, with the baby oil pics jumping the shark.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I doubt this has anything at all to do with Lew Caralla. The reality of college athletics is that the strength coaches and athletic trainers spend more time with the athletes than any of the coaches do. This makes the head S&C coach arguably the most important person on the staff after the head coach. Any head coach is going to want to bring someone in who is unquestionably "their" choice.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I believe GT FB is going to become both physically and mentally tough. I think we've already seen some of that in the last 8 games, maybe not all of them. CBK has also mentioned ending the mistakes is a goal.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Or listening to the radio fading in and out. Ciraldo would get excited and a few seconds later you’re wondering what happened when the other team had the ball. Lavette rambles off tackle.....he’s got yardage.................gain of one.
Or....Interrrrrrrcepted...........dropped.
"Dewberry back to pass. .. he's got time ... pressure!"
Oh, Al was great. Better than drunk Munson. You never knew what the score was, what the down and distance was with that decrepit misanthrope.

Who we really miss ....

Kim King.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Has Nathan Brock formally from Ohio state always been on staff until the tech as an office of line coach? I saw him standing next to one of the recruits in a picture states of Georgia tech offensive line