General News about Key and his Staff

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Man, could this guy have any more impressive experience? We're getting some coaches and analysts with amazing pedigrees in here, and connections, too. Brent wasn't kidding when he said we're going to not only compete with our instate rival, but dominate them. I am bowled over by these hires. I think he's going to do what they said can't be done. He's shooting for the moon. He really means it. This is the beginning of our renaissance!

Only thing we're missin' is a couple scrawny, brawny dudes to make sure we get no sideline warnings. Jussayin'. Also a lotta these dudes go way back with Key. I mean we had classes together back in the day. Again, jussayin'.... 👀

On a serious note, lotta football lifers in these hires. I'm seeing a theme diametrically opposed to the tone set by the last guy..... jussayin'.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It's a staff, I would've preferred a different OC and am not overly impressed by any of the other position coach changes. The support staff additions are promising, though.
Those echo my first thoughts on some of the assistants and OC as well, but I think they've done well within the budget and it's a good thing that a lot of these coaches and analysts have extensive experience working together in the past. Hopefully the staff will dovetail together harmoniously, and at this point I'm so impressed with Key that I have faith that he knows what he's doing. It's probably hard to construct the perfect staff from the git-go, but I further have faith that if something doesn't work, Brent won't hesitate to fix it. We'll see what happens...

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Would Willie Fritz have brought in as good a staff? How does Key's staff compare to Chadwell's staff at Liberty? [coming with him from Coastal are running backs coach Willy Korn, and QB coach Newland Isaac, O line coach Bill Durkin and tight ends coach Cody Ladutko.]

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Would Willie Fritz have brought in as good a staff? How does Key's staff compare to Chadwell's staff at Liberty? [coming with him from Coastal are running backs coach Willy Korn, and QB coach Newland Isaac, O line coach Bill Durkin and tight ends coach Cody Ladutko.]

And the thing is, had we blown big bucks to bring these HCs in, how much would be left over for the staff and assistants? That has to be factored in. I think we ended up with exactly the right HC, especially for our circumstances.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

It is my POV that we could have hired Saban with his entire staff and some on the Swarm would complain that he hasn't won the NC the past two years, so he must be past his prime.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
And nobody is paying attention except us…*excellent*
I think history will show GT will start garnering some quiet attention early in the season. Sometime around the middle of the season the chatter will improve as we resemble something more like a well coached team. There's real hope to build significant momentum into 2024. We should win 6-7 this year and start showing signs of being competitive in almost every game. If nothing else, GT will no longer be the joke on most people's schedule. People will be paying attention by the end of the season/

There's plenty of risk ahead. QB is a big ? The fanbase needs to return to the Flats. That's no small task as re-winning previous customers is difficult. We've lot 4 years of fanbase involvement, turned off an entire graduating class of kids, alienated previously loyal fans with all the stupid crap that has gone on, etc. We're probably 7 years from the point there was any excitement surrounding the program, even that was muted because roughly half the fanbase was more intent on denigrating the team as being inferior instead of gettig behind the players.

For me, I'm thankful I'm excited to see what 2023 brings. It's the first time in 4 years I've had hope which is an awfully long time to wait for an old guy. We've got a leadership team in place that's competent & like good GT men they will figure out how to win. We're prodigious problem solvers after all, leaders of elite operations worldwide. We can fix a football program if we just give a damn.

THWG. Go Jackets!

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I'm too lazy or indifferent about Chadwell at this point or both to do the research, but not too lazy to ask:

How many rings does Liberty's coaching staff have at this point?

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Kelly Q reported Baker as off field.
Usually title of analyst also makes clear they are off field a and not a coach.

An FBS program currently can have a head coach, ten on-field assistant coaches, four on-field graduate assistants and five strength coaches. There is already no maximum for the off-field staffs allowed, which includes people like operations administrators, analysts and recruiting personnel. There are likely a lot of changes coming to this as what exactly the off field staff can do is not clear. https://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-news-unlimited-coaching-staffs-recruiting.

Either way I like that CBK and ADJB have good experience at Bama with working within the new college football environment and are quickly making changes. I understand why some may not be impressed with specific coaching hires, though I disagree and think the whole will be stronger than sum of its parts. I think Faulkner will be a clear step up, and help to improve the offense. A few of the others have worked with him before, or in a similar system, so that should help too. On the defensive side I think bringing in Coleman, Sherrer, and Baker, shows recruits our ties to NFL. That Semore is focused on special teams, clearly shows importance for CBK. The hiring of EJ and DofHS relations for recruiting should give a boost there. Also their hasn't been any focus on branding and marketing as it isn't directly related to football.

Either way excited for what's next.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
"It's the first time in 4 years I've had hope which is an awfully long time to wait for an old guy"
Amen, brutha !!
Aging Old Man GIF by A&E

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The new physical training team and the formalization of recruiting will quickly pay dividends.
I like the division of strength and speed. When I tried out for freshman team 65 i needed much more speed and strength - end of first day i was with OL - moved on in morning when i couldnt get out of bed.
We need to have specific short term goals in each category for each player. Imo, the players must put in the training time and the coaches need to be rewarded w player improvment.

Our best resource is the great talent base within reasonable driving distance. By having a well organized and professional staff we will build great relationships w coaches and recruits. By being organized we can find out about portals coming back to our area.