General News about Key and his Staff

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Are you proposing 2 more OL will make us significantly better than all other teams in CFB?
I'm not SOWEGA Jacket, but I'd hazard a guess that no, he's not proposing that 2 more offensive linemen will make us better than all other teams in college football.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Are there any schools that sign extra OL over other positions that this has made a difference for? The balance of numbers on rosters seems to be very consistent across teams. You rarely see more than 15 OL on roster. I think mainly looking for 2 deep, and the rest younger to develop for future play. Are you proposing 2 more OL will make us significantly better than all other teams in CFB?
I’m saying Georgia Tech football has had a consistent problem regarding the OLine. We obviously have been very poor at recruiting the right players to fix the consistent issue. Therefore, we have a few options to include getting better at picking the players who will play better or bring in volume and hope we find 7-9 who can play. I really don’t care what other teams do because the good teams fix the problems they have. And to your point about the OLine, every team in our area recruits at a higher level than we do (Auburn, UGA, Bama, FSU, UF) so yeah I think we should do something different from time to time if we have a consistent issue. I also think we should find another punter but since everyone else has one I guess we are stuck with just our one.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I totally agree which is why I can’t understand why we don’t over recruit/sign that position. If you look at our roster we have DB’s listed who never see the field. Same for WR’s. We should be signing as many OLinemen who want to come here. Those that obviously won’t ever make the cut can then transfer out. I just can’t understand why when everyone knows how important the OLine is that we don’t bring in more bodies. It’s a numbers game. I’d rather have 2 more 2 star OLinemen sign than have 2 more 3 star DB’s who will just portal out anyway when they don’t see the field. I imagine come next late October will be discussing OLine injuries and how we have a huge dropoff, etc like we talk about EVERY freaking season. I promise you if you give me 3 schollys to use I’ll find us some mean south Georgia SOB’s who just want to hit but aren’t seen by the services because either their parents can’t afford the camps or their high school coach is just fat and lazy.
I’m saying Georgia Tech football has had a consistent problem regarding the OLine. We obviously have been very poor at recruiting the right players to fix the consistent issue. Therefore, we have a few options to include getting better at picking the players who will play better or bring in volume and hope we find 7-9 who can play. I really don’t care what other teams do because the good teams fix the problems they have. And to your point about the OLine, every team in our area recruits at a higher level than we do (Auburn, UGA, Bama, FSU, UF) so yeah I think we should do something different from time to time if we have a consistent issue. I also think we should find another punter but since everyone else has one I guess we are stuck with just our one.
Didn't we just do what you suggested? 5 new OL recruited out of 19 recruits total. Seems like we focused on OL more than any other position.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
AMEN !!

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I haven't heard that Josh Crawford has officially been hired as Wide Receiver coach. Since Western Kentucky's season ended prior to Christmas, is this going to happen or is he talking to other schools? I get the OC situation since UGA is in the playoffs. But I don't get the delay on the WR coach. Obviously this is a dead week but I hope this gets resolved early in 2023.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I haven't heard that Josh Crawford has officially been hired as Wide Receiver coach. Since Western Kentucky's season ended prior to Christmas, is this going to happen or is he talking to other schools? I get the OC situation since UGA is in the playoffs. But I don't get the delay on the WR coach. Obviously this is a dead week but I hope this gets resolved early in 2023.

They technically have not officially hired any of the staff changes besides the strength and conditioning staff. The new OL, RB and OC are not listed in the staff directory. But we have already seen them out recruiting and setting up for the offseason and next season. So it is probably going to happen, and they'll announce the staff all at once after uga is done.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
His Twitter location says Atlanta. The offensive staff hires haven’t been made official yet, and it’s a dead period for recruiting. I’m sure once Faulkner is done with georgie, the offensive staff will have press conferences to publicly introduce them to the GT community.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Don't break the myth! Same as the belief we have proven receivers coming back next year!
There’s 1 obvious answer to how many TDs each RB had between the tackles. Not sure if that’s higher than the number of proven receivers on the roster.

That being said, I’m optimistic about our recruiting despite the woeful rankings. There’s no homerun hitters, but the making of a lot of solid talent that can be developed.

Key has earned 2-3 years of being the HC based on what he’s done to date. If his butt can deliver he could be in for a long and solid run at Gt.