General News about Key and his Staff

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
i’m praying our WR coach is better cause man, we did not get any separation last year. in college your qb should be getting easy looks all day and it seemed like we were asking pyron, sims and gibson to make some really tight window throws way too often
I’m not sure it’s fair to assess the WR coaches when our OL was as bad as it was most of the time. DBs can just jam you at the line and you won’t have time to get separation. The WRs looked ok in the uGA game when the OL was blocking (a little) better.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
There can only be one director of Speed: Jan de Bont.

1672007731217.png

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't get where people are thinking that Nate and Gibbs are that similar, though. I love Nate and he is quite good, but him and Gibbs are entirely different. No matter where Gibbs went he would immediately be a feature back. Nate had a good year, but he had 655 yards and 3 TDs, good stats and quite promising but nowhere near being elite or top flight, as Gibbs had 1200 yards and 6 TDs. He was also a three star recruit out of high school, compared to Gibbs being rated roughly a 96 on 247. I think the pointed difference between the two is that if Gibbs had gone to say UGA he would've been their "guy" no doubt. But if Nate goes to the dwags, then he will have to compete for regular playing time, that's where Nate has reason to stay compared to Gibbs.
Except at Georgia Tech.

Still peeved he didn't immediately become the focus of our offense, with minimum of 20 carriers a game with three or four 30 touch games during the season. Instead he was a part time player, rarely got 15 or more carries. Our best recruit since Calvin Johnson and our best running back on the field by a mile and still, he was RBBC. We were in dire need of a bell cow RB that could occasional get 200 yards and carry us to a win. We got that RB and then let him work on his cobweb collection. When he entered the portal my first thought was "good for you Jamyr"

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
Except at Georgia Tech.

Still peeved he didn't immediately become the focus of our offense, with minimum of 20 carriers a game with three or four 30 touch games during the season. Instead he was a part time player, rarely got 15 or more carries. Our best recruit since Calvin Johnson and our best running back on the field by a mile and still, he was RBBC. We were in dire need of a bell cow RB that could occasional get 200 yards and carry us to a win. We got that RB and then let him work on his cobweb collection. When he entered the portal my first thought was "good for you Jamyr"
With the offensive line being as bad as it was, there was no chance of Gibbs being a bell cow like Blake Corum or Bijan Robinson. No point in giving a guy 30 touches when there's no blocking.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Gibbs has breakaway speed and was outstanding in the open field but he wasn’t our best back by a mile because we needed guys that could that could pound the ball between the tackles. If we’d have used him properly his stats would have been better, we we were bound and determined to run him up the middle which is not his strength. He was our best back but the other 2 guys were nothing to sneeze at. 2021- Gibbs 143 carries 5.2 ypc, Mason 87 carries 5.0 ypc, Smith 68 carries 5.6 ypc.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If he's leading a team that specifically focuses on speed (foot speed, hand speed, agility, balance, etc.) AND they call their unit leaders "directors," then Director of Speed sounds about right to me. Do titles really matter?
Probably not leading a team given that we saw the whole staff listed.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
All our issues, and most mid level teams issues, evolve around 2 spots - the OLine and QB. WR’s, RB‘s, DB’, and LB’s are a dime a dozen and 90% of those position groups are interchangeable from player to player.

Our RB’s and WR’s are just fine. Sure, we may not have a Calvin or Bo but they are all capable. The problem has been we haven’t had an OLine that was serviceable and the QB we’ve had showed little leadership. Our most recent game against the best defense in the country showed that when an OLine is average that the offense can move the ball regardless of who the WR’s and RB’s are. We have been so bad along the OLine that we can make massive improvements in our performance level as a team if they become average or above average. I have no clue if it’s the players, coaching, or scheme, and I don’t really care. Hopefully our new coach does. All that matters to me are the scoreboard results.

Just like in baseball the team with the better pitcher usually wins. In football the team with the better OLine usually wins.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
All our issues, and most mid level teams issues, evolve around 2 spots - the OLine and QB. WR’s, RB‘s, DB’, and LB’s are a dime a dozen and 90% of those position groups are interchangeable from player to player.

Our RB’s and WR’s are just fine. Sure, we may not have a Calvin or Bo but they are all capable. The problem has been we haven’t had an OLine that was serviceable and the QB we’ve had showed little leadership. Our most recent game against the best defense in the country showed that when an OLine is average that the offense can move the ball regardless of who the WR’s and RB’s are. We have been so bad along the OLine that we can make massive improvements in our performance level as a team if they become average or above average. I have no clue if it’s the players, coaching, or scheme, and I don’t really care. Hopefully our new coach does. All that matters to me are the scoreboard results.

Just like in baseball the team with the better pitcher usually wins. In football the team with the better OLine usually wins.
Our WRs stunk last year. How often did you see an easy throw for any of our QB to a receiver not named McCollum and most of the throws to him were tough throws as well. Our TEs were even worse. They would drop as many balls as they would catch.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I agree that OL and QB are the two most important areas in college football. I would suggest that the biggest issue with most mid-level teams (and the difference between the top teams and these mid-level teams) is that after the first team, there is a significant drop-off in performance moving to the second and third strings. This is why you often see teams hanging with the big boys for 2 to 2-1/2 quarters and then the bottom falls out. The 1's can only go so far before becoming overwhelmed by the 1A/1B (and sometimes 1C) guys from the big boys. The 2's just can't consistently hang.

Fortunately, if your 1's on the OL and QB stay healthy, this isn't a problem, because the QB and most OL play most of the game. It's devastating on the DL.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Gibbs has breakaway speed and was outstanding in the open field but he wasn’t our best back by a mile because we needed guys that could that could pound the ball between the tackles. If we’d have used him properly his stats would have been better, we we were bound and determined to run him up the middle which is not his strength. He was our best back but the other 2 guys were nothing to sneeze at. 2021- Gibbs 143 carries 5.2 ypc, Mason 87 carries 5.0 ypc, Smith 68 carries 5.6 ypc.

Yet Gibbs scored btw the tackles more than any of those backs

JacketFan137

Banned
Our WRs stunk last year. How often did you see an easy throw for any of our QB to a receiver not named McCollum and most of the throws to him were tough throws as well. Our TEs were even worse. They would drop as many balls as they would catch.
yeah this was a glaring issue. we needed another consistent playmaker. blackburn would make a circus catch and then disappear for three weeks. TE as you said was an absolute black hole.

some was playcalling but i don’t think we have as good WRs as other teams on our schedule

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I have a big problem with folks calling out our SA's in this manner. Before one says that any Georgia Tech athlete or group of GTplayers "stinks", maybe one could imagine how he (or she) might feel if others cried out that you stink at your job or your marriage or maybe as a parent.

Or maybe you should root for another team.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree that OL and QB are the two most important areas in college football. I would suggest that the biggest issue with most mid-level teams (and the difference between the top teams and these mid-level teams) is that after the first team, there is a significant drop-off in performance moving to the second and third strings. This is why you often see teams hanging with the big boys for 2 to 2-1/2 quarters and then the bottom falls out. The 1's can only go so far before becoming overwhelmed by the 1A/1B (and sometimes 1C) guys from the big boys. The 2's just can't consistently hang.

Fortunately, if your 1's on the OL and QB stay healthy, this isn't a problem, because the QB and most OL play most of the game. It's devastating on the DL.
I totally agree which is why I can’t understand why we don’t over recruit/sign that position. If you look at our roster we have DB’s listed who never see the field. Same for WR’s. We should be signing as many OLinemen who want to come here. Those that obviously won’t ever make the cut can then transfer out. I just can’t understand why when everyone knows how important the OLine is that we don’t bring in more bodies. It’s a numbers game. I’d rather have 2 more 2 star OLinemen sign than have 2 more 3 star DB’s who will just portal out anyway when they don’t see the field. I imagine come next late October will be discussing OLine injuries and how we have a huge dropoff, etc like we talk about EVERY freaking season. I promise you if you give me 3 schollys to use I’ll find us some mean south Georgia SOB’s who just want to hit but aren’t seen by the services because either their parents can’t afford the camps or their high school coach is just fat and lazy.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I totally agree which is why I can’t understand why we don’t over recruit/sign that position. If you look at our roster we have DB’s listed who never see the field. Same for WR’s. We should be signing as many OLinemen who want to come here. Those that obviously won’t ever make the cut can then transfer out. I just can’t understand why when everyone knows how important the OLine is that we don’t bring in more bodies. It’s a numbers game. I’d rather have 2 more 2 star OLinemen sign than have 2 more 3 star DB’s who will just portal out anyway when they don’t see the field. I imagine come next late October will be discussing OLine injuries and how we have a huge dropoff, etc like we talk about EVERY freaking season. I promise you if you give me 3 schollys to use I’ll find us some mean south Georgia SOB’s who just want to hit but aren’t seen by the services because either their parents can’t afford the camps or their high school coach is just fat and lazy.
Are there any schools that sign extra OL over other positions that this has made a difference for? The balance of numbers on rosters seems to be very consistent across teams. You rarely see more than 15 OL on roster. I think mainly looking for 2 deep, and the rest younger to develop for future play. Are you proposing 2 more OL will make us significantly better than all other teams in CFB?