General Investing and Economics Discussion - No Politics

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm remembering all of those fixes to SS and Medicare done from 2008 to 2016 when Democrats had the WH and both houses of Congress part of the time.

I'm remembering that Democrats were the majority in the House and Senate both for only 2 years of the Obama presidency, and during only 4 months of that time had barely the 60 votes required to break filibuster in the Senate. It was a fight to get Obamacare passed in that short window due to blue-dog Democrats balking at essentials like the public option.

Deleted member 2897

I'm remembering that Democrats were the majority in the House and Senate both for only 2 years of the Obama presidency, and during only 4 months of that time had barely the 60 votes required to break filibuster in the Senate. It was a fight to get Obamacare passed in that short window due to blue-dog Democrats balking at essentials like the public option.

Luckily they bought off a lot of Congressmen with special carve outs in many states, like the infamous Louisiana Purchase.

The only reason they had such a short stranglehold is that they publicized what they were doing with the ACA. If they could have voted with a dead Ted Kennedy to get it done they would have. When people realized how many tens of millions would lose their insurance and how much the costs would increase, it resulted in a huge red wave.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Luckily they bought off a lot of Congressmen with special carve outs in many states, like the infamous Louisiana Purchase.

The only reason they had such a short stranglehold is that they publicized what they were doing with the ACA. If they could have voted with a dead Ted Kennedy to get it done they would have. When people realized how many tens of millions would lose their insurance and how much the costs would increase, it resulted in a huge red wave.

Uh huh. But Obamacare is more popular than ever (55% support it in a recent poll) now, and the percentage of Americans without health insurance has dropped from 18% to 11%. Tens of millions GAINED insurance. Enjoy your Senate majority while it lasts. In <10 months it comes to an end, along with your Clown Republican presidency. Medicare will be offered as a public option to everyone who wants it, and more people than ever before will have health care insurance.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Uh huh. But Obamacare is more popular than ever (55% support it in a recent poll) now, and the percentage of Americans without health insurance has dropped from 18% to 11%. Tens of millions GAINED insurance. Enjoy your Senate majority while it lasts. In <10 months it comes to an end, along with your Clown Republican presidency. Medicare will be offered as a public option to everyone who wants it, and more people than ever before will have health care insurance.

And yet you described yourself as a fiscal conservative.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow

(1). If it was so important there was certainly a window to get it done, yet the Dem leaders refused to lead on the issue.
(2). Nice of you to ignore the remainder of my post so as to not indict your own heroes with the same brush you paint Republicans with.

Deleted member 2897

LOL. 2.3% unemployment insured many more people than throwing tens of millions into Medicaid. Studies have shown Medicaid health outcomes are worse than being uninsured. Yay Obamacare!

Every election we hear about how Democrats are coming in the Senate...and then they lose seats. I mean, it’s possible they could win. But all they’ve spent their time doing is chasing down fake investigations and impeachment operations.

If Medicare expands, our national flush down the toilet will accelerate. Medicare has $50 Trilllion in unfunded liabilities. Who would want more of the single worst program in our country’s history?

Obamacare required health insurance and made it free for poor people and they still couldn’t give it away, LOLOLOLOLOL. I really enjoy being covered for smoking cessation treatments when I don’t smoke, and for pregnancies when I’ve had a vasectomy. Brilliance!

If you’re interested in more people being covered, work on economic proposals that grow jobs by helping make US jobs more competitive. That has always been and always will be the best. Stuffing tens of millions of people onto a third world Medicaid system is something to be embarrassed of.

LibertyTurns

Banned
There’s tons of proclamations on here:
A. I’m not a Liberal, I voted for every Republican since Eisenhower but I’m for socialized medicine, big government, etc.
B. My black friend (fill in the blank) is evidence of a certain position being right/wrong
C. I’m religious but I’m voting for the abortion rights dude and I’m totally cool with the sexual deviants
D. I’m not a racist but I don't want my kid bussed to THAT school or it’s OK for those kids to attend my kid’s school but NOT in the my kid’s classes
E. I believe in affirmative action, quotas, etc EXCEPT when it comes to my child/grandchild not getting accepted to GT then that’s just WRONG
You surprised? Most people really have not spent enough time thinking about what they believe in & make up crap to be politically correct or parrot what some moron that entertains them says.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
There’s tons of proclamations on here:
A. I’m not a Liberal, I voted for every Republican since Eisenhower but I’m for socialized medicine, big government, etc.
B. My black friend (fill in the blank) is evidence of a certain position being right/wrong
C. I’m religious but I’m voting for the abortion rights dude and I’m totally cool with the sexual deviants
D. I’m not a racist but I don't want my kid bussed to THAT school or it’s OK for those kids to attend my kid’s school but NOT in the my kid’s classes
E. I believe in affirmative action, quotas, etc EXCEPT when it comes to my child/grandchild not getting accepted to GT then that’s just WRONG
You surprised? Most people really have not spent enough time thinking about what they believe in & make up crap to be politically correct or parrot what some moron that entertains them says.

And like the guy who proclaims to only think rationally and believe in facts and evidence yet also claims the coronavirus was created by the Chinese government to kill off their older population. Craziness! ;)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I am. Whatever we get we should pay for. I think taxes should be raised in order to do so. I do not believe, as this president and his followers apparently do, that we should be running a ONE TRILLION DOLLAR DEFICIT.

LibertyTurns

Banned
And like the guy who proclaims to only think rationally and believe in facts and evidence yet also claims the coronavirus was created by the Chinese government to kill off their older population. Craziness! ;)
So this really deadly new virus emanates from the city where the Chinese bioterror weapons lab resides, multiple Chinese research scientists disappear when they share details of the virus, they bar outside scientific experts from the area at the onset of the outbreak, China destroys evidence which could have been helpful to controlling the spread of the disease, then China embarks on a large scale cover up. Happens in every other country just like that. Nothing to see here. Just move along.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
So this really deadly new virus emanates from the city where the Chinese bioterror weapons lab resides, multiple Chinese research scientists disappear when they share details of the virus, they bar outside scientific experts from the area at the onset of the outbreak, China destroys evidence which could have been helpful to controlling the spread of the disease, then China embarks on a large scale cover up. Happens in every other country just like that. Nothing to see here. Just move along.

Lean in harder!

Deleted member 2897

The previous all time record for unemployment filings in a single week was 692,000 in 1982. Current forecasts for this week’s unemployment filings is 1,500,000 - more than 2x the all time record.
https://news.trust.org/item/20200319190408-erroj

Remember the Great Recession - net job creation was -700,000+ for an entire month at the peak.

This is butt nasty.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
How much of a lump some of money to buy a lot of different investments with the prices down so much and the yields sky high and give to every citizen over the age of 20 a $1000 check every mo. The inv must be the safe hi yield.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Lean in harder!
So I state facts and now I’ll consider your facts. Wait, you provided zero plausible explanation for the Chinese response.

The location where it emanated from- could be purely coincidental, BUT they have a history of lack of containment out of THAT particular lab in THAT particular city. Maybe again coincidental, but what are the odds of that? Is it more or less likely it’s the case?

Secondly, why did the Chinese scientists disappear? Well, they all could have had a coordinated trip to Mongolia and have no internet there. Is it likely key scientists go missing in the middle of a crisis? You apparently think so.

China barred outside scientists. Does that make sense that you limit the number of people that could help? You seem to think that’s a rational choice by a Chinese leader really wanting to contain this.

China destroyed key samples they were sharing. A couple leaked out. You destroy critical info you need to combat the crisis? You prevent others from helping? Again you allege this is rational behavior.

China embarks on a hysterically laughable campaign to convince the world the US snuck military members over there and infected their country in order to wage war on them? Really. You going to argue that one’s ok?

I appreciate you have a different opinion, but at least state some facts to support your position other than something like Orange Man Bad or the Chinese are good and America is evil which is in essence what you’re alleging.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Bwelbo; I went back to Dec. 18 and read your message, and now I get that you were right and now I apologize to you for a thread this AM.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
So I state facts and now I’ll consider your facts. Wait, you provided zero plausible explanation for the Chinese response.

The location where it emanated from- could be purely coincidental, BUT they have a history of lack of containment out of THAT particular lab in THAT particular city. Maybe again coincidental, but what are the odds of that? Is it more or less likely it’s the case?

Secondly, why did the Chinese scientists disappear? Well, they all could have had a coordinated trip to Mongolia and have no internet there. Is it likely key scientists go missing in the middle of a crisis? You apparently think so.

China barred outside scientists. Does that make sense that you limit the number of people that could help? You seem to think that’s a rational choice by a Chinese leader really wanting to contain this.

China destroyed key samples they were sharing. A couple leaked out. You destroy critical info you need to combat the crisis? You prevent others from helping? Again you allege this is rational behavior.

China embarks on a hysterically laughable campaign to convince the world the US snuck military members over there and infected their country in order to wage war on them? Really. You going to argue that one’s ok?

I appreciate you have a different opinion, but at least state some facts to support your position other than something like Orange Man Bad or the Chinese are good and America is evil which is in essence what you’re alleging.

Keep lying! Lie harder!