Gameday! Cornell

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Wow--so I started watching in 2nd half with Tech 2 pt lead. we proceeded then to open up the 30 pt lead. I was amazed that Cornell was in the game so long.I guess they just pooped out .A little scary we let them stay around as long as they did. But , when the change came it was a avalanche.
It was a REALLY fun win for a change.
My concern
- the weak outside def,our guards are basically smaller and weaker (maybe slower)than most in ACC. ,
-on hitting outside shots- a lot easier with no pressure like a 20 pt lead (see Tadric)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
So what can we tell after a blow-out win over an overmatched team that managed to stay within 2 points of us after 35 minutes?

Part of me wants to be excited because the front line looks as good to me as I have seen in years for GT. OTOH, they weren't exactly competing against a good front line on the other side. One suspects our scrimmages are tougher than last night's game.

Further, lots of guys looks like they have really hit the gym...hard...in the offseason. They are trim, look quicker, and seem more athletic. The additions all look pretty solid to my untrained eye.

BUT, I wasn't impressed with our PG play (I am probably being overly critical here) and remain thoroughly unimpressed with Jorgensen's outside shot (Heath's too, for that matter). And, until they got worn out, Cornell absolutely shredded our defense.

So, oh ye experts of the roundball on this board....should I be excited? Or not just yet? Should I run out and purchase season tickets to get the sour taste of football out of my system? Or...wait another game or two or 5?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So what can we tell after a blow-out win over an overmatched team that managed to stay within 2 points of us after 35 minutes?

Part of me wants to be excited because the front line looks as good to me as I have seen in years for GT. OTOH, they weren't exactly competing against a good front line on the other side. One suspects our scrimmages are tougher than last night's game.

Further, lots of guys looks like they have really hit the gym...hard...in the offseason. They are trim, look quicker, and seem more athletic. The additions all look pretty solid to my untrained eye.

BUT, I wasn't impressed with our PG play (I am probably being overly critical here) and remain thoroughly unimpressed with Jorgensen's outside shot (Heath's too, for that matter). And, until they got worn out, Cornell absolutely shredded our defense.

So, oh ye experts of the roundball on this board....should I be excited? Or not just yet? Should I run out and purchase season tickets to get the sour taste of football out of my system? Or...wait another game or two or 5?

Thing I took away was that so many different guys played well. To your point, that speaks to our practices and infrasound scrimmages. We just have more experienced talent than we did a year ago. That has to make everyone better. Love the chemistry I saw out there with so many new faces. Personally, I thought both Smith and White gave us something we didn't have last year.

Smith was creating his own offense and knocking down threes, and at times, White looked like the best player on the court. Throw in Jacobs and that's a lot of offense. Looking forward to Monday night.

Couple of other random thoughts:

- Everyone appeared to be in great shape.
- Stephens looked noticeably different to me and played with confidence
- Good to see Tadric get off to a good start. Confidence is key with him.
- Frontcourt depth is sick.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Watching the replay now, without the bourbon. Cornell hit some 3s they had no business hitting. Not many team will have big men dragging Lammers and Jacobs out to the arc. Most glaring weakness is defensive rotation. Help side defense was basically non existent.

Last night we moved the ball with a purpose unlike many games last year.t

What I was looking for:
Cornell was really bad last year. And if they play well, is it because they improved or we haven't? As long as we play crisp and decisive on offense with the same effort on defense I will be pleased.
I think we agree. Cornell couldn't keep up the pace, which is the benefit/brilliance of a strategy that maximizes number of possessions against a team like that. I'm curious to see how many of our defensive lapses might have been indirectly related to our offensive/run the court philosophy. The lapses are not entirely excusable, but if we/Gregory have one thing to fall back on it's a reliable defense. So I'm encouraged after one game.

Not sure how much we'll learn against Tennessee. It'll certainly be more than last night. It's a game a normal Georgia Tech program should win, and I won't be surprised to be favored.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tennessee apparently had rebounding trouble and it happened while a significant post recruit had to sit out a game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Ray Kasongo was held out has part of an NCAA eligibility issue. He is now cleared to play. He is listed as coming from Oak Hill Academy, but ESPN shows him as a sophomore. Not sure why, as this is his 1st year with the Vols. He's 6-9, 245 and was a 3* recruit.