Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GT loses by less than 5

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • GT loses by more than 5

Votes: 38 60.3%

• Total voters

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s the coaching and players. We don’t have any player who can make an outside shot consistently and we don’t have any player who can take a defender off the dribble and score. Alvarado can get by a defender but he has zero body control when he gets past him. Ga State and Mercer‘s guards are better than our guards. Mercer’s starting 5 would beat our starting 5 nine out of ten times because they are simply better shooters and overall players. And we have players that contribute nothing to the team. Moore, Usher, and Parham bring nothing to the floor. None of them can shoot or get to the basket. And Devoe should be the 9th man. His turnovers are worse than bringing nothing.
Yet did we try to recruit any players who play on Ga State or Mercer? How can those teams be better with lower ranked recruits?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yet did we try to recruit any players who play on Ga State or Mercer? How can those teams be better with lower ranked recruits?
Yep. We recruited Neftali Alvarez (stat-stuffing PG from last night) on Mercer, as well as Jojo Toppin (FTs iced the game for GSU) & Nelson Phillips (didn't play) on Georgia State. I believe Phillips was GSU's 1st 4* player.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Didn't even bother watching after that lazy effort we threw out there Wednesday.

Fact is, we lost 10ppg and an excellent defender last year. We added absolutely nothing. We have 3 players that have the talent to see the floor and no big to allow us to do anything on D.

Rodney Howard needs to be seeing 30mpg and we need to roll with however terrible we are in the meantime because that's the only practice he's going to be getting right now.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
For those saying we have less talent than Mercer, I don't agree. Bubba Parham averaged 24 pts a game and 40 percent 3pt shooting in the same league Mercer plays in
Our coaches aren't putting our players in position to succeed

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
For those saying we have less talent than Mercer, I don't agree. Bubba Parham averaged 24 pts a game and 40 percent 3pt shooting in the same league Mercer plays in
Our coaches aren't putting our players in position to succeed
He wasn't getting the GT analytical shooting treatment then though.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think Pastner’s contract got extended the way that Brian Gregory’s did, where the buyout got substantially enlarged when you weren’t happy with performance.

I believe you are correct. The extension came after we went to the NIT for one year which is supposed to end after the 2022 / 23 season.

Last edited:

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
The players and coach were talking the talk leading up to the season but they aren't walking the walk.

I'm not expecting a change no matter what happens this season so I'll hope for the best.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I believe you are correct. The extension came after we went to the NIT for one year which is supposed to end after the 2022 / 23 season.
Pastner may decide to move on if he doesn't get another contract extension. Those are necessary for recruiting. Just happened to WBB coach at Duke. NO extension so she walked with a year left.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
Pastner may decide to move on if he doesn't get another contract extension. Those are necessary for recruiting. Just happened to WBB coach at Duke. NO extension so she walked with a year left.
LOL where is he going to go? Maybe that situation was different. Either way, I don't think we should expect him to walk away from the buyout.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep. We recruited Neftali Alvarez (stat-stuffing PG from last night) on Mercer, as well as Jojo Toppin (FTs iced the game for GSU) & Nelson Phillips (didn't play) on Georgia State. I believe Phillips was GSU's 1st 4* player.
No disrespect to Mercer or Alvarez who is a good player, last night's game wasn't about recruiting or stars. It was about a team that looked cohesive with a plan against another one that had no plan of attack or discipline. Some of the sloppiness was panic from being behind but most of it was just dumb playing and bad coaching.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
No disrespect to Mercer or Alvarez who is a good player, last night's game wasn't about recruiting or stars. It was about a team that looked cohesive with a plan against another one that had no plan of attack or discipline. Some of the sloppiness was panic from being behind but most of it was just dumb playing and bad coaching.
Someone on one of the boards said that we have better players than either Mercer or GaSt but they don't mesh as a team as well as those two teams.

Some of that is game-day coaching, but a lot is not constructing a whole team thru recruiting.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Someone on one of the boards said that we have better players than either Mercer or GaSt but they don't mesh as a team as well as those two teams.

Some of that is game-day coaching, but a lot is not constructing a whole team thru recruiting.
There are very few teams that are "complete" teams. So I am not one who buys into this is a recruiting issue we saw the first 2 games. We have talent - more than enough talent to beat either of those 2 teams. Yes we don't have Banks but 75% of the teams out there don't have a high end rim protector. The issue for us was coaching - pure and simple. We did not have a coherent strategy really on either end of the court and with that had a coach trying to figure things out on the fly - different offenses and defenses - throw it on the wall.

To me this was pre-season coaching by far #1, in game coaching #2 and recruiting a distant #3. When we play the upper end of the ACC we will see recruiting isssues for sure, but we have seen so far wasn't that.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Who? We’re in a bad situation financially but we should be able to dump a loser. This is a great b-ball job.
Well the last time we tried to hire someone. The only one showing any interest was Pastner. Going to take bug bucks to hire a winning coach & looks like there's nothing in the bank currently. Anyone with deep pockets want to step up? Just would like to see an offense. Is it really that hard to set up an offense?

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
There are very few teams that are "complete" teams. So I am not one who buys into this is a recruiting issue we saw the first 2 games. We have talent - more than enough talent to beat either of those 2 teams. Yes we don't have Banks but 75% of the teams out there don't have a high end rim protector. The issue for us was coaching - pure and simple. We did not have a coherent strategy really on either end of the court and with that had a coach trying to figure things out on the fly - different offenses and defenses - throw it on the wall.

To me this was pre-season coaching by far #1, in game coaching #2 and recruiting a distant #3. When we play the upper end of the ACC we will see recruiting isssues for sure, but we have seen so far wasn't that.
Have not been a good 3 point shooting team for who knows how long- yet they keep jacking them up. Adam Smith is the last guy I can remember that was good from 3- Devoe was pretty good last year but struggling so far.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well the last time we tried to hire someone. The only one showing any interest was Pastner. Going to take bug bucks to hire a winning coach & looks like there's nothing in the bank currently. Anyone with deep pockets want to step up? Just would like to see an offense. Is it really that hard to set up an offense?
I keep seeing second tier teams beat us with lesser talent...so my conclusion is that there are coaches out there to be had for lower price tags if you can find them. Maybe we should hire the Ga State or Mercer staffs? I'll wager they cost less than what we are paying today....

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
I keep seeing second tier teams beat us with lesser talent...so my conclusion is that there are coaches out there to be had for lower price tags if you can find them. Maybe we should hire the Ga State or Mercer staffs? I'll wager they cost less than what we are paying today....
GT is only interested in coaches if their current fan base is dying for their program to fire them. GT deserves the failure the program has had for a decade based off their terrible hires.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

So basically just make a bad hire and then pray that they work out.