• GT loses by less than 5

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • GT loses by more than 5

Votes: 38 60.3%

• Total voters

GTFLETCH

Banned
Just wait til next year!
That's what all the Josh Pastner supporters have said every year. Year 5 and this team is 0-2 with losses to lesser programs. Pastner was suppose to be an upgrade from Brian Gregory but he has set the program back years because he is an even worse coach then Brian Gregory. I say send him back to his BFF Ron Bell. #FirePastner

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
We gave up so many wide open 3 point shots while simultaneously giving them back door layups. I don't think I've ever seen a team so consistently out of position on defense. At times we were triple teaming them on perimeter leaving two players wide open.

Our offense was simply attack 1:1 (or realistically 1:3). It resulted in a relentless string of turnovers. But the bigger issue is we have an entire team of players who don't understand their roles. We have the wrong people trying to "create" on the dribble and worse yet bombing 3's early in the shot clock. We have no team play on offense - no movement off the ball, no cutting, no (effective) screens, no ball rotation, no transition game. On offense the ball never moved.

I'm concerned that what we are seeing can't easily be fixed and we will be out of contention for any post season before conference play even starts.

/

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Legit question here, why shouldn’t that be a discussion that we’d have tired legs? Not saying we still shouldn’t beat Mercer, but why wouldn’t a commentator bring up us having tired legs, playing 48 hours after the longest game in team history with a short bench? Seems like any rational commentator would discuss that during the game.
If the 48-hour turnaround is a topic we really want to discuss, then based on the NCAA tournament format, we’re truly not a tournament team.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We gave up so many wide open 3 point shots while simultaneously giving them back door layups. I don't think I've ever seen a team so consistently out of position on defense. At times we were triple teaming them on perimeter leaving two players wide open.

Our offense was simply attack 1:1 (or realistically 1:3). It resulted in a relentless string of turnovers. But the bigger issue is we have an entire team of players who don't understand their roles. We have the wrong people trying to "create" on the dribble and worse yet bombing 3's early in the shot clock. We have no team play on offense - no movement off the ball, no cutting, no (effective) screens, no ball rotation, no transition game. On offense the ball never moved.

I'm concerned that what we are seeing can't easily be fixed and we will be out of contention for any post season before conference play even starts.

/
We need to find a new basketball coach, he has had long enough

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
And bring in another coach nobody wants because we cannot pay a competent coach? We are stuck for at least another year.
This start is all on Pastner. This team can play better basketball than what they have shown. You have to practice game situations at game speed with full contact. Otherwise you look lost on offense and defense. Pastner tried to be the smartest coach in the room and ended up hurting his team. I am not as down on the players because they have shown to be capable of playing good basketball. I think the coach failed them.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
And bring in another coach nobody wants because we cannot pay a competent coach? We are stuck for at least another year.
This start is all on Pastner. This team can play better basketball than what they have shown. You have to practice game situations at game speed with full contact. Otherwise you look lost on offense and defense. Pastner tried to be the smartest coach in the room and ended up hurting his team. I am not as down on the players because they have shown to be capable of playing good basketball. I think the coach failed them.

Tend to agree Pastner's plan was too clever by half. Getting all the games in doesn't mean much if you aren't properly prepared for them. I expect they will get better, but how deep of a hole will they dig first?

GT_EE78

Banned
that's a secondary issue. If we don't make NCAAT this year I think there's ZERO chance that Pastner returns.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Easy to say "find a new coach"! The bottom line is,Tech does not have the money to fire and hire a new coach. Add on that some folks want to fire Collins, again there is no money available. Stansbury is telling us that the AD has 15 jobs to fill and please send any dontions we can! This situation could be the beginning of the end for Tech sports as wehave known it.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
But didn't Stansbury extend Pastner's contract? I may be off base, but I'm starting worry about people in leadership positions.
Who do you hire to replace him and with what money? Part of the reason he was hired in the first place was because Memphis agreed to pay part of his salary for like 3 years, that's how much they didn't want him. If MBOB wasn't so dang useless, he could have made an offer to a young guy from a lower level school instead of going after experienced coach. Now with the pandemic and recent football coaching hires, there simply aren't enough funds to terminate, let alone hire a new coach. We are stuck with basketball's version of Will Muschamp for a while unfortunately, unless someone steps up to the plate financially.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

/
This is on target - I'll skip the defensive lapses which you have captured accurately buy your are also right about roles. Bobby Cremins had roles - go back and listen - they were not complicated but strict rules- you shoot threes - you shoot low post - you play defense - you rebound - you dribble and set up the offense - you play wing and move the ball ---- it was basic. We have Usher and Devroe who both think they are Michael Jordan - Wright who is shooting stupid shots you would only try in horse - it's mind boggling.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
This is on target - I'll skip the defensive lapses which you have captured accurately buy your are also right about roles. Bobby Cremins had roles - go back and listen - they were not complicated but strict rules- you shoot threes - you shoot low post - you play defense - you rebound - you dribble and set up the offense - you play wing and move the ball ---- it was basic. We have Usher and Devroe who both think they are Michael Jordan - Wright who is shooting stupid shots you would only try in horse - it's mind boggling.
You have a bunch of players that are trying to improve their professional stock instead of trying to win.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Houston ,we have a problem. a BIG problem.Maybe a bigger problem than we want to consider.
First, we have a bball team that should be at near its peek and is WAY off that (being kind) , even with 4 Srs playing.That means that next yr is probably worse ,if possible.We can't get rid of this "coach" because we have no money to pay another decent one maybe even waiting THROUGH next yr when his contract runs out.Then it another 3-4 yrs before we can build another program-- MAYBE-again..

Lets go on to -even worse.Covid has wounded many college athletic programs severely including GT.The football program (the money maker) is on semi-shaky ground itself. Can we afford to continue as a P% school? Maybe this is all an overstatement but there is enough factual truth here to be considered.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s the coaching and players. We don’t have any player who can make an outside shot consistently and we don’t have any player who can take a defender off the dribble and score. Alvarado can get by a defender but he has zero body control when he gets past him. Ga State and Mercer‘s guards are better than our guards. Mercer’s starting 5 would beat our starting 5 nine out of ten times because they are simply better shooters and overall players. And we have players that contribute nothing to the team. Moore, Usher, and Parham bring nothing to the floor. None of them can shoot or get to the basket. And Devoe should be the 9th man. His turnovers are worse than bringing nothing.

slugboy

Staff member

/
Three point defense doesn’t bother me as much as the clear paths to the basket, including the back door layups. Mind you, it still bothers me.
Overall, our defense looked confused. I read that Pastner gave the team the day off the day after Georgia State, and it looked like they hadn’t really practiced. In the first half, the Mercer passed from one side of the arc to a shooter alone behind the other side arc, and three Tech defenders ran over to cover him, leaving two other players totally unguarded behind them. My first thought was “at least three players didn’t know their responsibilities on that play”. On both offense and defense, there’s more individual basketball than team basketball. Throughout the game, the defense followed the ball and left big holes behind them, and left Mercer players uncovered.
Several times, three Tech players were close around the basket, facing it, waiting for a defensive rebound. The ball went past them to a Mercer player who easily flipped it in the basket, undefended because all of our players were facing the other way. It was the second game in a row where most of our baskets looked hard, and most of Mercer’s looked easy.
For three point defense, I’ll tip my hat to the Mercer players who nailed a three from 6 feet+ outside the arc. I am annoyed by the three pointers by the baseline—you know a player is going to camp out there and take that three—somebody should be guarding that guy.

But didn't Stansbury extend Pastner's contract? I may be off base, but I'm starting worry about people in leadership positions.
I don’t think Pastner’s contract got extended the way that Brian Gregory’s did, where the buyout got substantially enlarged when you weren’t happy with performance.

—-
I’ll start by saying, I’m not a super deep basketball expert—I just played for fun, and mostly wrestled growing up.
On offense, both Mercer and Tech were mostly running a 4 out 1 in motion offense, but as @YlJacket said in chat, “we were running ours in name only, and were playing mostly 1:1 iso”. Moses played the 5.
When Mercer was on offense, they kept moving and cutting and running plays (that looked like plays) until our defense stretched and shifted enough that there was a gap and somebody had an open shot. They passed with a purpose. They screened much more often than we screened.
We only had a couple of plays that looked like plays. Mostly, it was “Devoe or Bubba or Jose dribble and make something happen”, and they’d get surrounded by 2-3 guys. The offensive strategy seemed mostly “individually win your matchup and you’ll get a basket”.
When your best players are your guards, I’m used to seeing your 5 stay on the weak side. Instead, Moses would either set up near the low post on one side (often starting on the strong side, but picking one side and staying there). Sometimes, he’d be in the high post, and would largely stay there. He mostly kept out of the paint.
Sometimes, if your 5 is your best player, you’ll run your offense through him and they’ll pass and distribute from inside. We didn’t do that, either.
On a play, we’d have maybe two players moving, and two would stake a claim at a fixed point outside the arc, and hardly move. I remember seeing a ton of that two years ago. It doesn’t seem accidental.
Moses is more of a 4 than a 5, but we’re playing him at the 5. When we play him at the 4, we’re weak at the 3 and the 5 on offense (and it seems like we’re weak there on defense too). The people you see scoring are Jose, Devoe, and Moses. When we play Moses at the 5, I see Bubba, Jose, and Devoe score, but we’re still not great at the 5 and we lose our best 4.

A few more stats. Our defensive numbers are terrible.
RkPlayerFG%2P%3P%FT%TRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTSORtgDRtg
2Moses Wright.500.500.500.60914.61.81.80.62.92.929.8120.7111.8
3Jordan Usher.476.600.167.62515.03.50.90.95.36.222.999.4110.3
4Michael Devoe.382.471.294.77810.03.50.00.06.54.122.591.3116.1
5Jose Alvarado.367.421.273.9237.96.64.20.03.65.422.4112.6108.6
6Bubba Parham.455.700.250.7145.02.22.20.01.45.020.1119.5113.8
7Rodney Howard.333.3331.00012.80.00.02.65.17.715.474.5108.7
8Khalid Moore.111.200.000.6259.80.03.72.43.73.78.661.8106.1
9Saba Gigiberia15.40.00.00.00.07.70.0215.1115.2
10Jordan Meka.000.0006.70.00.00.00.00.00.00.0116.9
11Kyle Sturdivant.000.000.0009.04.50.00.00.04.50.055.9118.1

[thead] [/thead]

Provided by CBB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 11/28/2020.

In contrast, here are Mercer’s

RkPlayerFG%2P%3P%FT%TRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTSORtgDRtg
1Maciej Bender.571.571.66711.21.63.26.41.64.828.7120.975.2
2Neftali Alvarez.381.357.429.8678.913.30.90.08.01.828.4108.487.0
3Leon Ayers III.474.636.2501.00015.13.81.31.33.86.327.7106.082.1
4Ross Cummings.647.714.6001.0003.54.40.00.91.72.627.1150.190.4
5James Glisson III.545.600.0001.00012.43.11.51.50.03.121.7136.883.5
6Shannon Grant.750.75018.10.00.00.03.67.221.7112.184.6
7Felipe Haase.375.300.429.50017.26.01.70.04.34.321.597.881.0
8Jacksen Greco.333.33315.93.23.20.03.23.29.683.477.0
9Jeffrey Gary.333.000.5001.0003.45.24.30.02.62.69.5106.982.5
10Diego Rivera.000.00018.10.00.00.00.00.00.00.083.1
11Patrick Urey27.113.513.50.00.00.00.0236.247.5

[thead] [/thead]

Provided by CBB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 11/28/2020.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yep. I don’t know if it was his non-contact practice strategy or what, but both of these individually were totally inexcusable. I hate it for him and his players. But suddenly he’s made an unwatchable product. I’m sad, because now I’m moving on. Hurts too much not to.

After much prayer and talking with my family and friends, I’ve decided to decommit from sadness. My recruitment to any other emotion is wide open. Please respect my decision. No interviews please.
I'd like to formally extend an offer to the Good TV Shows thread in the Lounge.