Game Thread - UVA, 1/18/2020

Deleted member 2897

We are 4-4 with our full roster. At some point, good basketball should result in more wins than losses.

Well it took a bit to get going. But We barely lost to ND and Duke. Duke is ranked, Florida State is ranked. Houston almost is. Our level play is remarkably better. Beat the absolute dog snot out of UNC and Boston College.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
100% agree that was terrible shot selection. It’s on the Moses for taking the ****, the guard for passing the ball to him in the corner, and Pastner’s for not establishing that Moses should not shoot from there. The exact same thing happened in our last home loss against Duke. Both were wasted possessions in the last two minutes of close games.

Moses has mostly stopped playing on the perimeter, so I have no idea why he took those shots. Maybe trying to play hero ball. It’s on the guards as much as Moses though. That’s a bad pass to the wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Yep - it is hard to look at a guy who was 16 and 5 in that game and think the one 3 pointer he took was the issue. I would bang on his 4 TOs more than that one 3 pointer - as much as it was undoubtedly not the shot we wanted then. To back your other point up he has only taken 8 3 pointers in all conference play. He has come a long way from the kid who was allowed to launch at will for Enloe.

Your point about the guards is spot on - even though in the set at that time it was the open pass (yes the pass they wanted us to take) but still the open pass. For CJP - don't put Moses in the corner if you don't want him taking that shot.

A lot more focus on Moses and that one 3 pointer than it/he deserves.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Wow - UVA is wounded for sure right now but still not sure what to think about that line.
Reading some of Bennet's comments right now he sounds like he is coaching GT - too many TOs, not making shots, playing decent D but can't score.
As someone else said - maybe first to 40 wins :confused:

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Well it took a bit to get going. But We barely lost to ND and Duke. Duke is ranked, Florida State is ranked. Houston almost is. Our level play is remarkably better. Beat the absolute dog snot out of UNC and Boston College.
Well, (u)NC is 1-5 in the conference, having just lost to 3-4 Pitt by 14 points. Personally, I’m becoming less and less inclined to hold up our win over them as some kind of accomplishment.

Deleted member 2897

Well, (u)NC is 1-5 in the conference, having just lost to 3-4 Pitt by 14 points. Personally, I’m becoming less and less inclined to hold up our win over them as some kind of accomplishment.

Just beating them wouldn't have been too great a win. But being up like 36-6 and beating the absolute dog snot out of them is something nobody else has done.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
This is ridiculous. A win on the road in conference is an accomplishment no matter what.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We are 4-4 with our full roster. At some point, good basketball should result in more wins than losses.

3 of our 4 losses are against RPI teams that are 37, 5, and 4. The only loss when healthy that really should stand out was ND, but ND has pretty much played everyone in conference play close, with the largest margin being 11 @UNC when UNC still had Anthony. Before the season the talk was primarily around how front loaded our conference schedule was and if we could get out of the first half at 5-5 we'd be in good shape. Now UNC being worse changes that a little, but it basically cancels our with the cuse debacle. You're right that good basketball should result in more wins than losses, but, at least in conference play, that was always more likely to happen in the back half than the front.

Currently, the level we have played at with the full roster has generally been what I think it should be. Not where I think we want to be overall, but it is a step in the right direction, considering we haven't really gotten the production that we thought we could out of Bubba and don't have Sjolund available.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This is really going to be a grind it out game. With the way they play D and having Huff, Key, and Diakite I expect it to be tough sledding getting the ball to Moses and James in good positions to score and them converting. Looking at their roster this needs to be a game where Jose, Mike, and Bubba take advantage of their back court both with putting pressure on their ball handling but also in taking advantage and creating good looks. We also can't afford to let good opportunities pass. We must hit our close in shots, and knock down some 3s to force them to come out.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Generally against a pack line defense structure you have to make 3's to win. They take away the paint and will give you 3's against a close out - especially on the back side. Requires the ball to go inside and pass out of the double team with quick movement to the backside shooter. Hasn't been our strength but I hold out hope

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Such a sloppy, stupid team. If they lose this, they desperately need to drop the appeal and do everything they can to raise money to fire Pastner.

BuzzBy

Georgia Tech Fan
First 9 Games vs Last 8 Games
Points Per Game

Rebounds Per Game

Assists Per Game

Steals Per Game

Blocks Per Game

Field Goal %
43.0%
46.5%

3PT Field Goal %