Game Thread - @ UGA, 11/20/2019

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's been said before but this could be the game for Phillips to step up, assuming Jose is a scratch. I'd like to see us mix it up defensively, switching from zone to man to man. Having several players guard 'Ant Man' could slow him down also.

Your best bet is to slow Ant Man to his averages, while trying to get the clamps elsewhere.

LibertyTurns

Banned
watch ESPN is actually no longer up and running so it keeps telling me. I had to download the ESPN app. I’m not sure if that’s the difference or not.
I got the Disney+ with Hulu and ESPN+ and magically the ACCN games are no longer blocked. It would be a lot more helpful if they just told you what you get for what you pay for.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UGA - 4 according to Vegas Insider. Sounds like the Wise guys are expecting a close one. I was thinking it would be closer to 7.5 or 8

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
UGA - 4 according to Vegas Insider. Sounds like the Wise guys are expecting a close one. I was thinking it would be closer to 7.5 or 8

uga and GT are #61 and 62 in Kenpom now. Vegas models are similar. It is a home court (a weak home court) spread.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Regardless if Alvarado plays or not Bubba Parham needs to step up and hit some buckets. It's only a matter of time he goes off, and this would be a good game for that.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It's hard to get a great read on this game.

Last year UGA was 11-21 and 2-16 in conference. They beat us, but by the end of the year we were al;most certainly the better team, and they lost their best player in Claxton. This year they have played Western Carolina, Deleware State, and Citadel. They scored 91 against WCU who otherwise allowed FSU to score 79 but held other opponents to 59 and 64. They scored 95 against Citadel, but Citadel gave up 91 to UNCA and 87 to Campbell. They scored 100 to deleware state, but DSU averaged giving up 86 to the likes of Liscomb, Manhatten, and Rider.

Basically, they've put up a lot of points on a bunch of teams that give up a lot of points to most teams they play. The big key to me is the back court. They are running a freshman Edwards 28 minutes, a freshman Wheeler 23, and a transfer from North Eastern in Greshman 24. Basically, other than Crump most of the guards they will be running out have not seen consistent P5 play. We need to take advantage of that, not only directly but with trying to force the issue into Hammonds on the inside and try to get him in foul trouble. If he sits Banks and Wright should dominate inside.

I almost wonder what the best chance is. Do we just play Edwards straight up and focus on taking away the other pieces on the belief that he isn't likely to beat us by himself, or do we try and force the ball out of his hands with some extra attention off of screens and the like? I'm leaning towards just trying to play him straight up with a combination of Moore and Phillips guarding him, and seeing if he really has the skills to take over because he's untested at this level as of now.

I really wish Jose was 100% for this game.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
With the amount of points they have scored I assume (without seeing them or looking at Kenpom) that they have played at a pretty fast tempo and been able to get out and run routinely. That is the first thing I take away. Make sure they play in the half court against a set defense whether it is man or our zone. If their 3 guards are pure shooters I go man, if they are slash/kick kind of guys I go zone. We probably will play a mix anyway as Bubba is getting major minutes tonight whether Jose can play some or not - and I would want to hide him and likely Banks in the zone for stretches to preserve fouls.

On offense I would want to see if we couldn't run selectively and get a few easy baskets. That always lubricates things with a team. Beyond that DeVoe has to have the same game he has shown so far but Bubba has to step up. Really don't know enough about either team yet to have an opinion on what will happen but looking forward to it.

GT_EE78

Banned

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
It's hard to get a great read on this game.

Last year UGA was 11-21 and 2-16 in conference. They beat us, but by the end of the year we were al;most certainly the better team, and they lost their best player in Claxton. This year they have played Western Carolina, Deleware State, and Citadel. They scored 91 against WCU who otherwise allowed FSU to score 79 but held other opponents to 59 and 64. They scored 95 against Citadel, but Citadel gave up 91 to UNCA and 87 to Campbell. They scored 100 to deleware state, but DSU averaged giving up 86 to the likes of Liscomb, Manhatten, and Rider.

Basically, they've put up a lot of points on a bunch of teams that give up a lot of points to most teams they play. The big key to me is the back court. They are running a freshman Edwards 28 minutes, a freshman Wheeler 23, and a transfer from North Eastern in Greshman 24. Basically, other than Crump most of the guards they will be running out have not seen consistent P5 play. We need to take advantage of that, not only directly but with trying to force the issue into Hammonds on the inside and try to get him in foul trouble. If he sits Banks and Wright should dominate inside.

I almost wonder what the best chance is. Do we just play Edwards straight up and focus on taking away the other pieces on the belief that he isn't likely to beat us by himself, or do we try and force the ball out of his hands with some extra attention off of screens and the like? I'm leaning towards just trying to play him straight up with a combination of Moore and Phillips guarding him, and seeing if he really has the skills to take over because he's untested at this level as of now.

I really wish Jose was 100% for this game.
Good take. Agree.