Game Thread - @ UGA, 11/20/2019

Deleted member 2897

I'm not going to stress about this game very much. Usher is out. Alvarado may be out. Going to be hard to win with 2 of your 5 starters out. Hopefully even if Alvarado isn't recovered he'll still play as long as it doesn't hinder his recovery process - they're undefeated after all, so there are some extra reasons to give this one a good go.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
I'm not going to stress about this game very much. Usher is out. Alvarado may be out. Going to be hard to win with 2 of your 5 starters out. Hopefully even if Alvarado isn't recovered he'll still play as long as it doesn't hinder his recovery process - they're undefeated after all, so there are some extra reasons to give this one a good go.
Hope we can win but I'm not very confident we will esp if Alvarado is hobbled & with Usher still out. It's on the road & ugag has been scoring a ton of points #16 in offensive efficiency vs us @ #237. Their defense is not good so we'll see it how it goes.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Thanks but I tried that through Watch ESPN (I have ESPN+). Says not authorized (trying several test replays of + events). Aware of streaming as I use YouTube TV, Netflix, etc. I just call them channels.

watch ESPN is actually no longer up and running so it keeps telling me. I had to download the ESPN app. I’m not sure if that’s the difference or not.

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
Would really love to beat them after their recruiting success this pst year...will be a tough one though. Normally I’d say just rest Alvarado but this is Georgia and I want to beat them so badly.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I would love to beat them as well though being in NC I don't have the myopic dawg focus I used to have. What I do know is this team is going to need every break it can get to be bubbly this year and this is one of those make/break games (not the only one but it would be a great start for the bubble). On the other hand I don't want to replicate having a hobbled Lammers all year for Jose and if it takes sitting this game to avoid that - then so be it. And we roll right into Arkansas so it isn't like he could push this game and then have 2 weeks off while we play cupcakes.

I have no idea if he has been practicing this week or not so I guess we find out tomorrow.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
watch ESPN is actually no longer up and running so it keeps telling me. I had to download the ESPN app. I’m not sure if that’s the difference or not.

Well after all of that I went to the Ramblin Wreck site team schedule and clicked on the SEC Network+ in the corner and it gave me the teams and the start arrow. Clicked on it and of course it said event hasn't started yet, but it didn't give me the unauthorized warning so hopefully it will work Wednesday. Note: a message came up saying it IS connected by ESPN+ which I subscribe to. Who knows.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of Debbie downers in here already. I hope we whip their a$$ and I think we can if we play good defense and our guys keep their cool in a hostile environment. The place is going to be packed to the rafters full of mouth breathers. I kinda want to go, but I have a rule about staying the hell out of that cesspool. I can’t stand Crean, so I would love for Pastner to put him in his place.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A lot of Debbie downers in here already. I hope we whip their a$$ and I think we can if we play good defense and our guys keep their cool in a hostile environment. The place is going to be packed to the rafters full of mouth breathers. I kinda want to go, but I have a rule about staying the hell out of that cesspool. I can’t stand Crean, so I would love for Pastner to put him in his place.

It will be a tough game with or without Jose, but I think it is one that can be won either way. We just have to take care of the basketball and play D. Our defensive intensity and staying out of foul trouble will be critical.

If we can slow them down on offense, their D is bad enough that we will score points. They’re giving up 75 ppg. Play D, knock down some treys and I like our chances.

Ant Man will get his but we can’t let one of their others to go off. If someone like Crump or Hammonds goes off, it may be a long night.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I really like our chances with this team if Jose' can play. Watching the NCSU game, I was very surprised that except for the start of the game when NCSU was making everything and we got down 15, they were never able to make a big run against us. Even if JA can't play though, we have enough depth on this team to still win it.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

GT_EE78

Banned
Jose is questionable for the game..... from the Urinal and Constipation
He was to practice Monday for the first time since the injury.
“He’ll probably do a little stuff (Monday), but obviously, if he’s not able to go full throttle by (Tuesday), it’s going to be hard to play him on Wednesday because he’ll have missed a lot of time over a week and a half,” coach Josh Pastner said. “For his sake, we don’t want to do anything to jeopardize him for the long term.” https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...rado-kristian-sjolund/eDD6fvVlpeESbpH3an9zLI/

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Defensive strategy will be interesting to watch in this game. Are we going "back" to the 1-3-1 - especially if we don't have Jose? Or will we stick with the man we have primarily seen this year? Does that help hide Bubba a bit and save us some fouls as we are thin at PG?

If we go man I am assuming we will put Moore on Edwards. That will be a really interesting matchup to watch. If he can slow down a guy like Edwards, I like his chances with some of the other ACC scorers we will see down the stretch. I haven't seen Hammons so I don't know if it is a better matchup for Moses or Banks? If he floats I would go with Moses - Banks if he plays the paint.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If we go man I am assuming we will put Moore on Edwards. That will be a really interesting matchup to watch. If he can slow down a guy like Edwards, I like his chances with some of the other ACC scorers we will see down the stretch. I haven't seen Hammons so I don't know if it is a better matchup for Moses or Banks? If he floats I would go with Moses - Banks if he plays the paint.

Put Wright on Brown and whichever one doesn't foul out first gets to play the rest of the game with as many fouls as he wants.

I think you for sure put Banks on Hammonds though. Let Moses do Moses things on people less likely to take shots and draw fouls.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
It really sucks that Jose is questionable for this game, as bad as we need him, IMO you have to sit him if he's not 100%.
I think we will need lightning from somewhere to win this game ... maybe this is a game that Bubba goes off on ??

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Parham getting major minutes at the point might be a real benefit in the long view. The minutes could accelerate his getting accustomed to the system and developing some familiarity with his team mates, not to mention to get his shot going. Depending on Alvarado to play an entire game for the team to be competitive will be an anchor the team has to drag as the season goes along. The team needs to learn to function better than we saw against Elon without him on the floor. I want Price to get some minutes also.

Resting Alvarado may not maximize our odds to win this game, but it may improve our odds to win competitive games later in the year.

And it is one of my Pet Peeves for coaches to play injured players. I have heard coach after coach say this "An injured [Star Player X] is better than the next guy." I don't buy that. Play healthy guys and bite the bullet and allow hurt players to heal.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
It's been said before but this could be the game for Phillips to step up, assuming Jose is a scratch. I'd like to see us mix it up defensively, switching from zone to man to man. Having several players guard 'Ant Man' could slow him down also.