Game Thread - @ Pitt, 2/8/2020

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
football is now heading in the right direction! basketball next year could be good, but 2 years from now will be horrible unless cjp can sign a couple of highly rated players. players in the top 30 of their class!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We’ve spent the better part of 2 decades hating our major sports programs (football, basketball, baseball). The only reason there’s not widespread hatred of our Golf Team is nobody watches it.

Not sure when it would/could subside but for now everybody just needs to choose up sides & declare your loyalty to one side or the other so everybody knows what side you’re on.
Our golf team wins championships and the current US Amateur champion is on the team. He will play in the Masters this April. He will get a lot of positive media coverage then. Lots of positives for coach Heppler and the golf team. They are great representatives of Tech.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We’ve spent the better part of 2 decades hating our major sports programs (football, basketball, baseball). The only reason there’s not widespread hatred of our Golf Team is nobody watches it.

Not sure when it would/could subside but for now everybody just needs to choose up sides & declare your loyalty to one side or the other so everybody knows what side you’re on.

Also, our Golf Team, the only fully funded GTAA program, tends to be bad asses.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Our golf team wins championships and the current US Amateur champion is on the team. He will play in the Masters this April. He will get a lot of positive media coverage then. Lots of positives for coach Heppler and the golf team. They are great representatives of Tech.
I like our Golf Team. It’s probably unfair to lump them in the same category as the Baseball Team, but despite great players every year we seem to wilt at the end of the season.

Also, our Golf Team, the only fully funded GTAA program, tends to be bad asses.
I wasn’t aware we fully funded golf. Do we fund athletics like golf better than the average bear because GT’s leadership likes the type of student & fan it attracts? That’s probably not a good question to ask but makes you wonder.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I like our Golf Team. It’s probably unfair to lump them in the same category as the Baseball Team, but despite great players every year we seem to wilt at the end of the season.

I wasn’t aware we fully funded golf. Do we fund athletics like golf better than the average bear because GT’s leadership likes the type of student & fan it attracts? That’s probably not a good question to ask but makes you wonder.
Well funded and we have very successful golf pros and alums who love golf that fund the program. Only carry about 8 or 9 on the team and use local courses for play. We have added a practice facility but it doesn't take the facilities other sports do. It's probably close to self funded without having to sell tickets.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Back to Pitt. Overall we played well until about 5 minutes and then just seemed to collapse. Missed close shots and free throws which are critical when behind and clock stopped . Very frustrating loss. Good teams make free throws down the stretch. We had our chances.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Problem is we only have 5 players who can do good on the court with a couple off the bench who can give the team just a few minutes ok play. With that few they will start to give out with exhaustion. Also as I have been mentioning for a while now these guys are very low on BB IQ. Those easy giveaways is an example of that!

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
What bothers me the most is we have 2nd round ncaa tournament talent and can’t find a way to take advantage of a below average year as far as the acc as a whole goes.... If he can’t get in the tournament this year I can’t see it happening ever.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Back to Pitt. Overall we played well until about 5 minutes and then just seemed to collapse. Missed close shots and free throws which are critical when behind and clock stopped . Very frustrating loss. Good teams make free throws down the stretch. We had our chances.
Was Pitt supposed to be that good at offensive rebounding & generating turnovers? That to me is where we lost the game.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Well funded and we have very successful golf pros and alums who love golf that fund the program. Only carry about 8 or 9 on the team and use local courses for play. We have added a practice facility but it doesn't take the facilities other sports do. It's probably close to self funded without having to sell tickets.

As @g0lftime notes, it's the choice of the golf team's benefactors to put their donated funds towards golf. It's not that many scholarships, but I believe they're all fully funded, and they have a 9-hole practice course on 14th Street, which is a bit insane if you think about the real estate development happening in Midtown.

https://ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-golf/facilities/noonan-golf-facility/

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Was Pitt supposed to be that good at offensive rebounding & generating turnovers? That to me is where we lost the game.

While Pitt did get 12 steals to our measly 1, our 22 turnovers were on us, not them. And I agree that stat, and also at the free throw line, are where we lost the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

While Pitt did get 12 steals to our measly 1, our 22 turnovers were on us, not them. And I agree that stat, and also at the free throw line, are where we lost the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. If you think about the ramifications of 22 turnovers compared to say something more average like 12, that’s 10 possessions we lost where we probably would have ended up with something like 10 points. That’s giving Pitt 10 extra possessions that ended up with something like 10 points. So that’s a 20 point swing. 22 turnovers is just completely game changing in a bad way. IIRC, Devoe himself had as many turnovers as the entire Pitt team. You can’t really beat anybody if your play effectively provides a 20 point swing.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

Good teams make shots down the stretch, free throws or otherwise. We don't seem to do that often enough.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am getting closer to that than I care to admit but you can start me and I damn sure ain't going to turn it over 22 times.

Now that may be that I am so slow and Rodman like that I foul out long before 22 TOs. :confused:

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Devoe is a really good player but I think we should honestly look at bringing him off of the bench. Be a 6th man kinda guy and let him just have the green light.